Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 08:14 PM

23,221 posts, read 29,044,905 times

Advertisements

I think it's only natural to go through hate and love stages anywhere.

I've gone through periods of hate here, where one time I even had a good portion of my belongings boxed up in the garage, to love, back to hate, and back again to love.

Right now, I've been on the longest love stage yet. A recent trip to spots I've always considered moving to (OKC/Tulsa/Houston/Dallas/Colorado Springs) and a trip to the Midwest in Sept. has helped to shore up my current love feelings.

Travel can tilt your feelings anywhere you go, upon your return.

6 months from now? Who knows!

What's really frightening, is to have crossed out all other alternatives, and still don't like where you're living. What then? Off to a foreign country?

Last edited by tijlover; 02-03-2010 at 08:15 PM.. Reason: wording change
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 08:23 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
The ironic thing is of course that more people than not would take Florida over New Jersey/New York in a heartbeat. Moving trends have shown this for many years now. No one wants to retire in the Northeast.

You would be surprised how many people retire to PA. Not too far from their kids in the northeast, and also not nearly as expensive as a lot of other places.

There was a thread that my mom (TANaples) started here in General US about 6 months ago. She asked if people are jealous of those living in Florida, something along those lines. I'd say about 80% of those said no. She can probably get you the link.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:46 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,638,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
You would be surprised how many people retire to PA. Not too far from their kids in the northeast, and also not nearly as expensive as a lot of other places.

There was a thread that my mom (TANaples) started here in General US about 6 months ago. She asked if people are jealous of those living in Florida, something along those lines. I'd say about 80% of those said no. She can probably get you the link.
I know a few folks from New Jersey who have retired to Pennsylvania and Delaware. Many more have moved on to better weather states with a cheaper cost of living, such as Florida, North Carolina, and even Arizona. Of course, coming from NJ, even PA and DE are "cheaper states".

I don't doubt the poll results, but there is an amazing bias on this forum against Florida/the general South/the Southwest (especially Arizona) and in favor of the Northeast and California. The opinions on citydata don't accurately reflect the opinions of the majority of Americans.

The reality is that cities all over the South, in Texas, in Tennessee, in North Carolina, etc. are growing. The Northeast and the Midwest are dying and I for one am not shedding one tear.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:32 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,922,535 times
I like where I live but I'm too restless to stay here for much longer. I could be happy moving to Portland (again), San Francisco, Miami, New York, or Washington DC. And those are only the U.S. cities I want to see - there's a lot of foreign cities I want to see as well

Old 02-03-2010, 09:41 PM

3,464 posts, read 1,897,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
and the main reason I want to move is becaues of the weather. I dispise YEAR ROUND SUMMER. My area has NOTHING to do except things associated with warm weather. Phony weather with tourists, retirees, and snowbirds. The schools are horrible. I work in the schools.

I want to go back to New York, but if not there, New Jersey, Pa., Ct., Vt., Me, or anywhere in New England would be fine.

The last thing I want to be as a Senior is to die in this miserable state of Florida.

You've probably said on here before, but what's keeping you here???

I currently live in Sarasota, want out...

I will eventually move to NE Georgia.....

But would really like to be in the Upper NW area (Oregon/Wash.)...

Old 02-03-2010, 09:53 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
The ironic thing is of course that more people than not would take Florida over New Jersey/New York in a heartbeat. Moving trends have shown this for many years now. No one wants to retire in the Northeast.
Much of NH= tons of retirees. The Lakes Region has low property taxes and a wide ranging of housing prices. NH was ranked as #1 in quality of life (can't remember the source off the top of my head) so I wager the higher cost of living is worth it. The South ranks pretty low in quality of life measures. I believe GA ranked #47 on the list.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:47 PM

1,539 posts, read 3,191,282 times
Interesting thread.

Moved to SoCal from Anchorage, AK 3 years ago this month. Despised it up until about 4 months ago. I think part of this is due to the fact that up until Sept. we were living in Orange County which was not a good fit (also very unaffordable for us). Hubby got transferred and we are now living in the Inland Empire.....it's a better fit for us and I would be lying if I said I didn't like it. Something about it feels slightly slower paced than OC ---which I am desperately craving (slow pace)--- and I dig the more middle class vibe out here along with the gorgeous mountain views. I have had my heart set on moving to Dallas for the last few years but the thought of being that far from any family whatsoever bothers me. I have a year left in school and then we'll see where the road takes us....who knows...we may just stay here--if we can afford it.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:06 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,638,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Much of NH= tons of retirees. The Lakes Region has low property taxes and a wide ranging of housing prices. NH was ranked as #1 in quality of life (can't remember the source off the top of my head) so I wager the higher cost of living is worth it. The South ranks pretty low in quality of life measures. I believe GA ranked #47 on the list.
New Hampshire is a bit of an exception though, GraniteStater. It's just about the only state in the Northeast that isn't a total nanny state. It was, after all, the last state in the union to give into the whole "seatbelt law" craze.

