Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 10:56 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,620,823 times

Advertisements

There are some good threads on 'pit bull' bans on the pets forum... 'Pit Bull' actually encases many breeds, including American Staffordshire Terrier, bulldog, and Boxers in many cases. It's a general blanket used to cover many different breeds based solely on appearance, and the media is not shy about calling everything from bull terriers to black labs pit bulls. There were a few stories not so long ago that said a family pit bull viciously attacked a young girl and nobody knew why... well, later they found out it was a yellow lab, and that it had been chained up to a 4 or so foot long chain in the backyard for many months with hardly any human contact.

I guess this means, unless they post a picture of the dog (which they usually dont because then it's easily identified as NOT a pit bull) don't automatically assume it's a pit. Oh, and look up the difference between an American Pit Bull Terrier and 'Gotti' style pit bull, WORLDS of difference...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 11:06 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,894,400 times
Well, whatever. 21% of dog related deaths are caused by Pit Bull's or Pit mixes. 21 percent is a pretty good chunk given the total number of dog breeds. I never said ban them, I'm just pointing out they are obviously more dangerous than the average dog.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:10 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,801,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
Also, teach your kids to stay off of other people's property.
So you think that most dog attacks happen on the dog owner's property? That's just not true...

Old 01-27-2009, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedaddicted View Post
Well a few years ago more people in the US were bitten by Cocker Spanels than any other breed, so we might as well outlaw them too.

This is sad that people look at these numbers and fail to realize that these animals are made to be aggressive. Its also sad that we do not look at the total number of these types of animals. The Pit, the Rottie and the German Sheppard are probably 3 of the most popular breeds in the US, so it would stand to reason that if we have more of them the numbers for them would be higher.

Prosecute the people not the breed.
I wonder how many people were disabled and/or died from their Cocker Spaniel attacks? Zero maybe?

Labrador Retrievers are the most popular breed in the U.S.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:17 AM

4,383 posts, read 16,760,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
So you think that most dog attacks happen on the dog owner's property? That's just not true...
Yea, that is definently not the truth.

These dogs are there usually not for a pet like a Labrador so they can be petted and people go aw to, but for protection and so people will stay away. These dogs aren't there for aws at all. They are dangerous dogs that are brought up to be vicious many times. You can't make a law that says you must train your dog this way or that way, it simply wouldn't work. Banning the dogs (pitbulls) themselves would.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:29 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,714,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
Well, whatever. 21% of dog related deaths are caused by Pit Bull's or Pit mixes. 21 percent is a pretty good chunk given the total number of dog breeds. I never said ban them, I'm just pointing out they are obviously more dangerous than the average dog.
21% out of only a HANDFUL of deaths. Thats peanuts. Advocating a ban on an entire population when only a select few are killing an insignificant amount of people is not logical.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
21% out of only a HANDFUL of deaths. Thats peanuts. Advocating a ban on an entire population when only a select few are killing an insignificant amount of people is not logical.
Any death that is preventable is not "insignificant".

Old 01-27-2009, 11:33 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,714,197 times
The deaths are meaningful to those close to the person, but in the big picture it is insignificant when so many more things kill a larger amount of persons. If people are advocating the banning of a certain animal or thing because a tiny amount of people die from it, we'd have to ban most things in the united states.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:35 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,620,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Yea, that is definently not the truth.

These dogs are there usually not for a pet like a Labrador so they can be petted and people go aw to, but for protection and so people will stay away. These dogs aren't there for aws at all. They are dangerous dogs that are brought up to be vicious many times. You can't make a law that says you must train your dog this way or that way, it simply wouldn't work. Banning the dogs (pitbulls) themselves would.

I'm in regular contact with more than 20 pit bulls and I can confidently say that NONE are raised for fighting or protection. My pit runs and hides when people knock on the door, so it's not 'just the breed'. I have a weird feeling your thinking about the Gotti type pits, which in my mind aren't pit bulls at all, but a gross deformation of a breed. My 115 lb pit/lab mix was the sweetest dog, and my 40 lb pit is a little scaredy cat, but loves children.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:39 AM

3,440 posts, read 5,716,406 times
Some of you here underestimate the vicousness of dogs.

Dogs will attack you unprovoked, trust me I know. They will run after you at break neck speed and you better have a fence nearby to jump or a car to jump atop on. They are very dangerous creatures. Pitbulls are not the only insane breed of dogs.

Over here in Houston, there is an area called "Lakewood". There is not a minute you do not hear a dog barking. Dogs run in the street constantly and you better not get in their way. They will keep attacking until you are DEAD. I was holding my nephew and a dog in Lakewood came running at us VERY fast. Luckily, I was near the door and ran in. I was on my brother's property.

There are also the countless stories of my nephew's constant adventures running away from dogs on their way home from school.

Perhaps putting a complete ban is not the way to go but some sort of very strict retrictions on the activities of these animals should be enforced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.