Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2023, 09:44 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,001,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy234 View Post
Yea but they aren't Pakistani English is my point. They are English with Pakistani heritage. Scots Irish however your claiming is someone who is born in England or Scotland but because they passed through Ireland now get to call themselves Irish? lol
Quote:
The term Scotch-Irish is used primarily in the United States, with people in Great Britain or Ireland who are of a similar ancestry identifying as Ulster Scots people. Many left for America but over 100,000 Scottish Presbyterians still lived in Ulster in 1700. Many English-born settlers of this period were also Presbyterians. When King Charles I attempted to force these Presbyterians into the Church of England in the 1630s, many chose to re-emigrate to North America where religious liberty was greater. Later attempts to force the Church of England's control over dissident Protestants in Ireland led to further waves of emigration to the transatlantic colonies.
Here you go. Since you are apparently too lazy for a simple google search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2023, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Surely any Anti English sentiment in the US is long gone? i mean it's been over two centuries since the last conflict with Britain lol. Also England didn't oppress or Colonize anyone. It was Britain and later the UK that did this so the Irish, English, Scottish and Welsh who were all the oppressors. A shameful part of history but certainly something that people hold a grudge against today.
England also oppressed the Irish, or at least they feel that way. Yes, there is still anti English sentiment in America. Visit america during the 4th of July if you don’t believe me. I find myself constantly having to defend England in my own group of friends lol!

I’m saying anti English but yes it is really anti British. But they do not lump the Irish in with them. At least not the Catholics. To be frank most Americans probably don’t even realize there are “two Irelands” lol

Old 09-26-2023, 09:50 AM

6,786 posts, read 4,227,308 times
Quote:
Yes but your talking about a completely different national ancestry. Scots Irish? I'm trying to make sense of this as i'm from the North of Ireland myself where such people come from and never heard of anyone refer to themselves this way. In fact i find it quite humorous. It's so silly because Irish and British cultures are simply a mishmash of each other. We are all Essentially Irish-Scottish-Welsh-English to some degree

It's a term that was created by those people in the U.S. to describe a phenomenon that had become common enough in the country to require a descriptive term. This phenomenon being that there was a significant number of people especially in the rural South who had ancestors that came from Ireland but did not consider themselves at all related to the folks in New York and Boston with names like Paddy Murphy and Liam Flaherty who went to Mass.

Old 09-26-2023, 09:51 AM

2,930 posts, read 1,308,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
Yes. Americans don’t make up any national identity either. Our national identity is American.
That is true. There is only American with ancestry from other lands. There is also only Scottish or Irish. There is no Irish English or Scots Irish or English Welsh. No such nations as just Scotland/Ireland. They are now separate. You might have actually been able to use the term Scots Irish over a millennium ago when the Irish colonized western Scotland forming the kingdom of Dal Riada which linked people of these two lands together and culturally one under the same kingdom but that is long gone.

Are there people in the US who use other terms like French German for example? I'd love to know where these terms originate and why. I do find it interesting

Old 09-26-2023, 09:52 AM

The anti British sentiment (which is mostly an American conservative thing) is more of “f the monarch” or whatever. The people saying that don’t care about English colonization. The liberals probably don’t care about the monarchy or American revolution or whatever but they do hate the British because they are colonizers. So you have two opposite sides of the same coin.

Then you have people who have Irish ancestry who just feel it is in their blood to hate the English. And then now Indian people are moving here and they probably have the biggest gripe with the British of them all. Lol.

So yes. Definitely still anti British sentiment in america. It’s not like it’s everybody though. As more people discover they are British maybe they will be a little more forgiving of them. Or maybe not.

Old 09-26-2023, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
It's a term that was created by those people in the U.S. to describe a phenomenon that had become common enough in the country to require a descriptive term. This phenomenon being that there was a significant number of people especially in the rural South who had ancestors that came from Ireland but did not consider themselves at all related to the folks in New York and Boston with names like Paddy Murphy and Liam Flaherty who went to Mass.
Ahh so they were born in Ireland. I get it now. They were Irish then, i'll leave it as that as it's less confusing. Scots Irish is just a fancy way of saying Irish protestant lol

Old 09-26-2023, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Yes. This is why it started. If the Irish Catholics never settled america then the term would probably still just be Irish.

Old 09-26-2023, 09:55 AM

Quote:
That is true. There is only American with ancestry from other lands. There is also only Scottish or Irish. There is no Irish English or Scots Irish or English Welsh. No such nations as just Scotland/Ireland. They are now separate. You might have actually been able to use the term Scots Irish over a millennium ago when the Irish colonized western Scotland forming the kingdom of Dal Riada which linked people of these two lands together and culturally one under the same kingdom but that is long gone.

Are there people in the US who use other terms like French German for example? I'd love to know where these terms originate and why. I do find it interesting
A similar term would be Anglo Norman. Maybe this isn’t used in England anymore but it definitely was at some point.

Old 09-26-2023, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
The anti British sentiment (which is mostly an American conservative thing) is more of “f the monarch” or whatever. The people saying that don’t care about English colonization. The liberals probably don’t care about the monarchy or American revolution or whatever but they do hate the British because they are colonizers. So you have two opposite sides of the same coin.

Then you have people who have Irish ancestry who just feel it is in their blood to hate the English. And then now Indian people are moving here and they probably have the biggest gripe with the British of them all. Lol.

So yes. Definitely still anti British sentiment in america. It’s not like it’s everybody though. As more people discover they are British maybe they will be a little more forgiving of them. Or maybe not.
Stop with that yankee stereotype. I have closer links to England as do many Irish people than most Americans will ever have and we Irish have friendlier relations with the English today than we do with Americans who claim to have Irish heritage. The War in Ireland ended decades ago. Today Irish and English people enjoy much Better relations with each other than English/Irish do with Americans. That is largely because we have so many people living in each other's country. There are over 300,000 British people living in Ireland and 400,000 Irish living in Britain and we have so many links mainly from family members. You'll find it hard to find an English or Irish, Scottish or Welsh person who doesn't have some link to each other's land whether it be friends or family.

The facts speak for themselves and in every census apart from this one Germans have made up the largest number of white American ancestry

Old 09-26-2023, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Stop with that yankee stereotype. I have closer links to England as do many Irish people than most Americans will ever have and we Irish have friendlier relations with the English today than we do with Americans who claim to have Irish heritage. The War in Ireland ended decades ago. Today Irish and English people enjoy much Better relations with each other than English/Irish do with Americans. That is largely because we have so many people living in each other's country. There are over 300,000 British people living in Ireland and 400,000 Irish living in Britain and we have so many links mainly from family members. You'll find it hard to find an English or Irish, Scottish or Welsh person who doesn't have some link to each other's land whether it be friends or family
I am talking about Americans of Irish ancestry.

I don’t know what goes on in Britain and it is irrelevant in my life. For the last time. Nobody is talking about modern day Irish or Scottish people. This thread is about American ethnic groups.

Unless somebody says “Irish national” or Irish citizen or something like that just assume we are talking about Americans….
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.