Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Southern State?
Kentucky 3 4.84%
Virginia 7 11.29%
Georgia 6 9.68%
Alabama 3 4.84%
Mississippi 0 0%
Tennessee 8 12.90%
South Carolina 2 3.23%
Florida 10 16.13%
Texas 8 12.90%
North Carolina 10 16.13%
Arkansas 3 4.84%
Louisiana 2 3.23%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 07:13 PM

3 posts, read 9,431 times

Advertisements

i love texas, i live here so maybe that affects my judgement but i love it, it has great food, nice people, tons of farmland, lots of small towns (some are nicer than others) and beautiful forests, rivers, etc.
i also have family who live in louisiana and it's nice but it was better pre-katrina it's ghetto now with a lot af crime, downtown new orleans is pretty nice now but once you get of the city it's really bad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2007, 09:36 PM

353 posts, read 504,092 times
Kentucky! Beautiful bluegrass state.

Old 05-23-2007, 05:36 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,084,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinkentucky View Post
TEXAS tops--great people, hospitality, cuisine, cities, towns, scenery, diversity, everything! May not be considered "Southern" by Southerners, but still has the elements of Southern hospitality.

Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia (the natives, anyway,) and Tennessee (1/2 hour or more south of KY) are all friendly and truly Southern.

Kentucky--I live here, stay away, it sucks, it's full of mean, uncouthe rednecks and stuck-up "white trash with money."
I am sure that's everywhere but there are plenty of great people here too.

Old 05-23-2007, 07:42 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,398,001 times
Personally I like North Carolina the best. Not a single spot of it that is ugly or undesirable. Florida would be my second pick but honestly IMO unless you're at Disney World, inland Florida is just not that exciting. If I were to live in Florida it would have to be either on its west or east coast. With North Carolina, I'll live anywhere in that state. Unquestionably one of the most beautiful states not only in the South but also in the U.S. in general. This Midwesterner would like to live in North Carolina in a cabin in the Blue Ridge Mountains when he retires in 40 years!

Old 05-23-2007, 08:00 AM

413 posts, read 2,561,203 times
Hmmm I have no idea yet - such a limited view of the South but I'm moving down in August to Alabama

There are great things in most of the states

For ColdCanadian:

Mississippi - town of Oxford with Ole Miss, historic downtown and beautiful mansions, town of Canton which is cool and they filmed A Time to Kill there, Jackson area which is pretty with the reservoir, Natchez Trace Parkway, Gulf Coast, big pine forests, reservoirs and lakes, Natchez and Vicksburg situated on bluffs above the Mississippi with big historic houses and neat towns, battlefields

I've also been to the low country area near Wilmington, North Carolina and I like that a lot. If it weren't for the damn chiggers I could walk in their woods anytime I wanted to. Too cold in the winter too for my tastes -- the best of the low country I've heard is South Carolina and Georgia but I have never been.

North Carolina, Virginia - the Blue Ridge/Shenandoah corridor is spectacular and goes on for miles and miles with tranquil valleys and soaring mountains. I'm driving down 81 on Saturday to Asheville and looking forward to it, one of the country's best drives.

Louisiana - you got the swampland, French inspired stilt homes, church communities, Spanish moss, plantations, gumbo and Cajun culture, historic New Orleans, big oak trees.

There's a lot of bad in Southern states and there's a lot of good. The South is my favorite region of the United States in any case and it will take time to know exactly where in it I want to settle down. But first I have another 3 years of schooling and just focusing on that. Out of Southern States I didn't care for though I'd have to say Arkansas, Missouri, Kentucky, West Virginia because most of them were simply too damn economically depressed. Its pretty in the summer but then you got cold rainy winters. I guess winter is not nice anywhere but when you got an abandoned coal mine to look at all winter long its not pleasant. Those areas were always rough due to poor farmland and a more frontiers sort of existence.

Old 05-23-2007, 09:50 AM

3,073 posts, read 11,576,922 times
I can't believe Georgia only got 6 out of 62 votes. To me, Georgia is "The South." And as far as Virginia getting 7 votes...mm, well I won't get into that today.

Old 05-23-2007, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallstreet1986 View Post
Hmmm I have no idea yet - such a limited view of the South but I'm moving down in August to Alabama

There are great things in most of the states

For ColdCanadian:

Mississippi - town of Oxford with Ole Miss, historic downtown and beautiful mansions, town of Canton which is cool and they filmed A Time to Kill there, Jackson area which is pretty with the reservoir, Natchez Trace Parkway, Gulf Coast, big pine forests, reservoirs and lakes, Natchez and Vicksburg situated on bluffs above the Mississippi with big historic houses and neat towns, battlefields

I've also been to the low country area near Wilmington, North Carolina and I like that a lot. If it weren't for the damn chiggers I could walk in their woods anytime I wanted to. Too cold in the winter too for my tastes -- the best of the low country I've heard is South Carolina and Georgia but I have never been.

