Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Southern State?
Kentucky 3 4.84%
Virginia 7 11.29%
Georgia 6 9.68%
Alabama 3 4.84%
Mississippi 0 0%
Tennessee 8 12.90%
South Carolina 2 3.23%
Florida 10 16.13%
Texas 8 12.90%
North Carolina 10 16.13%
Arkansas 3 4.84%
Louisiana 2 3.23%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 09:08 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,474,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
I plan on moving from Chicago to either Alabama or Tennessee. I want to get away from the population density, heavy traffic, fast pace and get more in tune with the natural element. Any idea on which state would be better?
Congrats on getting out of the city
From the research I have done and the people I have met from those places, I'd say that Alabama would probably be closer to what you're looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 09:39 PM

52 posts, read 209,002 times
I like all the states in the south, I'm so glad to have my mother from the south and lots of my family too.

Old 03-14-2008, 04:29 AM

4,682 posts, read 12,059,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
I plan on moving from Chicago to either Alabama or Tennessee. I want to get away from the population density, heavy traffic, fast pace and get more in tune with the natural element. Any idea on which state would be better?
Depends, on many factors...

What kind of job you want, if such is a requirement?
Do you want Gulf coastal area [Lower Alabama] or more inland area?
Do you want more rugged hills [NE 'bama, NE TN, for example]?

etc... etc...

Both states are wonderful, and while quite similar in many aspects, are also very different in many others. Both are also very diverse - Memphis area, for just one example, is not same as Birmingham, Nashville, Huntsville, Knoxville, etc. Overall, I love the hills of both... And FWIW, the area near Chattanooga is great, IMHO - and then in that area, you are close to 3 wonderful states.

Old 03-14-2008, 04:12 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,803,014 times
My picks:

Texas, Georgia, and to some extent Mississippi

Texas: in the South, but not of the South. Most areas I've been to in Texas do not appear to have such a provincial or "cliquish" attitude, a place where people are very much live and let live and friendly. Love the diverse scenery, large cities, and cleanliness of the place. Just a great place! I WILL live there someday!

Georgia: ATL Metro, in particular. Enjoyed my time there. Lots of malls to just walk around in (not that I'm a shopper...seriously.) Beautiful ATL skyline, large job market, plenty of nice housing, and the north GA terrain is beautiful!

Mississippi: can't beat the smell of fresh pine in a crisp airy sky. I'm not kidding! MS is the only state I've ever noticed this in. It's so beautiful down there and kind of has a "quirky" attitude that is distinctly Southern yet unique Mississippian; visit Jackson, Southaven, and Oxford among other places.

I've never been to NC or SC, so I can't rank them, really. The people I've dealt with from those states have been alright, although I'd probably rank SC as the friendlier of the two (again, from my limited experience.)

Two states that are friendly but overrated in terms of their friendliness are Tennessee and, where I live, Kentucky. They're decently friendly, sure, but it's almost a phony type of friendly. It's the "nice to your face" and polite goodness but without genuine "pleasantness," if you will. It's hard to make true friends here in Kentucky, that's for sure. Not bad states, but they're just not my cups of tea.

Old 03-14-2008, 07:21 PM

10,066 posts, read 14,444,601 times
I think the top southern state is Florida, just for the simple fact that there is so much to do there! Gorgeous beaches, getaways, resorts, fabulous theme parks, etc. North Carolina would be 2nd for me--you have amazing smoky mountains/appalachians in the west and the beautiful coast to the east. Tennessee would be third--so much to do--Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge and Smoky Mtns-Nashville, Chattanooga, Memphis, the list goes on and on.
As for geography, my list is North Carolina first, Tennessee second, then Kentucky third.

Old 03-15-2008, 10:55 AM

4,229 posts, read 17,612,023 times
North Carolina and Tennessee

Old 03-15-2008, 12:47 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm1986 View Post
My picks:

Texas, Georgia, and to some extent Mississippi

Texas: in the South, but not of the South. Most areas I've been to in Texas do not appear to have such a provincial or "cliquish" attitude, a place where people are very much live and let live and friendly. Love the diverse scenery, large cities, and cleanliness of the place. Just a great place! I WILL live there someday!
Just a note in pasing and appreciation of your point here. I am a native Texan who will adamantly argue that Texas is essentially a Southern state, although not a typical Southern state.

Anyway, I was kinda struck by the way you put it, as very recently I was reading one of those histories of the War Between the States. Anyway, partly because Texas was the least affected physically and a lot of settlement occured after it was all over, a notation was made that went something like: "Texas...a Southern state certainly, yet not completely in or of the South."

I thought that was a pretty apt observation and backs up what you say as well. Oh well, just thought I would mention that! Good post!

Old 03-15-2008, 08:43 PM

52,688 posts, read 47,955,803 times
And I can proudly say that my favorite southern state is the place I call home. A place where I can breathe. A place I can appreciate when I'm not there. A place that has so much. A place like no other.

That place is TEXAS. And I'm very Lone Star proud.

Old 03-15-2008, 09:07 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
And I can proudly say that my favorite southern state is the place I call home. A place where I can breathe. A place I can appreciate when I'm not there. A place that has so much. A place like no other.

That place is TEXAS. And I'm very Lone Star proud.
A-men, Case. We Texans are Southern proud with a special and unique Lone Star flair. Well put, my friend!

Old 03-15-2008, 11:38 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,245,990 times
This poll jess ain't right. Wess Virginny blongs heer an thass my fave-rit sutthen state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.