Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2021, 08:10 PM

6,888 posts, read 8,265,684 times

Advertisements

Despite Sacramento’s steady consistent moderate growth and amazing housing appreciation rate it’s never been really talked about in a big way. It’s still unknown, nationally, even southern Californians don’t know much about Sacramento or what they know is inaccurate. Sacramento’s been hitting the top 10 lists of best places to live for the last 10 years or more, but still never been at the top. Like some smaller older and newer cities that are due to “come out of nowhere”, Sacramento has steadily been coming out realizing and restoring its urban bones although very slowly hence why its still an “unknown” city,

Due to the resurgence of suburbia, Sacramento’s older mid-century huge suburban footprint has a lot to offer. Despite this suburban footprint it has a sizable dense walkable historic urban core unlike the other smaller cities in California’s Central Valley. There is a bonafide college town (UC Davis) with a real college town atmosphere within the metro, as well (UC Davis).

Sacramento is pretty far north, yet it’ s still sunbelt city hence why the seniors and retired folks stay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2021, 08:11 PM

3,885 posts, read 2,197,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
That area is growing but I still think it’s mostly due to the military and medical industries. Outside of that, it won’t have substantial growth unless Austin metro continues to grow north and you won’t see any affects on that for several decades. Still, the Killeen-Temple is growing much faster than Waco.
I'm in Belton and more people have drifted up here as an alternative to the more expensive Austin area. You are right about medicine and military being the main industries. I've heard of Killeen, Temple and Waco growing into each other in the future.

Old 02-19-2021, 08:18 PM

3,885 posts, read 2,197,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Despite Sacramento’s steady consistent moderate growth and amazing housing appreciation rate it’s never been really talked about in a big way. It’s still unknown, nationally, even southern Californians don’t know much about Sacramento or what they know is inaccurate. Sacramento’s been hitting the top 10 lists of best places to live for the last 10 years or more, but still never been at the top. Like some smaller older and newer cities that are due to “come out of nowhere”, Sacramento has steadily been coming out realizing and restoring its urban bones although very slowly hence why its still an “unknown” city,

Due to the resurgence of suburbia, Sacramento’s older mid-century huge suburban footprint has a lot to offer. Despite this suburban footprint it has a sizable dense walkable historic urban core unlike the other smaller cities in California’s Central Valley. There is a bonafide college town (UC Davis) with a real college town atmosphere within the metro, as well (UC Davis).

Sacramento is pretty far north, yet it’ s still sunbelt city hence why the seniors and retired folks stay.
I read an article once about the Bay Area, Sacramento and the cities of Modesto, Merced and Stockton forming a mega region. Some say it's already happening. Anyway I have a neighbor from Sacramento and she said it's a pretty nice city.

Old 02-19-2021, 11:58 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,121,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
What about the Trip Cities area of Tennessee (Kingsport, Bristol and Johnson City)?
Would be awesome if Amtrak was extended south from Roanoke! Maybe that would increase their odds. Roanoke seems to be doing pretty well this decade.

Old 02-20-2021, 08:50 AM

3,157 posts, read 2,208,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
I've been interested in Tennessee for awhile, I just don't like the cold winters.
Many Americans would not consider Tennessee's winters to be cold, but the spring and fall seasons tend to be more pleasant. The state has a lot to offer and both Knoxville and Chattanooga are emerging as attractive, high amenity mid-sized urban centers in scenic locations. Nashville already gets so much well-deserved recognition that I wouldn't say it meets the premise of this thread.

Old 02-20-2021, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
What about the Trip Cities area of Tennessee (Kingsport, Bristol and Johnson City)?
The Tri-Cities have an attractive natural setting, but in general are a bit stagnant. The population is heavily elderly and non-diverse with low education and income levels. Johnson City has a state university and decent amenities for its size, but I think Knoxville and Chattanooga have better prospects within east Tennessee.

Old 02-20-2021, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
I can see this with Fresno. While I’ve honestly only passed though it a few times, it does have a nice location in the center of the state about equal distance to both San Francisco and Los Angeles. I think this will be huge for those that can work from home, but still want to be within ~3hrs if need be for meetings, etc.

I could be wrong, but I’m sure I’ve seen it on several lists recently for some of the highest increases in real estate prices (and rent) this past year, and I think the aforementioned WFH has something to do with it?

It is off the coast a ways, and it will get toasty in the summer, but the backdrop of the Sierras (and proximity to them, Yosemite, Sequoia, etc) does make for a beautiful settings.
The income (and housing cost) gap between the Bay Area and San Joaquin Valley is truly massive. Places that have a bad reputation for poor air quality, high crime, weak schools and unremarkable amenities are going to struggle to draw prosperous transplants who have a lot of options - even if the reality isn't necessarily quite so bad if they choose the right community.

Old 02-20-2021, 09:42 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,206,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post
The air quality is barely worse than phoenixs, and nobody makes a big deal about phoenix's air.

Of course improvements have happened. You couldn't even see the mountains 20 years ago, now you can see them at sunrise/sunset for much of the year.

Counties/cities are starting to fight sprawl and are looking at building up. While cities outside of CA are still sprawling like crazy. Expect those places to start topping air quality lists(phoenix)

California is the number one market for electric cars, and it will just be extending that lead in the near future.

What does sf have to do with anything?
I rarely see Phoenix on the top of worst air quality lists. Of the top four, 3 will inevitably be Bakersfield, Fresno and Visalia.

I actually don’t mind the actual area at all, just the air. I know improvements have happened but it obviously hasn’t changed that area’s status as worst air quality in the nation. I brought up SF because at least 27% of the pollution in the SJV drifts over from the Bay Area and gets stuck in the valley.

Old 02-20-2021, 12:18 PM

61 posts, read 95,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
Some of the growth is overflow from Nashville, as Clarksville has a lot of affordable newer housing. There is a state university and large army base as well.
Not to mention that many Davidson Co (Nashville) folks are fleeing higher property taxes to places like Clarksville.

Old 02-20-2021, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComparedToWhere View Post
Not to mention that many Davidson Co (Nashville) folks are fleeing higher property taxes to places like Clarksville.
Article on Clarksville's growth:

https://www.theleafchronicle.com/sto...es/1714231001/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.