Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2010, 03:25 AM

253 posts, read 967,629 times

Advertisements

Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Phoenix and Jacksonville come to mind....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Which do you think is/are the most generic, undistinctive, 'anytown USA' cities in America?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2010, 03:39 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,099,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I can't believe that people are putting so much energy into this dialogue. I find Altanta to be generic. So what!!! I chose to live in Chicago. So what!!!
It ‘s not that! it’s the poster he keep posting negative stuff about Atlanta over and over and over and over I counted 16 negatives posts out 0 positives. It's a series of negatives comments on multiple threads go back and read everything I posted you get it.

Old 02-14-2010, 03:50 AM

2,441 posts, read 7,007,270 times
In addition to Phoenix, I find Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Indianapolis, Columbus, Charlotte, Denver, San Diego, Oklahoma City, and Hartford all to be yawn-inducing generic cities.

Old 02-14-2010, 03:50 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,099,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_206 View Post
Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Phoenix and Jacksonville come to mind....
I going to repost this here Dallas, Atlanta and Phoenix has as much or as little in common as Boston, chicago, and Seattle. I originally posted this on the are American cities ugly thread but it works here as well.

American cities have different vernacular architecture. Dallas, Atlanta, and Phoenix suburban architecture are not the same. I just want to bring into play how Metros and regions differ.

Dallas-FT Worth Metroplex
Arlington TX - Google Maps

Metro Atlanta
ellenwood ga - Google Maps

Phoenix Metropolitan
Phoenix - Google Maps

And those are all sunbelt cities and they differ, so even being sprawl out cities don't clump them into a box by saying oh strip malls and single family homes.

Don't really think posters really think about Oklahoma City looks as much a like Dallas, As Philly look like New york or as much as Miami looks like Tampa or even honolulu, better Portland and Seattle, Charolette and Atlanta, Phoenix and Las Vegas.

Last edited by chiatldal; 02-14-2010 at 04:02 AM..

Old 02-14-2010, 04:10 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I can't believe that people are putting so much energy into this dialogue. I find Altanta to be generic. So what!!! I chose to live in Chicago. So what!!!
That was not my point.We all have our opinions.Thats fine.even if we do not agree.When it becomes slanderous,lies and they are focused on the same city ALL the time by the same people,,then i have a problem with that. Something are universally excepted as truth.For instance if I said Camden N.J. is the most run down place in America.Someone else might say No its Newark,but I guarantee that whoever disagreed with what I or the other person's answer was still would just accept it as that persons honest answer due to the fact that both of those cities are commonly referred in media and stats as having serious issues.

Old 02-14-2010, 05:42 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,784,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
That was not my point.We all have our opinions.Thats fine.even if we do not agree.When it becomes slanderous,lies and they are focused on the same city ALL the time by the same people,,then i have a problem with that. Something are universally excepted as truth.For instance if I said Camden N.J. is the most run down place in America.Someone else might say No its Newark,but I guarantee that whoever disagreed with what I or the other person's answer was still would just accept it as that persons honest answer due to the fact that both of those cities are commonly referred in media and stats as having serious issues.
Camden and Newark are crime-ridden, but they are small cities. Atlanta is 10th worst for crime of all major cities; it is in the company of Detroit, DC, Nashville, Oakland and other notoriously bad crime cities. That's why people stay mostly in the sprawl of Atlanta's suburbs and don't go into the city much.

Old 02-14-2010, 05:53 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,801,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Camden and Newark are crime-ridden, but they are small cities. Atlanta is 10th worst for crime of all major cities; it is in the company of Detroit, DC, Nashville, Oakland and other notoriously bad crime cities. That's why people stay mostly in the sprawl of Atlanta's suburbs and don't go into the city much.
That isn't true...but we all know that your knowledge of Atlanta is very limited. You display that with every post on the subject.

Old 02-14-2010, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
More people live in Metro Atlanta and it’s also growing faster than Detroit, "that's the Demand" which is high in Atlanta. The supply is less in Detroit this cause Detroit to cost more. Atlanta is very sprawl if Atlanta was denser it would be higher but there is lots of Supply or land here which cause Atlanta to be lower. So desirablity is subjective infact the only thing you can say is desirable is cheaper living in Atlanta because the growth rate.
I agree, "Atlanta is very sprawl". Atlanta is also very crime. #10 in the nation. That's why demand is similar to Detroit's.

