Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 05:26 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,805,239 times

Advertisements

Come on people...stop responding to threads like these.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2009, 06:38 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,819,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-town 720 View Post
LIAR...

Denver voted 75% for Obama

The cheese burger was first trade marked in Denver

Casual dinning...chipotle grill, Quiznos

Yada yada yada

You know nothing about this city troll...

Learn something would ya...

Mile high city
Denver - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Wow, casual dining... You sure can't find Quizno's anywhere else in the country!

I love Colorado and Denver's great, but it does seem rather bland/generic to me. It's like the Honda Accord of cities. A great car, and fun to drive...considering it's a family car... Other cities that feel generic to me include Seattle (besides the scenery), Chicago, Kansas City, Atlanta, Phoenix, Sacramento, San Diego, Philadelphia, Atlanta, Dallas, Minneapolis, Milwaukee, Oklahoma City... Could go on I'm sure.

Old 03-14-2009, 06:44 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Denver has some culture and some distinctive "western" stuff... maybe not that # street or whatever, its pretty generic, but everything else is kind of cool and has some electic hoods.

I'd go with Orlando... a **** hole. or phoenix.

lol @ Chicago and Philly being generic...every major city has certain

also lol @ chipotle and quiznos...that was kind of funny.

Old 03-14-2009, 10:04 PM

795 posts, read 2,410,109 times
Chipotle and quiznos (second largest subway chain in North America) was founded in Denver. Its casual dinning. Did Y'all get that point?

Old 03-14-2009, 11:08 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I have to go with LA, talk about surburban sprawl.....
LA can hardly be called "generic." The LA area is big and sprawling, but also filled with fascinating architecture - both vernacular and high-end - as well as with many neighborhoods and cities with their own very distinctive look and feel. I think it's perhaps because LA is so different than so many other American cities that it gets bashed so much in these forums.

Old 03-14-2009, 11:32 PM

188 posts, read 520,901 times
I think it's safe to say that LA has its own culture that is tough to duplicate. It's hardly generic.

In terms of being the most generic city, I would have to go with Indianapolis. There is absolutely nothing unique or distinct about the region's culture, food, music or dialect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
And Indy has racing and, like it or not, an overall sports culture.
Watching other people drive cars and play sports for your city is hardly culture. Indy sports teams and race car drivers are only part of a greater sports culture that's on a national level. I can think of many other cities that share the same sports culture.

Quote:
This thread is beyond stupid. If the U.S. is as diverse as so many make it out, then how are any of its cities truly "generic"?
You wouldn't know unless you actually have left Indiana. I've been to Indianapolis on numerous occasions along with other cities across this nation, and I can say for a fact that there is at least one truly 'generic' city, and its name is Indianapolis.

Old 03-15-2009, 08:20 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,533,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXperson View Post
You wouldn't know unless you actually have left Indiana. I've been to Indianapolis on numerous occasions along with other cities across this nation, and I can say for a fact that there is at least one truly 'generic' city, and its name is Indianapolis.
Sorry to burst you're bubble, but I've spent more time out of Indiana in my life than in it. I'm not a native. Plus, I split my work week between Indy and Chicago. In addition to many of this country's major cities, I've seen many in western Europe as a result of my military service.

If you don't like Indy, fine. But calling any U.S. city generic IS stupid. Sure, many may share the same characteristics (KC, Indy and Columbus are often compared to one another). But the point is that if this country is as diverse as we like to make it out to be, then there is no prototypical U.S. upon which being generic could be measured.

Old 03-15-2009, 01:23 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,915,323 times
Quote:
Chipotle and quiznos (second largest subway chain in North America) was founded in Denver. Its casual dinning. Did Y'all get that point?
sooooo what makes Denever NOT generic is that gives birth to numerous "casual dining" establishments?

Old 03-15-2009, 01:27 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Quote:
Wouldn't they both be fast food? I thought casual dining was more chilis/applebees...

Old 03-15-2009, 02:07 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,073,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
Wow, casual dining... You sure can't find Quizno's anywhere else in the country!

I love Colorado and Denver's great, but it does seem rather bland/generic to me. It's like the Honda Accord of cities. A great car, and fun to drive...considering it's a family car... Other cities that feel generic to me include Seattle (besides the scenery), Chicago, Kansas City, Atlanta, Phoenix, Sacramento, San Diego, Philadelphia, Atlanta, Dallas, Minneapolis, Milwaukee, Oklahoma City... Could go on I'm sure.
Is Portland authentic? Since you have set the bar so high, I was wondering what you think about your own state's largest city? I can think of many things that are specific to each of those cities you listed, with the exceptions of Sacramento and OKC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.