Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 03:24 PM

64 posts, read 183,921 times

Advertisements

Disagree about Kansas City, at least the downtown.

Denver's downtown is dissapointingly generic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 03:44 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,786,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
I Told you, I was going to start counting! your 0-16 positive statements or 16-16 negative statements about Atlanta

1. You said Atlanta wasn’t desirable that why it’s cheap.
2. You said Detroit is more desirable than Atlanta because it more expensive.
Yes. Supply and Demand states that a price is determined by those two factors. There is higher demand and therefore higher price for L.A. than for Atlanta. It is not an issue of supply because L.A. and its metro are each respectvely larger than Atlanta and its metro. L.A. is clearly more desirable than Atlanta to more people.

You said Detroit is more expensive than Atlanta. I said that if that's the case then yes, it is obviously more desirable than Atlanta to more people.

If you're selling beer at your bar, and you sell 500 Budweisers at $3 apiece and 100 Pabst Blue Ribbons at $1.50 apiece, which would you say is "more desirable to more people"??? I think it's clear. Likewise, if millions of people are paying higher prices for smaller properties in L.A. while fewer than a million people are paying lower prices for bigger properties in Atlanta, then I would say it's clear that L.A. is more desirable than Atlanta to more people.

Why this is a "slur" or "insult" I don't know - it's a simple fact.

Quote:
3. You said Atlanta is going to fall on it face.
Yeah, I believe it will. I see that you and all the others take it as an insult, but it's just my opinion. All the greatest cities fall flat on their faces. NYC did, Los Angeles did...why would Atlanta be exempt from that happening? Would you rather I said that Atlanta will never fall flat on its face because it has no chance of experiencing the kind of growth and size that NYC and L.A. have and do??? Whatever I say it can be construed as an insult by those of you who want to.

Quote:
4. You keep ranting about how southern food is unhealthy as if that all we eat then compare it foreign foods eaten in cali.
It is unhealthy. I never said it's "all" you eat. On the contrary, Atlantans were boasting that with good old southern food who needs anything else, but you have everything else anyway. Well, I disagree. You have excellent southern food. You don't have really good pizza or Italian food. That's fine. We have crappy southern food up in NJ. I wouldn't even eat it here, other than Cracker Barrel, and that's not as good as what you have in Atlanta. Likewise, I won't eat Pizza in Atlanta. I won't eat Mexican food in NJ or Atlanta,, I'll wait till I go to L.A. for that. So, yes, Atlanta doesn't have the same foreign foods that they have in CA - not good, anyway. No good Mexican, NO Armenian food at all, no good California cuisine. And California (and NJ) have NO good southern food, or Barbecue. Fine, no problem. That's how it goes.

Yet somehow it's insulting to you that I feel that way, but not insulting to myself when I say that NJ doesn't have good barbecue or Southern cuisine. Go figure.

Quote:
5. You said Atlanta is boring.
6. You said Atlanta great history, especially if you love the Confederates.
7. you said Atlanta is -located in the great south, known for their history of slavery and racism and for being the home of the KKK.
Yes. I find it boring there in the sense there is not much of anything to do there that I can't do at home or many other parts of the nation. I also have said that it's a nice place to live with all the conveniences of a nice place to live. Living there is no more boring than anywhere else in that sense - there are malls, movie theaters, parks, restaurants, nightlife - just like any other developed place.

Atlanta IS great if you love Confederate States of America... "Stone Mountain is well-known not only for its geology, but also for the enormous bas-relief on its north face, the largest bas-relief in the world.[1] Three figures of the Confederate States of America are carved there: Stonewall Jackson, Robert E. Lee, and Jefferson Davis."
Stone Mountain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The legacy of the Confederate States is the KKK and slavery and racism. Or is it not?

Quote:
8. You keep calling Atlanta big box what ever that means.
Generic, big, new, inexpensive for the masses. Is that a bad thing? Depends on the person. That's what some people want.

Quote:
9. You said Atlanta is out of the class with NY, Boston/Mass, Bay Area.
In terms of having character, yes, that's what I believe.

