Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2023, 11:58 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,004,506 times

Advertisements

This is what I was looking for. I need to find one that shows Germans though.

Edit:

Found it.

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/...fig1_308031849

Can’t get the image to load but here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2023, 11:58 AM

6,470 posts, read 4,071,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post

Not sure how accurate this is. I was looking for a different photo but found this.
I would put money that the poster you’re responding to was either born in England or their parents were. Some British people have this weird inferiority complex were they believe in English exceptionalism and so they refuse to believe that America the strongest country in the world isn’t a British settler colony the same way Australia is were nearly every white person is English. It’s an annoying thing to encounter because your making a perfectly sensible argument discussion hell fact, and they’ll deny fact because if America isn’t mostly English like they learn in school then it’s not great because it’s an English country. It’s just the greatest country in the world with a strong history with England.

That mentality taints the whole attack on your obvious point.

Old 09-26-2023, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
I would put money that the poster you’re responding to was either born in England or their parents were. Some British people have this weird inferiority complex were they believe in English exceptionalism and so they refuse to believe that America the strongest country in the world isn’t a British settler colony the same way Australia is were nearly every white person is English. It’s an annoying thing to encounter because your making a perfectly sensible argument discussion hell fact, and they’ll deny fact because if America isn’t mostly English like they learn in school then it’s not great because it’s an English country. It’s just the greatest country in the world with a strong history with England.

That mentality taints the whole attack on your obvious point.
You nailed it. He is Irish though, although seems like he is a big fan of England. Funny to see you in here, hope you are doing well

Old 09-26-2023, 12:01 PM

6,791 posts, read 4,236,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy234 View Post
Lol Germany did colonize much of Africa

Not exactly. Germany briefly occupied what is today Namibia, Cameroon, Togo and Tanzania. And by briefly I mean the whole thing lasted about 30 years. Only in Namibia was there any German settlement of note. All in all, German colonial attempts only affected a small section of Africa and only for a very short amount of time.

Britain and France were the major colonial powers in Africa.

Old 09-26-2023, 12:04 PM

Imagine trying to compare British colonization to German colonization. As somebody of British ancestry I am appalled by this suggestion! The Germans have nothing on us! (Only joking)

Old 09-26-2023, 12:14 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,071,063 times
I will say while Germany was in an Africa for 30 years. They did some brutal genocides in Namibia that lead to the erasure of a people who are related to other black people but have a significant cultural divergence form the Bantu folks in their area.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Here...maqua_genocide

But back to the conversation at hand. Scots-Irish is a real culture with real cultural practices and traits.

Old 09-26-2023, 12:16 PM

From what I have heard the folks that are still in the borderlands of northern England and southern Scotland are not to dissimilar from their American cousins

Old 09-26-2023, 05:03 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,419,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Not exactly. Germany briefly occupied what is today Namibia, Cameroon, Togo and Tanzania. And by briefly I mean the whole thing lasted about 30 years. Only in Namibia was there any German settlement of note. All in all, German colonial attempts only affected a small section of Africa and only for a very short amount of time.

Britain and France were the major colonial powers in Africa.
and Portugal

Old 09-26-2023, 06:17 PM

2,932 posts, read 1,311,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Do you know the history of migration into the U.S? Specific minorities were almost exclusively the first people to migrate to the U.S. that’s why Pennsylvania had thousands of not millions of Quakers, other states had French Hugenots etcetera. Scott-Irish culture was a specific culture that migrated to Appalachia and now outnumber the number of Scottish and likely close to the number of Irish folks in America. I don’t know why you want to practice ethnic erasure so bad. You can literally google the origins and history of a well documented group.
Yes I do. I obviously know it more than you do. What you are saying is embarrassing mate. The peak period of Scots Irish migration to the US was in the 19th century and a mere 250,000 came over. Meanwhile In the 19th century Irish numbers were EIGHTEEN times this at an estimate over 4.5 million. In terms of Scots, 1.5 million emigrated to the US over the years. How many Scots Irish do you think actually existed for them to outnumber the Irish and Scots? Lol. Another poster even implied they outnumbered Germans lol.

Today there are only 3 million in the US with Scots Irish ancestry which is still alot for a small minority group. Irish is around 32 million and Scottish over 20 million. The most embarrassing post was when a poster claimed they outnumber the Germans. The Germans were the biggest group by far

SCOTS IN AMERICA IN 1717 – AND EARLIER

It really shows how ignorant people were to the county's of where they claim much of their ancestry is from to not know Any of this

Old 09-26-2023, 06:50 PM

2,932 posts, read 1,311,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
Imagine trying to compare British colonization to German colonization. As somebody of British ancestry I am appalled by this suggestion! The Germans have nothing on us! (Only joking)
The Germans have nothing on us? Mate I'm not going to be rude but you have made the most exceptional and ignorant claims I have ever read on an American forum about Europeans lol. The thing is the evidence is there. You just Ignore ALL of it lol. As for the Germans. German colonization of Europe is the reason that we have these European nations. The Germans conquered, colonized and helped create what is now England (Angles, Saxons) France (Franks), Spain (Visigoths). Italy (Ostrgoths) etc. The German tribes after the fall of the Roman Empire helped created Europe and were largely responsible for it's downfall. I don't take sides in all this is could care less. I just find it crazy that someone can get history so wrong.

The Scots Irish thing being higher than German ancestry at 40 million and higher than Irish ancestry at 32 million and even higher than Scottish ancestry at 20 million is the most insane thing I have read on here. Even when you thought you were presenting evidence you didn't understand what you were reading. By claiming Ulster making up 20% of Irish migration to the US was proof of Scots Irish migration being larger than Irish even though Ulster had a majority Irish Catholic population lol. You assumed that Ulster was a term invented by the Scots Irish when in reality it's just an entire province in Ireland. The Irish protestants who emigrated in the century primarily were IRISH not so called Scots Irish. For many with ancestry that did descend from Scotland was now centuries ago. Many Irish protestants in the 19th century were actually fairly recent converts from Catholicism who converted to Protestantism during the penal law era. How ridiculous to claim an entire people as Scots Irish just because they were protestant lol. Irish protestants do exist

It is estimated that over 6 million Irish people have emigrated to the US since 1820.
https://www.museum.ie/en-IE/Collecti...ion-to-America

The estimated 200,000 Scots-Irish who arrived between 1717 and 1775 arrived largely in Boston in the North and Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and New Castle, Delaware. Those who arrived in Boston found a cold welcome whereas those arriving further south were happier with their welcome. Learning about the lands south and west, these people moved into the areas in Pennsylvania and Ohio and into Virginia and the Carolinas, Georgia Kentucky and Tennessee where the rent was cheaper and there was more land to be had. As an ethnic group they tended to cling together.

http://userhome.brooklyn.cuny.edu/an.../issue66a.html

There is virtually no other population group that has shaped the past of the USA quite as strongly as German emigrants, with almost seven million of them making their way to the New World over the course of four centuries.

https://www.deutschland.de/en/usa/us...ur%20centuries.

Last edited by Paddy234; 09-26-2023 at 07:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.