Quote:
You consider NY and LA to have fallen on there face? They're still growing! They're not decreasing maybe it's your choice of words, Atlanta is not going to keep growing the rate that it is But “fall on it’s face” gives the impression you mean it’s going to decrease. Maybe level out, grow slower, grow gradually but Atlanta going to fall on it face? Yeah people took that as a insult.
I know what NY was like in the 70's and 80's - a crime, drug, and rat-infested sewer. One time, late 80's while I was in high school, I had to go to Radiio City music hall for a concert, I took a bus to Port Authority and had to walk only about 5 or 6 blocks. Along the way I was almost mugged, but luckily I was a strong young kid and fought off the mugger and then ran. Back then you avoided the city at all costs. Many businesses relocated to the burbs. NY was THE worst crime city. NY was a toilet. If that's not falling flat on their face I don't know what is. But that's what makes the city so much more impressive today.

But don't worry, Atlanta will never, ever experience anything NY has been through.

Quote:
Your obsessed with saying it's unhealthy. “Atlantans were boasting that with good old southern food who needs anything else” I was on that thread Atlantans were not. Atlantans were saying Southern Food is a southern tradition that originated in the south while other poster were using foreign cuisine as Cali foods that originated in other places.
Actually, you and your friends are obsessed with defending it. It is a generic city, not cosmopolitan in the least, and for some reason you and the others are unable to admit that. You defend and defend, but when someone responds then that person is "obsessed".

Quote:
That’s a subjective opinion and I said if you don’t like Atlanta your free to have a subjective opinion but people are not going to dislike it here because you don’t sorry. How every this goes along with the series negative comments you said.
Yes, Atlanta people don't like my negative comments; they don't like any negative comments about Atlanta, even if they're true. They call it "slanderous" and "lies".

Quote:
That was carved back during segregation what does the city of Stone Mountain suppose to do bomb it and blow it off? Do you Know Stone Mountain is majority black? Atlanta doesn’t live in the shadow of the Confederate States, KKK and slavery. “The legacy of the Confederate States is the KKK and slavery and racism“? That doesn't defined Atlanta in anyway, because: slavery ended after the civil war. Georgia was restored to the Union, on July 15, 1870. And it’s 2010 racism isn’t massive anywhere in the States. So your coming off as some one making old southern stereotypes.
No, they shouldn't blow the place up, but the Park doesn't need to have streets like "Robert E. Lee Drive" - you can change street names and the other memorial touches to the anti-American Confederate scum that they glorify there.

Quote:
You often mistake non-Atlantas as "Atlanta apologists" if they said something positive half the time, so that theory is out the window. The other half of the time you're saying negative stuff first. If Atlantan's said Atlanta is a forest city you come back and say not as the northwest. If Atlantan's said Hartsfield Jackson is the busiest airport in the world you pop up and say not by cargo or international passenger. If Atlantans say Atlanta has a large skyline you will say not as New York. sarcasms but seriously
You have it backwards. An Atlanta apologist defends Atlanta, whether he's from Atlanta or not. And regarding the airport, I mentioned that it didn't surprise me that Newark's airport handled more International than Atlanta because NJ and NYC are more cosmopolitan. This set the Atlanta apologists off.

[quote=chiatldal;12879760]The error is you’re trying to defined ‘Southern” and say stone mountain is southern LAMO than because Atlanta is becoming more cosmopolitan and international that means it’s not southern? So LA is not west coast and NY is not East coast as well huh? And because a lot Atlantans are transplants Atlantans are trying be somewhere else.

"Southern" refers to a culture throughout the south. "East Coast" does not. NY and Boston and Miami are all "East Coast" but as different as can be. On the other hand, Atlanta and Charlotte and Birmingham are all "southern" and share a lot of common culture, especially the food is the same throughout.

Quote:
I’m going to challenge this, posters seem to do this on city data, I have already posted link about How sprawl out metropolitans and regions vernacular architecture still differ, Their a false sense that newer and growing cities/metros in the US look the same. The new sprawl cities/metros differ from one another as much as the Old denser cities/metros differ from one Another.

2 years back in November, Midtown and Buckhead still exist, Downtown is barely the largest of the 3 but Midtown and Buckhead have been out developing Downtown. What your felling to understand is Downtown is no more important than Midtown and Buckhead are. Do you realize that Midtown is comparable to the Charlotte CBD and Buckhead is comparable to Downtown Nashville in size? And it’s funny because Downtown happens to be the CBD in Atlanta with the lowest night life. I Think because Downtown refer to many American cities core people often think that Downtown Atlanta is the core of city when Atlanta is built out polycentric.
If Buckhead is the big city center (or one of the two), then that tells me a lot. It's a nice area and all but nothing I haven't seen in every other city, pretty much.