Quote:
10. You metaphor Houston Vs Atlanta name recognition as comparing the smell of Animals poop.
True, that was mean and uncalled for. That, and some of the other things I've said that are mean and uncalled for are out of frustration of dealing with Atlanta apologists. I apologize to Atlanta and Houston folks for comparing the cities to animal poop, that's not true at all and it's not what I think of either city.

Quote:
11. You said Atlanta, The culture of the city is still very Southern and American. It is not a cosmopolitan city, despite having a greater ethnic diversity, all your words.
Absolutely. It is pretty ethnically diverse, but the ethnicities are very spread out and therefore very homogenized and Americanized, very assimilated. It is a very American city, not cosmopolitan. Again, that is not an insult, just what I think of Atlanta. Not every city has to be cosmopolitan like New York or Montreal.

Quote:
12. You said Atlantans are trying so hard to turn Atlanta into a non-southern city?
I believe that to be the case. With the exception of Stone Mountain, what's "Southern" about Atlanta? You want to boast ethnic diversity and foods, high end nightlife, upscale, generic suburbs, and I notice that you hardly hear any southern accents in that city anymore. It's southern-ness is in its history. Most Atlantans seem to be transplants (indeed, Atlantans have been boasting about how many international transplants are now Atlantans). The people I know and have met who moved to Atlanta from NJ or anywhere else are always trying to convince me that they have this and that "just like back in NJ/wherever else they're from"..."heck, we got pizza just like NJ! We got bagels just like NY! We got cheese steaks just like Philly!!" Why not brag to me about the grits and collard greens? Because they want to create a NEW NJ, NY, CT, PA, or whatever else. That's my experience with "Atlantans" (very few of whom seem to be natives).

[quote=chiatldal;1287410413. You said buckhead suck[/quote]

True. I apologize, that was mean-spirited and uncalled for and done in reaction to someone else's comments towards me. Still, I am not impressed with Buckhead, but saying it sucks is going overboard just to be mean.

Quote:
14. You inject that Atlantans envy the Northeast and West Coast folks, and you said that you happen to know for a fact that.
Based on my experience this seems to be the case; particularly when I talk to Atlantans who are transplants, they are always trying to turn Atlanta into their former home and at the same time trying to convince me how it's "just like" their former home, "but better".

Quote:
15. Now your saying Atlanta is generic, for having suburbs, growing, and being affordable.
For sprawling and having generic suburban centers...goes with the "bigbox" description above. I can say the same about most, if not all, newer and growing cities/metros in the US, but Atlanta is one of, if not the biggest city in this category.

Quote:
16. Now your bashing Downtown Atlanta while the city is Polycentric with 3 CBDs. Midtown is probably going to out grow Downtown. You really don't know anything about Atlanta do you?
I know what I know from having worked there. I was there for the first time in 2 years back in November, so maybe it has changed much that I didn't pick up on.

But be honest - how much of the CITY, the DOWNTOWN is open well after sundown???

Quote:
You said because Atlantans boast you do this, then why was you arguing with Atlantans and non Atlantans cause they said something positive? And just the thought that you would talk about Atlantans having a inferior complex when all your comment support the idea that you believe Atlanta is inferior, no positives.
So you're saying that I'm wrong for not thinking that Atlanta is superior to, or at least equal to big cities like NY and L.A.?

Yes, I react to the way many Atlantans go overboard in defending their city on here. I say anything positive about Atlanta and it's ignored, but I say anything that can possibly be construed as negative and the Atlanta Defense Crew springs into action, twisting what I said, demanding that if I don't change my view and accept Atlanta as being on the same level as NY or L.A. then I am "ignorant" and "attacking" or "bashing"...

My problem is that I have a few times overreacted, but I'll be careful not to. Still, I'm not going to shift gears and lie about what my feelings on Atlanta are, based on my experience there (having gone there for about 6 years straight, anywhere from 3 to 8 times a year) and my experience with people who live there. But I'll back off on the "sucks" and "inferiority complex" comments, those are out of line and I apologize.

