Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 05:18 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
You don't know why people hate it???

Bottom ten for traffic both as far as dangerous commutes and time wasted on the roads.

Muggy hot summers -winters ok not great for Texas.

ITs growing but much of that is Katrina refugees who have increased the crime.

Air and water pollution - close to the worst in the US.

I spend time in Houston every year - I could easily pass.

I now live near Corpus Christi in a town called Rockport - SO MUCH NICER!
Not really understanding why people from Louisana are still flocking to Houston to escape Hurricane Katrina which happened years ago, to Houston which just recently experiened Hurricane Ike......you make no sense.

Old 11-17-2008, 05:27 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,842,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
I'm sorry, but I really don't get the appeal of Houston at all. It's flat, hot, and polluted.
Doesn't that describe lots of cities?

Not to mention there's a lot more to Houston than just that description.

Old 11-17-2008, 05:30 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,842,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
I've never been but of the two people I know who have.

-One went for a business meeting. After flying into town his group went to a restaurant and when they came out their car windows were smashed and all their luggage was gone.
On the upside, they got to wear jeans to the meeting the next day.

-The second told me that Houston was one giant strip mall.
- First situation: bad luck
- Second situation: person must have been on one or two ugly freeways the entire time and seen absolutely nothing else

Old 11-17-2008, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
I've never been but of the two people I know who have.

-One went for a business meeting. After flying into town his group went to a restaurant and when they came out their car windows were smashed and all their luggage was gone.
On the upside, they got to wear jeans to the meeting the next day.

-The second told me that Houston was one giant strip mall.
My friend told me New York City was a big dump.

Old 11-17-2008, 06:01 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,598,230 times
Your friend was either lying or is sadly mistaken.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
Your friend was either lying or is sadly mistaken.
or maybe he just dosen't like NYC???? it happens....

Old 11-17-2008, 07:35 PM

505 posts, read 1,386,557 times
I just looked at downtown Houston on the Birds-Eye feature on Windows maps and I must say, I am shocked at how many parking lots there are. I didn't realize there were actually so many like people were saying. It looks kind of ridiculous. Why no underground parking garages or parking garages in general? Houston could really expand if it got rid of some of the lots and built high rises.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:37 PM

395 posts, read 1,011,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
Have you ever been to Houston? It's downtown is filled with parking lots! not parking garages but ugly flat black parking lots! Houston is like one giant suburb (only in the sense that it revolves around the automobile opposed to public transit). It even has electrical wires above ground to further the ugliness. It has mass potential though...
Not nearly as much as it used to be - I actually saw a picture showing hte radical change. Also, the parking lots that do remain are outside, not in, downtown. L.A. and Atlanta are exactly the same, if not worse, btw.

The parking lots people are seeing on aerial shots are not IN downtown, they're on the edge of it. And those are what's gradually going away as people buy up the valuable land.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:45 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,412,165 times
Smile Slowly Parking lots are disappearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem3456 View Post
I just looked at downtown Houston on the Birds-Eye feature on Windows maps and I must say, I am shocked at how many parking lots there are. I didn't realize there were actually so many like people were saying. It looks kind of ridiculous. Why no underground parking garages or parking garages in general? Houston could really expand if it got rid of some of the lots and built high rises.

Downtown parking lots are slowly dissappearing. New buildings are being built on top of old parking lots.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:46 PM

395 posts, read 1,011,255 times
Lol. I just google mapped Atlanta and L.A. their downtowns are WAY WORSE! Atlanta has some massive multi-acre parking lot! haha it's so funny how people project all their insecurities on Houston. I was actually shocked lookig at Atlanta - I was wondering if it actually had big buildings/density. L.A. as a whole is one giant parking lot from the looks of it, and massive sprawling freeways. Houston has a much more dense, un-interrupted by parking lot downtown than Phoenix, L.A., or Atlanta. I think some people are looking at the parking around minute made park (which you need, since it houses like 10,000s of people.

Don't get me wrong - nobody likes parking lots. But let's get real here, it's far far from the worst offender in sprawl and strip mallishness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.