Quote:
No Atlantan on city data ever said that Atlanta is on NY and LA level which cause you to say something negative. You're obsessed with comparing Atlanta with those cities while bashing it, there an entire country of cities. The first negative comment you said was on the Beverly Hills of the south thread and Atlanta is on Dallas, Houston and Miami level. The rest were random threads about which city is worse in whatever, in which you keep relying Atlanta over and over on several of them. You believe you have this bone to pick with Atlanta posters so ever other comment your post is negative. Whether you like Atlanta the city or not you keep posting negative comments, and it never fell.
They don't say it outright, but when you say L.A. is better in one way or another, they pounce, they complain of "bashing", they tell you your opinion is wrong. All the time. Look at this thread, I have 3 or 4 of you pouncing and ganging up on me like a wolfpack.

Bottom line - I find Atlanta to be very, very generic. If you don't like it that's fine, but the blind apologetics is really out of hand and does indicate a complex on the behalf of many Atlantans.

Old 02-14-2010, 06:22 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,801,231 times
Wow...what a length post to say absolutely nothing. You win!

Old 02-14-2010, 07:12 AM

Quote:
This is what I mean right here.Its really comical that you say you have nothing against Atlanta and that you are only telling what you see and the facts.Yet you exagerate and lie each time.
Where did I exaggerate and lie? All you do is make personal attacks on me, like calling me a liar who exaggerates.

Quote:
For instance if a city is crime ridden usually the last thing they are is "generic".You only have to look very easy in your own neck the woods to actually know what crime ridden is in cities like Newark,Camden Jersey City.
Very generic cities, those three, to be honest. Even the most generic cities have their old architecture, etc. but there's not much but crime in those cities. Anyway, I'm talking about the metro areas also, and Atlanta's is typical, generic sprawl.

Quote:
Then you are so much of a hater you make totally false claims by saying downtown is crime ridden when all you have to do is look the crime maps and crime reports and note that the crime is mostly west of downtown and South toward the airport.Otherwise know as the SWATS.(Southwest Atlanta).In fact Downtown is actually among the safest of the parts of town due to the fact that it is NOT as heavily populated as other parts of the city.How can you rob sombody who aint there!!!So which is it crime ridden or unused?
By "Downtown" I mean in the city. Most of the city, in city limits, is crime-ridden. 10th worst major city in crime, up there with Detroit, Oakland, DC. But I guess the statistics are just being "a hater".

As I was saying ,Georgia State University has grown rapidly and is and has single handedly brought new life into downtown with the creation of several new student housing and other buildings.That colossal dorm in the pic takes up one whole block and is just one block over from what used to be a run Auburn Ave that is now home to new condo, restaurants,cafes,bars etc.
I know what Im talking about because I just hung out 2 weeks ago on Edgewood Ave at CafeCirca with a group of friends that white and black American,Asian,interracial couples,Italian and Irish.We had a great time.After that another friend who I told i would meet up with later.To my surprise just happened to be on the other end of Edgewood Ave at another new Club/Bar.I went to see what it was about and here I stood on Edgewood Ave in a bar full of mostly white college students where 5 years ago stood some, projects and dope boys,winos,and prostitutes.Now a hip bar playing new wave pop music!!I had a great time.[/quote]

What! A new wave pop music hip bar!!?!?! AMAZING!!!!!!!! There must be no crime anymore!!! Statistics are HATERS!!! Italians? Irish? Asians? Wow, a cultural smorgasbord!!!! Real live Eye-talians and all!!!

Quote:
I live downtown so I see everything.Georgia State pretty much has grown into the fabric of "Sweet Auburn".(Coined as the wealthiest street for blacks)
Sweet Auburn Historic District--Atlanta: A National Register of Historic Places Travel Itinerary
To see students of all colors walking down by Auburn/Edgewood to and from their dorms is incredible.Georgia State is one of the most diverse schools in the nation,not just the South.It may not have the reputation of NYU,but by size,culture and economic impact,GSU is our version of NYU.
Now, how exactly is Georgia State anything special as universities go??? The diversity is not uncommon on any good school's campus. I don't understand how being on "the wealthiest street for blacks" is a boost to the quality of education at GSU... It is not on the level of other major cities' schools, like U Chicago, NYU, UCLA, etc.