And while this is focused on the negatives, the fact remains that I do NOT hate Atlanta at all. I like it, I don't love it as one of my favorites but I like it. When I travel for work, there are places I am psyched to go to (California, Florida, Southwest, even Pacific NW), places I hate going to (mostly small, frigid towns in the upper midwest or Canada, and some parts of the south), and places that I don't hate going but I'm happy and comfortble to go to, like Atlanta, Dallas, Denver, Houston, Chicago, and some others. I've had fun in Atlanta - boated on Lake Lanier, played paintball, gone out dining and clubbing, visited friends, climbed Stone Mt., etc. but a lot of that I could have done at home, also. I visited CNN, Coca-Cola, Centennial Olympic Park (which my friend helped design and his company helped to build), and the Varsity (good burgers/dogs/fries ) and went to underground Atlanta

So, Atlanta's good, but I'd be lying if I said that felt there was a lot that I look forward to if and when I have to go there.

I'd welcome anything that I can be told of that is new that might make it more interesting for me. I've asked this in the past, but the only answer I ever get is something snarky like "well I wouldn't waste time because your attitude/personality sucks and you won't appreciate anything, blah blah blah..." So, if you want to educate me, feel free, or if you want to give me the same answer as I just described, then just save it, I've heard it before.

Old 02-12-2010, 04:29 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,676,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
Wow, casual dining... You sure can't find Quizno's anywhere else in the country!

I love Colorado and Denver's great, but it does seem rather bland/generic to me. It's like the Honda Accord of cities. A great car, and fun to drive...considering it's a family car... Other cities that feel generic to me include Seattle (besides the scenery), Chicago, Kansas City, Atlanta, Phoenix, Sacramento, San Diego, Philadelphia, Atlanta, Dallas, Minneapolis, Milwaukee, Oklahoma City... Could go on I'm sure.

Minneapolis has the USA's biggest river running through it. Also has 15 lakes. Also home to Target and Best Buy. Has 4 major sports teams, and has an excellent arts following, sophisticated and it's residents are engaged and active, how would you consider Minneapolis 'generic?'

Old 02-12-2010, 05:15 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,579,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I have to go with LA, talk about surburban sprawl.....
You are way behind the time line Los Angeles is no longer
Suburban Sprawl , but a "High Density" American City. Tell
me is Pueblo Colorado high density or suburban sprawl????

Old 02-12-2010, 06:12 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Yes. Supply and Demand states that a price is determined by those two factors. There is higher demand and therefore higher price for L.A. than for Atlanta. It is not an issue of supply because L.A. and its metro are each respectvely larger than Atlanta and its metro. L.A. is clearly more desirable than Atlanta to more people.

You said Detroit is more expensive than Atlanta. I said that if that's the case then yes, it is obviously more desirable than Atlanta to more people.

If you're selling beer at your bar, and you sell 500 Budweisers at $3 apiece and 100 Pabst Blue Ribbons at $1.50 apiece, which would you say is "more desirable to more people"??? I think it's clear. Likewise, if millions of people are paying higher prices for smaller properties in L.A. while fewer than a million people are paying lower prices for bigger properties in Atlanta, then I would say it's clear that L.A. is more desirable than Atlanta to more people.

Yeah, I believe it will. I see that you and all the others take it as an insult, but it's just my opinion. All the greatest cities fall flat on their faces. NYC did, Los Angeles did...why would Atlanta be exempt from that happening? Would you rather I said that Atlanta will never fall flat on its face because it has no chance of experiencing the kind of growth and size that NYC and L.A. have and do??? Whatever I say it can be construed as an insult by those of you who want to.

It is unhealthy. I never said it's "all" you eat. On the contrary, Atlantans were boasting that with good old southern food who needs anything else, but you have everything else anyway. Well, I disagree. You have excellent southern food. You don't have really good pizza or Italian food. That's fine. We have crappy southern food up in NJ. I wouldn't even eat it here, other than Cracker Barrel, and that's not as good as what you have in Atlanta. Likewise, I won't eat Pizza in Atlanta. I won't eat Mexican food in NJ or Atlanta,, I'll wait till I go to L.A. for that. So, yes, Atlanta doesn't have the same foreign foods that they have in CA - not good, anyway. No good Mexican, NO Armenian food at all, no good California cuisine. And California (and NJ) have NO good southern food, or Barbecue. Fine, no problem. That's how it goes.

