Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2019, 06:53 PM

1,045 posts, read 758,228 times

Advertisements

Reviving an older thread. I'm in the Triad area of North Carolina where I've always hated living. I despise the religiosity, the racism, the weather, the humidity, the growing crime, the onslaught of 'others' moving here thinking it's so much cheaper or better in some way. They can have it. I have always wanted to live in California and that's where I am headed, even though I can only afford to live in the desert at this time. And if I wind up loathing it? There's always NorCal, Nevada, or Washington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2019, 10:44 PM

330 posts, read 293,449 times
LA native here. Have been living in Santa Monica all my life so far. I absolutely love living in LA. LA is my home town. The weather, fresh produce and natural beauty here can’t be beaten. No matter where I go, LA will always be my home in my heart.

But right now I’m at a transition point in my career after working several years for a company here in LA and also considering that I haven’t lived in anywhere else other than LA during the past 25 years of my life, I will probably relocate to NYC if a good opportunity comes up. I have been to nearly all major cities on the west and east coast, but no matter where I go, my gut always tells me NYC is the best. After all, I only get to live once, if I don’t experience NYC now, I might end up regretting later. Despite having been to NYC many times as a tourist, I have always dreamed of living and working in NYC and want to explore and learn more about NYC and the east coast.

Last edited by SnobbishDude; 09-01-2019 at 11:22 PM..

Old 09-02-2019, 07:16 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Just remember - no matter where you move, you take yourself and most of your problems with you.

For the record, I love living where I live (NE Texas). But I've also loved just about every place I've lived, for varying reasons. I'm generally a happy person and I can always find the positive in something, even places that I'm not particularly drawn to.

Just about anywhere in the world, I can sit down with a good cup of coffee or a glass of iced tea or a glass of wine, with some dogs at my feet and ahhhhhh, life is pretty darn good.

Old 09-02-2019, 02:12 PM

2,385 posts, read 2,339,007 times
Yeah it's only been a few months but I'm not impressed with Ft Wayne. If not for my job I wouldn't have moved here. Lease ends next May so I'm likely moving out of the city but staying in Indiana might be an option. Just would like an area with plenty of jobs with okay wages/salary(something in the light manufacturing/paralegal/GIS/writing field since I have a BA in Communication; physical warehouse work ain't enough), buses running 7 days a week and past 9PM, and a lack of crazy t-storms in the spring/summer.

Old 09-02-2019, 02:36 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times
I live in Midland,Texas.I want to move to the Greater Austin area.I plan on moving there in 3 to 5 years time if i am lucky.I used to like Midland but not anymore for various reasons.I am ready for a change since Ive lived here for decades.

Old 09-02-2019, 03:38 PM

2,529 posts, read 1,860,003 times
Too hot in FL most of the year, the lack of 4 definite seasons.

Old 09-02-2019, 06:18 PM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
Yeah it's only been a few months but I'm not impressed with Ft Wayne. If not for my job I wouldn't have moved here. Lease ends next May so I'm likely moving out of the city but staying in Indiana might be an option. Just would like an area with plenty of jobs with okay wages/salary(something in the light manufacturing/paralegal/GIS/writing field since I have a BA in Communication; physical warehouse work ain't enough), buses running 7 days a week and past 9PM, and a lack of crazy t-storms in the spring/summer.
I kind of like thunderstorms.

Old 09-02-2019, 08:18 PM

451 posts, read 364,593 times
Currently in North Central Illinois. This place is a waste land of monocultural agribusiness. The topography is lame and so are the water ways. No contiguous forest land to speak of. The winters are relentless and can run from mid October until May. There is some decent bird and deer hunting, but you can't use rifles for the latter.

Then you get to the state itself. A woefully mismanaged mess of finances that is disequitably funded by high sales taxes and relatively low income taxes. Have no fear, at the current pace of increasing debt, Illinois will have no choice but to increase its income tax to among the highest in the country. This doesn't even account for Chicago's seperate and equally staggering municipal debt.

Our shiny new tax evading governor just passed a $40+ Billion spending bill for infrastructure improvements throughout the state over the next few decades. The work is surely needed, but the bill will be funded by cigarette smokers (NOTE: Not tobacco users. Cigarette smokers specifically), gamblers, and a new $0.20 increase the gas tax. Notice how the working class will bear the brunt of this infrastructure spending? There will undoubtedly be a funding shortfall as people continue to smoke fewer and fewer cigarettes and drive more fuel efficient vehicles. Not to mention the portions of the state that live near the borders will skip across for cigs and gas. If you're a dedicated smoker in, say, Quincy you'll never buy smokes or gas in Illinois again.

Where would I go if I could? Northern Spain. Anywhere between the Basque Country and Galicia

Old 09-03-2019, 08:56 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Northeast TN. It's fair. The weather is good most of the time - not too hot, not too cold, and outdoor activities regionally are great.

Still, it's isolated from other areas, lacks a lot of modern amenities, and is backward in a lot of ways.

Old 09-03-2019, 11:09 AM

32,944 posts, read 3,925,477 times
I LOVE my state, Minnesota; however, I don't like where I live in it. We are too far north (10 miles from Canada) and the town is just too isolated. We will be moving about 225 miles south of here to central Minnesota very soon. That is where family and most importantly grandsons are. (They weren't born yet when we moved up here.)

We have lived in several regions of Minnesota and I prefer the eastern to central part of the state. I also like winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.