Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 08:11 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,859,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Its skyline is massive, but look at all of the parking lots. I liked Houston, but its downtown left me wanting more. Net time im there ill have to check other parts of the city out
it sounds like you weren't really trying hard to have fun downtown. there is plenty to do in the theater district. but if downtown is not your scene you could always go midtown or rice village.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:15 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,767,890 times
Well 1. how can assume this
and 2. In a great city, you don't have to try hard to have fun

Old 11-17-2008, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Well 1. how can assume this
and 2. In a great city, you don't have to try hard to have fun
Well when I went to New York City I couldn't just step outside my hotel and find things to do. I had to do some research to find things to do that I would enjoy. I"m sure the same goes for every city. If you did a little research into what the city had to offer I doubt you would have left disappointed.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:30 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,517,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
Your friend was either lying or is sadly mistaken.
Just like that other guy's friend

Old 11-17-2008, 09:04 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,844,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dem3456 View Post
I just looked at downtown Houston on the Birds-Eye feature on Windows maps and I must say, I am shocked at how many parking lots there are. I didn't realize there were actually so many like people were saying. It looks kind of ridiculous. Why no underground parking garages or parking garages in general? Houston could really expand if it got rid of some of the lots and built high rises.
I've noticed the satellite view on Google (at least in Houston's case) is a bit dated. For example, it shows a golf course where my current neighborhood is (which is fully developed with homes now... years ago it was a golf course.)

Anyway, the point being, Houston's downtown didn't hit a renaissance until less than a decade ago. Prior to that it was really just a place to work or go to the theatre district, so there had to be lots of parking. Many of the parking lots have since been redeveloped into new buildings and parks. Though there are probably still lots of parking lots...

But like someone else said, look at the satellite view of Atlanta, Phoenix, even L.A. and you'll see Houston's not alone with that.

Old 11-17-2008, 09:04 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,767,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
Well when I went to New York City I couldn't just step outside my hotel and find things to do. I had to do some research to find things to do that I would enjoy. I"m sure the same goes for every city. If you did a little research into what the city had to offer I doubt you would have left disappointed.
I saw most of Downtown (i wasn't planning on leaving downtown). I barely saw anyone on the streets. It was attractive but it left me disappointed.

Old 11-17-2008, 09:18 PM

Quote:
I saw most of Downtown (i wasn't planning on leaving downtown). I barely saw anyone on the streets. It was attractive but it left me disappointed.
Did you go to the theater district? I always see lots of people down there on weekend nights. Did you actually try to go someplace downtown or did you just drive around looking for people walking around? I'm thinking you would have had more fun if you got out of the car and went into one of the places downtown (Bayou Place, the clubs and bars on Main Street, all the restaurants, watch a game at Minute Maid Park or Toyota Center). There is plenty to do downtown.

When I went to New York City earlier this year there were several areas in Manhattan that were deserted at night. The only areas that had lots of people out on the streets were Times Square and Union Square. So next time you go to Houston pay a visit to the theater district (it's not exactly times square but you will find lots of people there having fun).

imo downtown New York City is boring at night. all the fun in midtown (just like in Houston). People go Downtown for work and people go Midtown for fun. but that doesn't mean you can't find fun things to do downtown. there is just more midtown and for others rice village is the place to go. oh ya, and don't forget to go uptown. also a great place.

Old 11-17-2008, 11:24 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,290,595 times
ITs not underrated...
Aside from
San Fran, NYC, Chicago, and Los Angeles
It probably gets mentioned most.

Old 11-17-2008, 11:40 PM

1,197 posts, read 4,783,698 times
Houston looks great, but I am just curious. Are there many walkable neighborhoods outside of downtown, or does it go straight from highrises to stripmalls?

Old 11-18-2008, 12:39 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,517,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave01 View Post
Houston looks great, but I am just curious. Are there many walkable neighborhoods outside of downtown, or does it go straight from highrises to stripmalls?
Pretty much the whole inner loop (inside 610) is very urban. Montrose, Rice Village, UH area, Downtown, River Oaks areas are nice and walkable. I live near Buffalo Bayou just west of downtown and I walk or bike almost everywhere i need to go easily. the only times I drive are when I go to College Station to see the Aggies play football ( this year at least)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.