Yet somehow it's insulting to you that I feel that way, but not insulting to myself when I say that NJ doesn't have good barbecue or Southern cuisine. Go figure.

Yes. I find it boring there in the sense there is not much of anything to do there that I can't do at home or many other parts of the nation. I also have said that it's a nice place to live with all the conveniences of a nice place to live. Living there is no more boring than anywhere else in that sense - there are malls, movie theaters, parks, restaurants, nightlife - just like any other developed place.

Atlanta IS great if you love Confederate States of America... "Stone Mountain is well-known not only for its geology, but also for the enormous bas-relief on its north face, the largest bas-relief in the world.[1] Three figures of the Confederate States of America are carved there: Stonewall Jackson, Robert E. Lee, and Jefferson Davis."

The legacy of the Confederate States is the KKK and slavery and racism. Or is it not?

Generic, big, new, inexpensive for the masses. Is that a bad thing? Depends on the person. That's what some people want.

In terms of having character, yes, that's what I believe.

True, that was mean and uncalled for. That, and some of the other things I've said that are mean and uncalled for are out of frustration of dealing with Atlanta apologists. I apologize to Atlanta and Houston folks for comparing the cities to animal poop, that's not true at all and it's not what I think of either city.

Absolutely. It is pretty ethnically diverse, but the ethnicities are very spread out and therefore very homogenized and Americanized, very assimilated. It is a very American city, not cosmopolitan. Again, that is not an insult, just what I think of Atlanta. Not every city has to be cosmopolitan like New York or Montreal.

I believe that to be the case. With the exception of Stone Mountain, what's "Southern" about Atlanta? You want to boast ethnic diversity and foods, high end nightlife, upscale, generic suburbs, and I notice that you hardly hear any southern accents in that city anymore. It's southern-ness is in its history. Most Atlantans seem to be transplants (indeed, Atlantans have been boasting about how many international transplants are now Atlantans). The people I know and have met who moved to Atlanta from NJ or anywhere else are always trying to convince me that they have this and that "just like back in NJ/wherever else they're from"..."heck, we got pizza just like NJ! We got bagels just like NY! We got cheese steaks just like Philly!!" Why not brag to me about the grits and collard greens? Because they want to create a NEW NJ, NY, CT, PA, or whatever else. That's my experience with "Atlantans" (very few of whom seem to be natives).

True. I apologize, that was mean-spirited and uncalled for and done in reaction to someone else's comments towards me. Still, I am not impressed with Buckhead, but saying it sucks is going overboard just to be mean.

Based on my experience this seems to be the case; particularly when I talk to Atlantans who are transplants, they are always trying to turn Atlanta into their former home and at the same time trying to convince me how it's "just like" their former home, "but better".

For sprawling and having generic suburban centers...goes with the "bigbox" description above. I can say the same about most, if not all, newer and growing cities/metros in the US, but Atlanta is one of, if not the biggest city in this category.

I know what I know from having worked there. I was there for the first time in 2 years back in November, so maybe it has changed much that I didn't pick up on.

But be honest - how much of the CITY, the DOWNTOWN is open well after sundown???

So you're saying that I'm wrong for not thinking that Atlanta is superior to, or at least equal to big cities like NY and L.A.?

Yes, I react to the way many Atlantans go overboard in defending their city on here. I say anything positive about Atlanta and it's ignored, but I say anything that can possibly be construed as negative and the Atlanta Defense Crew springs into action, twisting what I said, demanding that if I don't change my view and accept Atlanta as being on the same level as NY or L.A. then I am "ignorant" and "attacking" or "bashing"...

