Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 12:49 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,579,134 times

Advertisements

Other communities try to 'punish the deed, not the breed'

MILWAUKEE - Jacqueline Sedlar and her 12-year-old daughter were walking home when the girl peered over a neighbor's fence and a pit bull took a chunk from her eyebrow.

Cities mull pit bull bans - Crime & courts- msnbc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 01:17 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,800,248 times
According to the Center for Disease Control, the top 10 most dangerous dogs are:
  • 1. Pit Bulls
  • 2. Rottweilers
  • 3. German Shepherds
  • 4. Huskies
  • 5. Alaskan Malamutes
  • 6. Doberman Pinschers
  • 7. Chow Chows
  • 8. Great Danes
  • 9. St. Bernards
  • 10. Akitas
Dangerous Dogs - List of the Most Dangerous Dog breeds.

The Presa Canario is the one that scares the hell out of me...there was high profile case about 6-7 years ago involving two Presa Canarios that mauled a woman to death in San Francisco outside of her front door (Diane Whipple - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). The name translates to "crushing dog of the Canary Islands".

DSC01830 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Presa's & kids on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/presacanariodawg/1625649478/ - broken link)

Presa Canario on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/57234091@N00/311971775/ - broken link)

Old 01-27-2009, 02:57 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,344,312 times
What next, a ban on black men? Well, I heard they were the largest demographic in prisons so obviously such a ban would make sense, derrrrrrrrrr....................

This is what happens when people see a stat and have no context or ability to properly analyze.

Old 01-27-2009, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
What next, a ban on black men? Well, I heard they were the largest demographic in prisons so obviously such a ban would make sense, derrrrrrrrrr....................

This is what happens when people see a stat and have no context or ability to properly analyze.

We aren't talking about banning people here...we're talking about breeds of dogs with a vicious reputation and a long list of attacks/injuries/deaths caused by these breeds. I would hate to live near a dog that I'm worried about killing me or one of my dogs - in our own yard or walking down the street.

I'm a dog lover and have had dogs all of my life...I currently have 2 labrador retrievers and a weimeraner. Dogs pick up certain traits over years and years - weimeraners are known to have extreme separation anxiety due to their history as the royal dog of Germany...they were the only breed that was consistenly kept inside with the family throughout their existence (1300s-present) and over time that expectation became inherent to the breed. I think this can happen with temperment as well...when a breed is taught to fight/attack/kill for years and years, it can become inherent to that breed.

I know not all pit bulls are vicious...I've met some very docile, sweet pit bulls. But you never know what might trigger a change in its demeanor. My family had a german shepherd years ago that changed suddenly and bit a couple of people...she had to be euthanized. It was very sad because she was a sweet dog, but something changed her and she became unpredictable.

Old 01-27-2009, 04:07 AM

Read the story about Diane Wipple - I put a link in my first post. It's tragic and horrible, and I can't imagine what she went through. I actually saw the story recently on American Justice and got emotional just watching it.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:31 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,529,863 times
i guess hyenas would be out of the question

Old 01-27-2009, 06:47 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,713,676 times
This is stupid. There was a large thread on here before about this breed. I went and did the math for some simpleton morons that were trying to argue against the breed. I forgot the exact numbers, but it was a very very small percentage of this breed actually attacking people while around 98% of this breed was fine.
If you look at the history of dog attacks, its always been a different breed in the spotlight, doing the most amount of attacks. In the past it was German Shepherds and Rottweilers and Dobermans. If you ban one breed, another will take the spotlight.
People seem to forget or are too ignorant to know that this breed was bred to be human friendly. An APBT attacking a person is not natural and it had to be taught to them.

Last edited by garmin239; 01-27-2009 at 07:11 AM..

Old 01-27-2009, 06:57 AM

2,224 posts, read 3,612,563 times
Well a few years ago more people in the US were bitten by Cocker Spanels than any other breed, so we might as well outlaw them too.

This is sad that people look at these numbers and fail to realize that these animals are made to be aggressive. Its also sad that we do not look at the total number of these types of animals. The Pit, the Rottie and the German Sheppard are probably 3 of the most popular breeds in the US, so it would stand to reason that if we have more of them the numbers for them would be higher.

Prosecute the people not the breed.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:58 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,231,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedaddicted View Post
Well a few years ago more people in the US were bitten by Cocker Spanels than any other breed, so we might as well outlaw them too.

This is sad that people look at these numbers and fail to realize that these animals are made to be aggressive. Its also sad that we do not look at the total number of these types of animals. The Pit, the Rottie and the German Sheppard are probably 3 of the most popular breeds in the US, so it would stand to reason that if we have more of them the numbers for them would be higher.

Also, teach your kids to stay off of other people's property.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:00 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,529,863 times
Quote:
Quote:
Also, teach your kids to stay off of other people's property.

see, that was easy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.