Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 01:38 PM

1,488 posts, read 2,612,160 times

Advertisements

I hate my "city". no corporate opportunities, no culture, no quality entertainment, no four seasons, just plain boring and the military runs this town! Too many people here are satisfied having a job at the mall and getting married and having children right after high school. Where are the ambitious people i long to be around? After I get my AA from UOP next year, I'm transfering to grad school in NYC! A second option would be DC after grad school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 03:20 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,694,356 times
Unpleasant weather half the year, very expensive to live in the nice parts, and I get the feeling you can't get a high paying job to afford living in those nice parts without having a PhD or MD or JD.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:14 PM

535 posts, read 1,411,484 times
I hate where I live for the following reasons:

- Low paying jobs, even with a MBA or professional degree.
- Highly ridiculous cost of living! high taxes, high real estate, expensive
food, entertainment, utlities, etc... No affordability for anyone!
- Sick of year round summer, high humidity/heat, endless tropical
thunderstorms, and mosquitos everywhere.
- Lack of diversity, the city is plain Cuban and low class hispanics.
- No opportunities! weak economy, no jobs, no corporations,
bankruptcy everywhere! no stability...
- The people are rude, superficial, low class, lazy, no manners, no
politeness, no gentlemen, the lowest of the low world class people!
- Traffic is horrendous, the drivers make it worse. The streets and
highways are too narrow and inefficient. The roads and highways in
smaller cities are better.
- The majors are more corrupt than the ones in Chicago and New Orleans
together! Medicare fraud everywhere! real estate fraud! drug money
and fraud, fraud, fraud in every spot!
- Schools and universities suck!
- City is surrounded by ugly dead end hispanic and black ghettos!! and
these undesirable places are expensive to live just for being close to the
sucker Miami! (I.E. Overtown, Opa Locka, Liberty City, Little Haiti, Little
Havana, some Hialeah parts, North Miami, Cutler Ridge, some parts of
Coconut Grove, outside the Gables, Homestead, etc, etc...)
- There's nothing to do, besides clubbing, drinking or the beach... not my
lifestyle...
- Not a city to make friends, you'll only have friend if you have tons of
greens

After I graduate I would love to move to Atlanta, GA, Denver, CO, Bluffton, SC, Raleigh, Charlotte, NC or Dallas, TX

Old 04-06-2010, 07:41 PM

1,124 posts, read 3,594,065 times
As much as I like St. Louis, i'd eventually like to "experiment" with other cities when i'm older. Preferrably, cities that are the same size or bigger than St. Louis.
Current location: St. Louis, MO
Future possibilities: NYC, North Jersey, LA area, Chicago, Washington DC, Boston, Bay Area.

Old 04-07-2010, 01:11 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,010,710 times
Think I may have it figured out. I love Lake Saint Louis, MO but really hate Saint Louis and The Greater Saint Louis Metro Area.

I'm in a situation now where it looks like I will eventually be able to spend 2-3 weeks in Southern California, and 1-2 weeks in Lake Saint Louis, and leave whenever living in Missouri starts to bother me.

I'm Looking to buy a good size cabin boat and then find a Marina that allows live-aboards

Old 04-07-2010, 07:59 PM

411 posts, read 1,165,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
Yes, I'm not happy with where I currently live, but it's not a city; it's a town of about 13,000. I live in northern New Jersey.

I live here because I grew up here and in the area, went to public school here, have family/friends in the area, and work within a reasonable commuting distance.

What brought me here? I moved with my family when I was 6-7 months old. a long long time ago, from Illinois.

I hate this area because of the extreme overpopulation, corruption, pollution, crime, horrible weather, rude people, and I just don't like the NYC area in general. It's the last area of the country I would move to if I could make the independent choice.

I'd like to live in the South, specifically in Louisiana, and have been researching and looking into the Lafayette and Bossier City areas.

What am I doing? Saving money and tying up loose ends. I'd like to move within a year or so; the longest would be 18 months.
Hmm, interesting. From most of what I've heard, many people would much rather live in the NYC area than Louisiana. But, whatever floats your boat. People like different things and that's what makes the world go 'round.

Anyway, I live in a small, suburban city in the South and hate it! The pop. is about 65,000, but that is definitely bigger than all the nearby towns. The reason I live here is because I grew up here. My whole life. Ugghh. But, I am about to move to a nearby larger city for school. After school I would love to move to a place like NYC. I live cities like that. But, I would be perfectly happy in a more suburban large city like LA or Houston (which I both love) since I do want my own house someday. I just think it would be awesome to live in a place like Manhattan while I'm young and before I settle down with a family. I am going to do everything in my power not to end up living in the town I live in now, that's FO SHO!

Old 04-08-2010, 10:40 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,010,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City_boi View Post
Hmm, interesting. From most of what I've heard, many people would much rather live in the NYC area than Louisiana. But, whatever floats your boat. People like different things and that's what makes the world go 'round.

Anyway, I live in a small, suburban city in the South and hate it! The pop. is about 65,000, but that is definitely bigger than all the nearby towns. The reason I live here is because I grew up here. My whole life. Ugghh. But, I am about to move to a nearby larger city for school. After school I would love to move to a place like NYC. I live cities like that. But, I would be perfectly happy in a more suburban large city like LA or Houston (which I both love) since I do want my own house someday. I just think it would be awesome to live in a place like Manhattan while I'm young and before I settle down with a family. I am going to do everything in my power not to end up living in the town I live in now, that's FO SHO!
When you are in your twenties - early thirties you should not confine your self to one area. This is the period of your life when you have the ability, and should explore the many regions of the country.

The Australians have walkabouts and the amish have rumspringa. Great ideas.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:42 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,942,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City_boi View Post

You represent many people around the world with the NYC dream Good luck to you. It sounds like you will do well here.

Old 04-08-2010, 12:59 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
I like every place I have ever lived in my life in NYC, Long Island, Washington, DC, Maryland and now Tennessee because all of those places were right for me at the time I lived in them. You know, when you are a child, when you are just starting your career, when you are married, when you are divorced, when you are retired, different things are more important to you. You change/evolve and the places that complement those stages of your life, will change, too.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:46 PM

521 posts, read 1,314,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayZ750 View Post
Things I don't like about where I live:

- The weather: Blah during the winter, unbelievably hot and humid in the summer. There are a couple of nice week stretches in the fall and spring, though.

- The landscape: Flat, flat, and flat. Some green, but most of that has been destroyed by highways, buildings and concrete (and billboards)

- The size: 5+ million people in the greater area, too much for me

- The traffic: It could be worse, but is often horrible

- The demographics: I don't mind the diversity, but it is still Republican and Christian dominated city, neither of which describe me

Things I do like:

- The cost of living: Cheap, cheap, cheap

- The economy: We have some bumps in the road, but generally pretty strong

Where I'd like to move:

Seattle, Portland, Denver, Vancouver, San Francisco - I'd prefer 4 seasons, better (much) summer weather and a LOT more access to outdoor activities.

Plus, I'm a "pescetarian" (eat fish, but no meats), which is tough here, but would be better in the other locales, for the most part.
You seem to describe the DFW area! If that is the case, I can see the points you're making. I'd also suggest considering Philadelphia area for 4 seasons, food choices, nicer summers, and lots of outdoors activities...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.