My problem is that I have a few times overreacted, but I'll be careful not to. Still, I'm not going to shift gears and lie about what my feelings on Atlanta are, based on my experience there (having gone there for about 6 years straight, anywhere from 3 to 8 times a year) and my experience with people who live there. But I'll back off on the "sucks" and "inferiority complex" comments, those are out of line and I apologize.

And while this is focused on the negatives, the fact remains that I do NOT hate Atlanta at all. I like it, I don't love it as one of my favorites but I like it. When I travel for work, there are places I am psyched to go to (California, Florida, Southwest, even Pacific NW), places I hate going to (mostly small, frigid towns in the upper midwest or Canada, and some parts of the south), and places that I don't hate going but I'm happy and comfortble to go to, like Atlanta, Dallas, Denver, Houston, Chicago, and some others. I've had fun in Atlanta - boated on Lake Lanier, played paintball, gone out dining and clubbing, visited friends, climbed Stone Mt., etc. but a lot of that I could have done at home, also. I visited CNN, Coca-Cola, Centennial Olympic Park (which my friend helped design and his company helped to build), and the Varsity (good burgers/dogs/fries ) and went to underground Atlanta

So, Atlanta's good, but I'd be lying if I said that felt there was a lot that I look forward to if and when I have to go there.

I'd welcome anything that I can be told of that is new that might make it more interesting for me. I've asked this in the past, but the only answer I ever get is something snarky like "well I wouldn't waste time because your attitude/personality sucks and you won't appreciate anything, blah blah blah..." So, if you want to educate me, feel free, or if you want to give me the same answer as I just described, then just save it, I've heard it before.
This is nothing more than a bunch of your opinions presented as factual information.

You have made it clear how you FEEL about Atlanta. What you don't actually KNOW about Atlanta cannot, and should not, be presented as fact.

In my opinion, you have no credibility on this particular subject at all.

Old 02-12-2010, 09:18 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ric75 View Post
An interesting thought... the problem with newer planned communities however is the similarities between all the houses, the cheap materials used (three shades of tan for vinyl siding), the flat/boring architectural style, lack of good landscaping, lack of front porches, and the car-centric scale of the neighborhoods among other things. The one thing that time will be able to improve is the size of the trees.
Bad landscaping? As apposed to the good landscaping of brownstones? Similarities between the houses? Don't all brownstones on the same block look the same, and are connected to each other? Cheap material I see your point. Flat Boring Architecture? VERY subjective. Who needs a front porch? And plus you CAN find front porches in the newer cities. You got me with the car-centrisism.

Old 02-12-2010, 10:17 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,101,696 times
Quote:
More people live in Metro Atlanta and it’s also growing faster than Detroit, "that's the Demand" which is high in Atlanta. The supply is less in Detroit this cause Detroit to cost more. Atlanta is very sprawl if Atlanta was denser it would be higher but there is lots of Supply or land here which cause Atlanta to be lower. So desirablity is subjective infact the only thing you can say is desirable is cheaper living in Atlanta because the growth rate.
Quote:
You consider NY and LA to have fallen on there face? They're still growing! They're not decreasing maybe it's your choice of words, Atlanta is not going to keep growing the rate that it is But “fall on it’s face†gives the impression you mean it’s going to decrease. Maybe level out, grow slower, grow gradually but Atlanta going to fall on it face? Yeah people took that as a insult.
Quote:
Your obsessed with saying it's unhealthy. “Atlantans were boasting that with good old southern food who needs anything else†I was on that thread Atlantans were not. Atlantans were saying Southern Food is a southern tradition that originated in the south while other poster were using foreign cuisine as Cali foods that originated in other places.
Quote:
That’s a subjective opinion and I said if you don’t like Atlanta your free to have a subjective opinion but people are not going to dislike it here because you don’t sorry. How every this goes along with the series negative comments you said.
Quote:
That was carved back during segregation what does the city of Stone Mountain suppose to do bomb it and blow it off? Do you Know Stone Mountain is majority black? Atlanta doesn’t live in the shadow of the Confederate States, KKK and slavery. “The legacy of the Confederate States is the KKK and slavery and racism“? That doesn't defined Atlanta in anyway, because: slavery ended after the civil war. Georgia was restored to the Union, on July 15, 1870. And it’s 2010 racism isn’t massive anywhere in the States. So your coming off as some one making old southern stereotypes.
Quote:
You often mistake non-Atlantas as "Atlanta apologists" if they said something positive half the time, so that theory is out the window. The other half of the time you're saying negative stuff first. If Atlantan's said Atlanta is a forest city you come back and say not as the northwest. If Atlantan's said Hartsfield Jackson is the busiest airport in the world you pop up and say not by cargo or international passenger. If Atlantans say Atlanta has a large skyline you will say not as New York. sarcasms but seriously
Quote:
Quote:
The error is you’re trying to defined ‘Southern†and say stone mountain is southern LAMO than because Atlanta is becoming more cosmopolitan and international that means it’s not southern? So LA is not west coast and NY is not East coast as well huh? And because a lot Atlantans are transplants Atlantans are trying be somewhere else.

