Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2023, 11:26 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,000,266 times

Advertisements

I think what gets lost in all of this discussion is that the vast majority of people are multiple European groups obviously because we all have ancestors that have been here for 100 or 400 years. If I have a grandfather from Germany and the rest of my family has been in America for 400 years than I am probably something like 70% British but I don’t know that but I do know that I’m German so I would just say I’m German. This is likely where all of the confusion comes from. My point is that when you look at white Americans take DNA test they are almost always some part British even if it’s a little bit and a lot of times they are almost completely British. I have traced somebody’s ancestry who is 100% German but that is because their family lived in rural Pennsylvania farming towns all their life so everybody around them was German. If you settle somewhere that wasn’t mostly German then you probably wouldn’t marry another German. Because of doing that ancestry thing I do know that there are 100% Germans in America but I doubt there are many outside of rural Midwest
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2023, 11:27 AM

On the contrary there are people that are 90% British littered all over the country. They are simply old stock Americans so why would they call themselves English. I believe that the Scottish people are probably mostly actually Scots Irish and I know for a fact many of the Irish are. In my opinion the English and the Scots Irish are the two main groups in America and Germans would be third. This is just for my own research. If anybody wants to post some white American DNA test that have substantial German ancestry‘s and feel free to do so. If not then I’m just gonna go on the Reddit later and look up white Americans DNA test and post them regardless of what comes up and I will let y’all be the judge

Old 09-26-2023, 11:31 AM

2,930 posts, read 1,307,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
Because america didn’t declare revolution from Germany and Ireland. Germany and Ireland didnt colonize a quarter of the world. We are talking in circles now.
Lol Germany did colonize much of Africa and the two bloodiest wars in American history was against Germany. Also as much as people in Ireland do disassociate themselves with the British Empire the reality is Ireland did colonize the same nations as England, Scotland and Wales. A third of Australians have Irish ancestry. When the British Empire was at it's height in the 19th century Ireland made up a third of it's manpower. Dublin was the second main city of the Empire after Dublin. I could go on. In fact Ireland wanted home rule and to remain in the UK. It was only when this was rejected did it seek full independence.

Now you might ask why don't people blame Ireland for the colonization for much of the world however one could similarly ask why don't people blame the Scottish and Welsh. Second i'd say it is largely because Ireland's recent history over the last century was that it was an enemy of this imperialistic Empire and stood for freedom but look back a century further and you will find Ireland was very much an essential part of the imperialistic machine. It's history is Paradoxial

No-one therefore hates England today for it's past. Most people like the English today. The past is the past therefore there is no way Americans wouldn't be proud of this heritage. A heritage that give birth to their existence

Old 09-26-2023, 11:33 AM

2,930 posts, read 1,307,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
On the contrary there are people that are 90% British littered all over the country. They are simply old stock Americans so why would they call themselves English. I believe that the Scottish people are probably mostly actually Scots Irish and I know for a fact many of the Irish are. In my opinion the English and the Scots Irish are the two main groups in America and Germans would be third. This is just for my own research. If anybody wants to post some white American DNA test that have substantial German ancestry‘s and feel free to do so. If not then I’m just gonna go on the Reddit later and look up white Americans DNA test and post them regardless of what comes up and I will let y’all be the judge
That's insane. How can so called Scots Irish who are a minority group outnumber Both Irish and Scottish. That's delusional mate. Cmon.

Old 09-26-2023, 11:38 AM

Because they are the ones who settled america.

Old 09-26-2023, 11:38 AM

2,693 posts, read 3,186,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
Since they weren't in the MENA category, are peoples like the Turks and Armenians still getting fully categorized under European as far as the Census is concerned then?

Also, does anyone else not remember having this ethnicity section when they filled out their 2020 Census, or have I personally just forgotten it?

Old 09-26-2023, 11:42 AM

6,470 posts, read 4,066,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy234 View Post
That's insane. How can so called Scots Irish who are a minority group outnumber Both Irish and Scottish. That's delusional mate. Cmon.
Do you know the history of migration into the U.S? Specific minorities were almost exclusively the first people to migrate to the U.S. that’s why Pennsylvania had thousands of not millions of Quakers, other states had French Hugenots etcetera. Scott-Irish culture was a specific culture that migrated to Appalachia and now outnumber the number of Scottish and likely close to the number of Irish folks in America. I don’t know why you want to practice ethnic erasure so bad. You can literally google the origins and history of a well documented group.

Old 09-26-2023, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
Since they weren't in the MENA category, are peoples like the Turks and Armenians still getting fully categorized under European as far as the Census is concerned then?

Also, does anyone else not remember having this ethnicity section when they filled out their 2020 Census, or have I personally just forgotten it?
I personally worked for the census so you might have forgotten. It was definitely on there.

I don’t have the time to look at the data but something I am curious about is the “white hispanic” thing. There is no “race” that most Hispanics would fit in to, as they are mostly mixed race. The most correct would be two or more races or other but I can see why they don’t want to put that. As a result, most Hispanics declare themselves as white for census purposes, regardless of If they have white skin or brown. Even some of the darker Hispanics like Dominicans will put white I think.

Curious if the number of Hispanics identifying as white has gone up or down?

Old 09-26-2023, 11:50 AM

Many of the people who fought in WW1 and WW2 were German Americans so it was easy to decipher the too. Regardless, there was definitely anti German sentiment at the time (seems to have mostly gone away). Schools that spoke in German were forced to speak in English. People were harassed for speaking German in public. It’s truly sad cause although I am not German (I am but a tiny part) they had their culture completely stripped in central texas, and I’m sure in the Midwest where Germans are even more prevelant.

Old 09-26-2023, 11:53 AM

Not sure how accurate this is. I was looking for a different photo but found this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.