Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 07:04 AM

2,224 posts, read 3,614,708 times

Advertisements

LOL, there is some sanity in America!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 09:38 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,947,320 times
I have a worse story than that headline...

I personally think you shouldn't have a pitbull if you live in a city or suburbs where the houses are fairly close together. Where I live in the city here, our neighbor has a pitbull that she leaves outside the house. You have to realize that in my area of Queens, there is just a slab of concrete in front of the houses (no real yards), and the sidewalk is just steps away from the front door. Anyway, they would leave their pitbull unattended out there. There are a lot of kids and pets in this neighborhood. FIVE TIMES the pitbull has managed to escape and attack. It has KILLED THREE DOGS and really injured a child. Also put a woman in the hospital. Our neighborhood is furious and calling all these different places to have the dog put down. The owners are some of the meanest neighbors you'll meet; they refuse to do anything with the dog I happened to see one of the dogs pass away in front of my house on the way to work. The 3rd time it happened, a neighbor went to the dog and tried to hit it with a bat. The owner of the pitbull's house was set on fire for this reason. After the fourth attack, someone threatened that something is going to be done after all the suffering they've made people do. They still refuse to put down the dog or leave the neighborhood. Let's just say that it's created a loootttt of drama on our block. I'm pretty sure this was on the news at some point or another. It's a big controversy.

Anyway, for this reason, pit bulls should NOT be allowed if the street is populated like it is here.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:41 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,931,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
According to the Center for Disease Control, the top 10 most dangerous dogs are:
  • 1. Pit Bulls
  • 2. Rottweilers
  • 3. German Shepherds
  • 4. Huskies
  • 5. Alaskan Malamutes
  • 6. Doberman Pinschers
  • 7. Chow Chows
  • 8. Great Danes
  • 9. St. Bernards
  • 10. Akitas
Dangerous Dogs - List of the Most Dangerous Dog breeds.

The Presa Canario is the one that scares the hell out of me...there was high profile case about 6-7 years ago involving two Presa Canarios that mauled a woman to death in San Francisco outside of her front door (Diane Whipple - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). The name translates to "crushing dog of the Canary Islands".

DSC01830 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Presa's & kids on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/presacanariodawg/1625649478/ - broken link)

Presa Canario on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/57234091@N00/311971775/ - broken link)
Geez, those things are massive beasts. I'm not afraid of too many dogs, but something that size is more akin to a lion than a dog.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I have a worse story than that headline...

I personally think you shouldn't have a pitbull if you live in a city or suburbs where the houses are fairly close together. Where I live in the city here, our neighbor has a pitbull that she leaves outside the house. You have to realize that in my area of Queens, there is just a slab of concrete in front of the houses (no real yards), and the sidewalk is just steps away from the front door. Anyway, they would leave their pitbull unattended out there. There are a lot of kids and pets in this neighborhood. FIVE TIMES the pitbull has managed to escape and attack. It has KILLED THREE DOGS and really injured a child. Also put a woman in the hospital. Our neighborhood is furious and calling all these different places to have the dog put down. The owners are some of the meanest neighbors you'll meet; they refuse to do anything with the dog I happened to see one of the dogs pass away in front of my house on the way to work. The 3rd time it happened, a neighbor went to the dog and tried to hit it with a bat. The owner of the pitbull's house was set on fire for this reason. After the fourth attack, someone threatened that something is going to be done after all the suffering they've made people do. They still refuse to put down the dog or leave the neighborhood. Let's just say that it's created a loootttt of drama on our block. I'm pretty sure this was on the news at some point or another. It's a big controversy.

Anyway, for this reason, pit bulls should NOT be allowed if the street is populated like it is here.

So one dog is reason to ban the whole breed? Sounds like your town's leadership are idiots for not having this one particular dog put down after such a track record. Sounds more like HUMAN issue than the pit bull breed.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:29 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,168,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedaddicted View Post
Well a few years ago more people in the US were bitten by Cocker Spanels than any other breed, so we might as well outlaw them too.

This is sad that people look at these numbers and fail to realize that these animals are made to be aggressive. Its also sad that we do not look at the total number of these types of animals. The Pit, the Rottie and the German Sheppard are probably 3 of the most popular breeds in the US, so it would stand to reason that if we have more of them the numbers for them would be higher.

Prosecute the people not the breed.

It's not the dogs' fault. Cesar Milan's "Daddy" is a pit bull, as is Daddy's successor.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:34 AM

4,383 posts, read 16,770,374 times
DC banned pit bulls awhile ago im pretty sure

I used to hear about pit bull attacks on elderly weekly it was really disturbing. I personally support the ban

Old 01-27-2009, 10:38 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,898,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedaddicted View Post
So one dog is reason to ban the whole breed? Sounds like your town's leadership are idiots for not having this one particular dog put down after such a track record. Sounds more like HUMAN issue than the pit bull breed.
You're right, there is a human issue. Most people do not have the patience or knowledge to raise a trustworthy and obedient animal and they often times turn mean.

I also think people have an obligation to their neighbors to own pets conducive to a relatively safe environment for everyone’s families.

If you ever see a child’s face mauled (and I hope you don't) by one of them breads, I'm guessing you will change your stance on the issue.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:48 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,720,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
You're right, there is a human issue. Most people do not have the patience or knowledge to raise a trustworthy and obedient animal and they often times turn mean.

I also think people have an obligation to their neighbors to own pets conducive to a relatively safe environment for everyone’s families.

If you ever see a child’s face mauled (and I hope you don't) by one of them breads, I'm guessing you will change your stance on the issue.
They often times do not turn mean. A very small percentage of dogs actually bite people if you compare the amount of dogs to the amount of bites. I have seen people after dog attacks and I don't act like an idiot and make blanket statements about an entire breed. Its a bad few that are actually biting people so it would be silly to get rid of all of them.
I have been attacked by black people on more than one occasion. Black people make up the majority of violent crime. You don't see me advocating a race ban since its only a few bad eggs.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post

I have a family member hit by a car and injured, driven by an elderly lady, so should I hate all eldery women because one did harm to my relative?

Old 01-27-2009, 10:51 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,898,363 times
Lol, you two are rediculous.

(You know, let's compare dogs to humans. That's very relevant)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.