Quote:
I’m going to challenge this, posters seem to do this on city data, I have already posted link about How sprawl out metropolitans and regions vernacular architecture still differ, Their a false sense that newer and growing cities/metros in the US look the same. The new sprawl cities/metros differ from one another as much as the Old denser cities/metros differ from one Another.
Quote:
2 years back in November, Midtown and Buckhead still exist, Downtown is barely the largest of the 3 but Midtown and Buckhead have been out developing Downtown. What your felling to understand is Downtown is no more important than Midtown and Buckhead are. Do you realize that Midtown is comparable to the Charlotte CBD and Buckhead is comparable to Downtown Nashville in size? And it’s funny because Downtown happens to be the CBD in Atlanta with the lowest night life. I Think because Downtown refer to many American cities core people often think that Downtown Atlanta is the core of city when Atlanta is built out polycentric.

Quote:
No Atlantan on city data ever said that Atlanta is on NY and LA level which cause you to say something negative. You're obsessed with comparing Atlanta with those cities while bashing it, there an entire country of cities. The first negative comment you said was on the Beverly Hills of the south thread and Atlanta is on Dallas, Houston and Miami level. The rest were random threads about which city is worse in whatever, in which you keep relying Atlanta over and over on several of them. You believe you have this bone to pick with Atlanta posters so ever other comment your post is negative. Whether you like Atlanta the city or not you keep posting negative comments, and it never fell.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:44 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,319,162 times
I don't like to use the rather pejorative term generic--but I do think that DFW probably has the most conventional layout for an American city. In fact, its natural setting and urban layout creates an aesthetic of familiarity for many who move there--allowing them to feel comfortable and attracting even more transplants; making it easier for newcomers to adjust to their new home. Coupled with its mild winters and favorable job market, it's easy to see how Dallas has added the most residents out of any MSA over the past decade.

Old 02-14-2010, 02:28 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times
Quote:
Atlanta, for sure. Its downtown is crime-ridden and mostly unused after the sun goes down (even though they were trying to re-energize a small section for "nightlife", it was a small section even if it worked), most of what they have is in the outlying suburbs, and the city and metro area are just typical, generic, new-construction SPRAWL that attracts people from around the nation whose priority is a nice house for a low price.

It's nice, it's comfortable, all the conveniences of life are there, but it is all so very generic. It's the bigbox or the WalMart of cities - big, huge, new, cheap, and generic. It's no wonder Walmart is so popular there.
This is what I mean right here.Its really comical that you say you have nothing against Atlanta and that you are only telling what you see and the facts.Yet you exagerate and lie each time.

For instance if a city is crime ridden usually the last thing they are is "generic".You only have to look very easy in your own neck the woods to actually know what crime ridden is in cities like Newark,Camden Jersey City.
Then you are so much of a hater you make totally false claims by saying downtown is crime ridden when all you have to do is look the crime maps and crime reports and note that the crime is mostly west of downtown and South toward the airport.Otherwise know as the SWATS.(Southwest Atlanta).In fact Downtown is actually among the safest of the parts of town due to the fact that it is NOT as heavily populated as other parts of the city.How can you rob sombody who aint there!!!So which is it crime ridden or unused?