It's good that you like having GSU there and all, but I don't see how this would dissuade me or anyone from thinking Atlanta is generic. Every generic city in America has some kind of state school in their city.

Quote:
As I said before,the downtown population of Atlanta is at its highest level since 1960-1970 after white flight.The Downtown was VERY vibrant.For many,many hears it has suffered and now has the fastest growing Downtown of any city other than Dallas in America.No other cities come close to the amount of growth of the two cities.

Generic?How many cities in America do you know of that has multiple communities that wealthy blacks can live among themselves.(Oh but I guess that must not be "cosmopolitan".Blacks on average make more money in Atlanta than any other city in America except D.C.That sounds like a rarity to me!
Is it a good thing for "wealthy blacks" to "live among themselves"??? Are you actually boasting about that??? Where I live wealthy people - of every race/ethnicity/etc. - live in wealthy towns. If you ever caught "Run's House", that show about the guy from Run DMC, the town they live in is a wealthy town a few towns from me. They are "wealthy blacks" but their town is made up of wealthy people of all kinds (including other "wealthy blacks" like Ja Rule and several pro athletes from the NY area sports teams).

When wealthy people live in a wealthy community it is a very different thing from an ethnic neighborhood like a Little Odessa or Thai Town. Wealthy is just wealthy - no ethnic affiliation (though long associated with "WASP"s); however, in ethnic communities, the idea is that they are accessible to all people of the ethnicity, including and especially the more recent immigrants, who tend not to be wealthy.

So one of your Atlanta wealthy towns is segregated and/or more exclusive (based on race) than other wealthy towns, and this is boastworthy??? I must be missing something there.

Quote:
Generic?Gee can I go to my choice 5 historically black schools within the city limits in any other city in the U.S.?

Generic?What major city in the U.S. was exempt from large scale rioting due to tensions of ethnic neighborhoods fighting each other periodically over the last 50 years?

Generic?How many cities according to Forbes/Wiki-have ?

Generic?Construction that is typical?Yes I suppose there is some of that just like everywhere else.But how many cities can claim pieces from almost every top architect from over the last 25 years?From I.M.PEI,Richard Meir.Renzo Piano,Phillip Johnson, Santiago Calatrava,Michael Graves.and John Portman.

Generic?How many cities in the U.S.is there a mall that caters to gays?

Generic?How many cities in the U.S. have the largest federal agency outside of D.C. Headquarted their city?Atlanta has the CDC.
Generic. Every city has its quirks that are unique, but a city that is half a million people with a metro area of 5 million in SPRAWL is typical and generic for many cities in the US. The sprawling suburbs are mostly white while the city is mostly black. Sprinkled amongst the mostly white burbs are blacks and other ethnicities, none of which (except blacks) have an ethnic community center and are largely homogenized and Americanized.

Quote:
Lets get another thing straight.House are not CHEAP ,they cost less.Jersey is FULL of cookie cutter cheap looking average new suburbs with no character ,in fact to be honest,thats America!But we also have beautiful suburbs with character.Perimeter does not count.
Atlanta's suburban sprawl is loaded with cheap houses in cookie cutter developments. Yes, NJ has this too, but it is the minority of NJ towns. Most of NJ is much older and the homes in the towns reflect this quite clearly. Atlanta is a much newer area, especially most of that suburban sprawl. Lots of new homes, lots of mcmansions. Quality is on the cheap side, but overall the housing is cheap. It costs little to make and to purchase. The land has little value compared to suburbs of more major cities.

So what? How is that an insult? That's part of the appeal. That's why people are leaving NJ and going to Atlanta suburbs. It's a good thing that your city has suburbs with every convenience and with housing that would be unaffordable elsewhere. I remember my friend's first home, in Cumming, GA. It was a new development, he had a decent size property, and a beautiful 4 BR 2.5 BA home, brick, with an office, Family room, LR, DR, EIK, and a nice deck, and 2-car garage. He paid less than $150k for it (in the late 90's). He didn't make a lot when he sold it but he earned equity and it went up a little when he sold it. Yes, it was kind of cheap construction - my friend knew it. So what? He had his spac and it was good enough for his family. It looked good, and he made whatever repairs he had to.

Quote:
Fact is I have give FACT not emotion over and over and yet you still persist with this nonsense.
Nonsense. You're very emotional and you give your opinion as fact. Like your opinion that NJ has more new developments and cheap housing. It's clear you've never been to NJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.