Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2023, 11:06 AM

2,932 posts, read 1,312,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
Bless your heart.
Your just coming out with nonsense to somehow imply your ancestry was the majority lol. Imagine calling Scots Irish the majority ancestry of whites. Mate those with Scottish ancestry significantly outnumber that minority group of Scots Irish lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2023, 11:07 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,005,970 times
You’re right. And Americans outnumber them all. So I guess the majority of white Americans are actually native Americans with white skin.

Old 09-26-2023, 11:08 AM

Quote:
You’re right. And Americans outnumber them all. So I guess the majority of white Americans are actually native Americans with white skin.
lol https://data.census.gov/table?t=Ance...T5Y2020.B04006

Scots Irish is almost 3 million. Irish protestant and Catholic at 31.5 million. English at 25.2 million though this other census has them as 20 million higher so either could be used. Look at the German however, mate they make up the VAST majority. Thats just the way it is.

Now of course the reason why i'm so interested is because i find the flucations in data interesting. German was almost at 50 million at one stage dropping to this, Ireland used to be over 40 million and English used to be almost 25% of the entire American population in 1980 before dropping off and coming back up. That fluctuation is insane to me. It makes no sense lol. That's why i'm here to find out if many Americans just claim an ancestry based on what is popular at times?

Old 09-26-2023, 11:12 AM

DNA tests tell the complete opposite story. I will continue to rely on that as opposed to what people “think” they are. But you do you mate.

Edit: the mods should make a new thread titled scots Irish discussion and move all these posts overs there or some **** cause this thread has gone way off topic.

Old 09-26-2023, 11:14 AM

By the way a similar thing was done in the likes of Mexico where so many claimed they had indigenous blood only to find out after DNA tests they were completely European. When they found out they devastated as that somehow wasn't cool to them

Old 09-26-2023, 11:15 AM

And having any sort of British ancestry other than Irish isn’t “cool” in america. As was discussed a few pages ago.

Also I doubt any Mexicans are completely European unless their parents are immigrants but yes. When Mexicans take dna tests they find they are more European than they would like to be. They don’t realize that Mexicans are pretty much by definition a mix of Spanish and Indian.

Same with some black Americans. They are hoping to be 100% black. They find out they are 10% white. This shatters them, for whatever reason.

I’m sure if a racist takes a dna test and finds out they are 1% black a similar phenomenon would occur.

Old 09-26-2023, 11:16 AM

Quote:
DNA tests tell the complete opposite story. I will continue to rely on that as opposed to what people “think” they are. But you do you mate.

Edit: the mods should make a new thread titled scots Irish discussion and move all these posts overs there or some **** cause this thread has gone way off topic.
There is no large scale DNA tests so ALL we have is data of people claiming what they say they are and history which tells us of the millions of people migrating to the US. I just find it strange how much the numbers fluctuate up and down over the years and i'm just trying to find out why?

Old 09-26-2023, 11:17 AM

Quote:
And having any sort of British ancestry other than Irish isn’t “cool” in america. As was discussed a few pages ago.
That's not true at all. Especially with the data on the front page of this thread showing English is now the largest group among whites followed by German and Irish. Why would it be any less popular than German or Irish?

Old 09-26-2023, 11:18 AM

Because america didn’t declare revolution from Germany and Ireland. Germany and Ireland didnt colonize a quarter of the world. We are talking in circles now.

Old 09-26-2023, 11:22 AM

6,794 posts, read 4,240,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
I do wonder if self-reporting of ancestry/ethnicity skews German among white people. Late elders in my family said their elders said their elders’ elders came from Germany. My documentation proves just as many came from England. I remember getting flak when I said a lot of the surnames were English. I hope they didn’t like saying “we were German” because they felt almost Nazi-esque about it. They were rural.

I think it's more likely that the 'less common' tends to stand out in people's memories and reflections as more noteworthy.

In general there was very little incentive for people to proclaim German ancestry given the anti-German atmosphere in the U.S. around WW1 and WW2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.