Downtown is not the only part of the city.Like many cities it has its share of issues.In fact lets look at this crime ridden downtown:
http://www.talkofthetownatlanta.com/images/sub_rialto.jpg (broken link)

Georgia State University Dorms that hoses 2500 students.More of that later.

How about Centennial Park?
During the summer thousands of people are all around downtown and especially the park for different events nightly.Jazz wedS,Screen on the Green,Free concerts etc..The Worlds largests Aquarium next door,and Restuarant Row on Marrietta and Luckie street.
http://www.jaengineering.net/images/GA-State%20(Commons).jpg (broken link)

This looks real dangerous night:

As I was saying ,Georgia State University has grown rapidly and is and has single handedly brought new life into downtown with the creation of several new student housing and other buildings.That colossal dorm in the pic takes up one whole block and is just one block over from what used to be a run Auburn Ave that is now home to new condo, restaurants,cafes,bars etc.
I know what Im talking about because I just hung out 2 weeks ago on Edgewood Ave at CafeCirca with a group of friends that white and black American,Asian,interracial couples,Italian and Irish.We had a great time.After that another friend who I told i would meet up with later.To my surprise just happened to be on the other end of Edgewood Ave at another new Club/Bar.I went to see what it was about and here I stood on Edgewood Ave in a bar full of mostly white college students where 5 years ago stood some, projects and dope boys,winos,and prostitutes.Now a hip bar playing new wave pop music!!I had a great time.

I live downtown so I see everything.Georgia State pretty much has grown into the fabric of "Sweet Auburn".(Coined as the wealthiest street for blacks)
Sweet Auburn Historic District--Atlanta: A National Register of Historic Places Travel Itinerary
To see students of all colors walking down by Auburn/Edgewood to and from their dorms is incredible.Georgia State is one of the most diverse schools in the nation,not just the South.It may not have the reputation of NYU,but by size,culture and economic impact,GSU is our version of NYU.

As I said before,the downtown population of Atlanta is at its highest level since 1960-1970 after white flight.The Downtown was VERY vibrant.For many,many hears it has suffered and now has the fastest growing Downtown of any city other than Dallas in America.No other cities come close to the amount of growth of the two cities.

Generic?How many cities in America do you know of that has multiple communities that wealthy blacks can live among themselves.(Oh but I guess that must not be "cosmopolitan".Blacks on average make more money in Atlanta than any other city in America except D.C.That sounds like a rarity to me!

Generic?Gee can I go to my choice 5 historically black schools within the city limits in any other city in the U.S.?

Generic?What major city in the U.S. was exempt from large scale rioting due to tensions of ethnic neighborhoods fighting each other periodically over the last 50 years?

Generic?How many cities according to Forbes/Wiki-have
Quote:
Two of the nation's fourteen Mobil five-star restaurants — Seeger's and The Dining Room at the Ritz-Carlton Buckhead
?

Generic?Construction that is typical?Yes I suppose there is some of that just like everywhere else.But how many cities can claim pieces from almost every top architect from over the last 25 years?From I.M.PEI,Richard Meir.Renzo Piano,Phillip Johnson, Santiago Calatrava,Michael Graves.and John Portman.

Generic?How many cities in the U.S.is there a mall that caters to gays?

Generic?How many cities in the U.S. have the largest federal agency outside of D.C. Headquarted their city?Atlanta has the CDC.

Lets get another thing straight.House are not CHEAP ,they cost less.Jersey is FULL of cookie cutter cheap looking average new suburbs with no character ,in fact to be honest,thats America!But we also have beautiful suburbs with character.Perimeter does not count.

Fact is I have give FACT not emotion over and over and yet you still persist with this nonsense.

Last edited by afonega1; 02-14-2010 at 03:38 AM..

Old 02-14-2010, 03:15 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,966,855 times
I can't believe that people are putting so much energy into this dialogue. I find Altanta to be generic. So what!!! I chose to live in Chicago. So what!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.