Northern New England is historically much more conservative/libertarian in general than the Mid-Atlantic states. In a modern context, New Hampshire pretty much carries the flame as Vermont has been invaded and conquered by NYers, folks from Taxachusetts, and aging hippies. Maine isn't quite as extreme and still has conservative/libertarian pockets, but NH is definately better in this regard.

You can go by the quality of life, but let me just say, GraniteStater, that I would rather live in Georgia over a state like Massachusetts (which probably is significantly higher on the list) any day of the week, anytime.

Last edited by ReluctantGardenStater; 02-04-2010 at 07:17 AM..

Old 02-04-2010, 10:15 AM

6,342 posts, read 11,089,409 times
Yes, I am in the same boat as yourself. Currently I live in Kansas City and I hate it here. I used to like it but after spending sufficient time here for several years I've found the people are incredibly ignorant, arrogant, shallow and very paranoid. They see things that don't exist. They are rather conformist and don't really like people like myself that hail from an Old Money background in New England. They are control freaks too. I tried making friends back in the 1990's but that did not work too well. They've made it clear they don't like me or accept who and what I am so, to hell with them.

I've lived here a total of three times over the years and in each case I came here for a different reason. This time around I've been here four years and I came here when I had a friend and business partner (now defunct) that lived in Oklahoma. I came here knowing that I could find work and could sit tight here until he got out of OK. Never happened the way we planned and the business relationship ended.

I have not been able to move because of the current state of the economy. I am working on getting out of here and to a region where I am more welcome in order to start up a small business. But that is likely to take a good year or perhaps longer and depends upon a variety of factors associated with getting the business going and finding employment in the new community while I grow the business and of course, the state of the economy in KC which is really bad.

I'd like to live closer to my family and friends that live in New England and along the eastern seaboard down to FLA. I suppose that reason alone is a valid reason to leave Kansas City. But, I've also discovered I probably won't be able to achieve my professional goals in this area nor my personal goals as well. This is a terrible place to find a woman to see especially if you or they are over the age of 30 to 35. In fact, that is another reason I hate KC. The women and most specifically the women in the age bracket I just specified. Over the years I've been sexually harassed by some of them and been hit on by married women here. They are rude, crude and obnoxious and lack the social graces that most of the women that I am accustomed to dating possess. I've dated women from lower middle class backgrounds in the Northeast that have better manners than the heathens in the KC region. The next time I am ready to date I am going to look at the ladies under the age of 35. Some of them have some manners and act more maturely than their older sisters.

I am also not too crazy about the heat and humidity in the summer time. I prefer a cool or cold climate and this region most definitely does not have it. I can stand a hot and dry climate but not the sub tropical conditions that exist for about five months a year here.

I've driven in around 40 states and most of the provinces of Canada and I've found the only drivers that are worse than Kansas City are in Boston. I won't give specific details about their bad driving habits but suffice it to say, it seems as though most of the drivers here are very self absorbed and don't pay attention to what is going on around them.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:49 AM

264 posts, read 444,234 times
Quote:
Most people I've heard from generally say that "anything north of Albanÿ" is upstate.
I live in Albany- we most certainly call it upstate NY here?! Ok, I take it back.. I technically live in Schenectady, but it's 10 miles from Albany. Everyone here says 'upstate NY'... what would you classify it as?

Anywho, I think it's funny.. I'm dying to get out of here Why don't I like it here? Well, I don't hate it here- not by a long shot. I think the area has things to offer. That said, I've lived here 30 years and would love change (I'm 30 now, btw, so my whole life). I'm over the snow (we get an average of 65" here), the schools (for the most part) are horrid, crime a little high for my liking, not really enough for me to do.. I prefer to be a bit closer to large cities. NYC is close 'enough' for a day trip for sure (and I do that several times a year).. but it's a bit far for me. I also don't like the prices for a decent house, and the taxes are dreadful.

I would love to move to the 'burbs of Atlanta And we're hoping to do so, but it will take about 5-6 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.