North Carolina, Virginia - the Blue Ridge/Shenandoah corridor is spectacular and goes on for miles and miles with tranquil valleys and soaring mountains. I'm driving down 81 on Saturday to Asheville and looking forward to it, one of the country's best drives.

Louisiana - you got the swampland, French inspired stilt homes, church communities, Spanish moss, plantations, gumbo and Cajun culture, historic New Orleans, big oak trees.

There's a lot of bad in Southern states and there's a lot of good. The South is my favorite region of the United States in any case and it will take time to know exactly where in it I want to settle down. But first I have another 3 years of schooling and just focusing on that. Out of Southern States I didn't care for though I'd have to say Arkansas, Missouri, Kentucky, West Virginia because most of them were simply too damn economically depressed. Its pretty in the summer but then you got cold rainy winters. I guess winter is not nice anywhere but when you got an abandoned coal mine to look at all winter long its not pleasant. Those areas were always rough due to poor farmland and a more frontiers sort of existence.
Missouri is not a Southern state, sorry to break to you. We're mostly above the MAson-Dixon, we don't drink sweet tea, very few of us talk Southern, we lack far too many characteristics to be grouped in the South and excluded from the Midwest (Missouri Compromise line). Unless you consider Cape Girardeau and the areas of Missouri around and below it to make up most of Missouri, Missouri is a predominantly Midwestern state and fits much better with the Lower Midwest. and is normally classified as such by both the people who live there and the U.S. Census Bureau. Missourians in general do not have Southern accents either. Our winters are cold but they are not rainy at all, at least not in St. Louis. Rain is rare for most of Missouri in winter and more often comes in the form of ice and snow in the vast majority of the state. Winter is very dry for most of us and very snowy compared to Southern states. Only types of Southern economy that you describe exist in the far Southern parts of the state. Coal-mining and cotton-growing are confined to far Southeast Missouri, and we also lack the classical magnolias, etc. Simply put, Missouri does not belong on this list. West Virginia and Kentucky are entirely different worlds from this state (most of it anyway) and so is the rest of the South.

Old 05-23-2007, 01:32 PM

119 posts, read 835,152 times
Default Best Southern state

Georgia for sure. I love it so much I'm moving there in two weeks. Can't wait. Columbus, Georgia. It's so green there, laid back, and they have great food.

Old 05-23-2007, 03:29 PM

413 posts, read 2,561,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Missouri is not a Southern state, sorry to break to you. We're mostly above the MAson-Dixon, we don't drink sweet tea, very few of us talk Southern, we lack far too many characteristics to be grouped in the South and excluded from the Midwest (Missouri Compromise line). Unless you consider Cape Girardeau and the areas of Missouri around and below it to make up most of Missouri, Missouri is a predominantly Midwestern state and fits much better with the Lower Midwest. and is normally classified as such by both the people who live there and the U.S. Census Bureau. Missourians in general do not have Southern accents either. Our winters are cold but they are not rainy at all, at least not in St. Louis. Rain is rare for most of Missouri in winter and more often comes in the form of ice and snow in the vast majority of the state. Winter is very dry for most of us and very snowy compared to Southern states. Only types of Southern economy that you describe exist in the far Southern parts of the state. Coal-mining and cotton-growing are confined to far Southeast Missouri, and we also lack the classical magnolias, etc. Simply put, Missouri does not belong on this list. West Virginia and Kentucky are entirely different worlds from this state (most of it anyway) and so is the rest of the South.
To be honest and its been treated on some other topic sheets, some of those states are more considered borderline and if you really think of the South you think the deep states like Louisiana, Mississippi, South Carolina, Alabama, and Georgia. I like to give people credit where due though, some Missourians might be offended to not be considered Southern. To each his own I guess.

Old 05-23-2007, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallstreet1986 View Post
To be honest and its been treated on some other topic sheets, some of those states are more considered borderline and if you really think of the South you think the deep states like Louisiana, Mississippi, South Carolina, Alabama, and Georgia. I like to give people credit where due though, some Missourians might be offended to not be considered Southern. To each his own I guess.
See, that's just it. Some. A Few. Not most. Not half. Not all. Missouri does not equate to a Southern state. Nice rhyme...I like that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.