Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 01:07 AM

698 posts, read 1,509,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 585WNY View Post
This is why you have to legalize it on a national level. If only CA legalizes it then the state will be overrun by 18 year old kids that just want to get high
Well if you read the initiative, the age being proposed is 21 which I think is a huge mistake. Marijuana usage in public schools(especially California) is incredibly high even higher than the figures reported by the government. If all of a sudden they don't have access to Marijuana they might turn to more dangerous drugs like cocaine, heroin, and meth all drugs that can actually kill you and do long term damage to your health(unlike cannabis which has 0 recorded deaths). I believe the age should be set at 18. If you can die for your country you sure as hell should be able to smoke a cigarette or hopefully if this voter initiative passes light a joint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2010, 02:51 AM

3,018 posts, read 3,567,892 times
Thank goodness (for those under 21) then that the black market for marijuana will take years and years to 'dry up'.

Old 03-28-2010, 06:25 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyHolliday! View Post
Well if you read the initiative, the age being proposed is 21 which I think is a huge mistake. Marijuana usage in public schools(especially California) is incredibly high even higher than the figures reported by the government. If all of a sudden they don't have access to Marijuana they might turn to more dangerous drugs like cocaine, heroin, and meth all drugs that can actually kill you and do long term damage to your health(unlike cannabis which has 0 recorded deaths)
I know Californians often seem averse to this ever happening, but in most of the country kids know how to obtain legal drugs. In most of the country kids get drunk before they ever do marijuana or coke. Their parents, or their friends parents, have alcohol on their premises and so they sneak it.

For whatever reason Californians I've met online seem insistent, adamant even, that this just can't happen. That illegal drugs are the most easy to obtain and that adults just can't be tricked or stolen from like that. Or maybe adults in California don't drink alcohol and never smoke cigarettes, but I really don't think that's true.

However looking it up it underage drinking really does happen in California, even if it may happen less than in some states. If legal I would assume marijuana would be the same so kids would still be able to do pot the same as now.

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=...5xcINXwDOjm_UA

Old 03-28-2010, 10:04 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
Will you move to California if California legalizes marijuana?
No. All the more reason not to move to California.

Old 03-28-2010, 10:21 AM

390 posts, read 1,048,199 times
Willing to move t California if they legalize marijuana? - If you're willing to pay a rather heavy tax, go right ahead!

Old 03-28-2010, 10:42 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,692,607 times
No that's like moving somewhere so you can buy cheaper cigarettes.

Old 03-28-2010, 10:45 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,389,847 times
It appears that the initiative will pass, based on polling. Interestingly, those opposed to legalizing marijuana are some of the growers\ distributors of medical marijuana because it could hurt their business. Some law enforcement people are against it for the usual out-dated reasons. Any attempt to scare people with untrue info about marijuana will be rejected. Essentially, California has already legalized marijuana & Los Angeles is an example of how easy it is to purchase it [over 1000 dispensaries].

The fact that the state will be able to make money off of marijuana will likely be the deciding factor. Once marijuana becomes totally legal [like it is in Canada] the rest of the U.S. will eventually follow California's lead like they do on everything else. Can you image a state [like in the South] still arresting & putting people in prison for simple possession of a small amount of weed when it is legal in California? Those states will become all the more the laughingstock of America.

Old 03-28-2010, 10:49 AM

1,077 posts, read 3,237,781 times
Quote:
Cali's gotta save their econmoy somehow, and I don't think there's any gold left. california always gives droves a people a reason to move there from time to time. It colud usher in another econmic boom for california. Don't under estimate the underground economy of weed in which billions of dollars are generated annually globally.

There's actually a lot of gold left according to experts.

Second, I'd hate to to see this states population triple with potheads, yea, that's what we need. They would just get there weed non-legetimately and smoke it legally, that helps no one.

Old 03-28-2010, 11:19 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
Talking California, here they come!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest209 View Post

Second, I'd hate to to see this states population triple with potheads, yea, that's what we need.
Triple! Maybe if this was 40 years ago in the 1960s! It is pretty expensive to move to many parts of California now.

However, I think you are partially right and you may see a small influx. California already has a liberatarian reputation, this can only add to it.

Lol, at the same time I would not mind my state sending a few of our "potheads" to California. We have quite a surplus and we would like to share. But that would take some intelligence in Albany so don't hold your breath.

Old 03-28-2010, 11:25 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
I'm packin up my stuff ASAP, and moving to California. Goodbye philly, hello california "green" rush. Alot of other people where I live will probably try the same thing. Whats your take on it.
I encourage you to go there. Bring lots of money because when you all move in, a lot of people will leave and you'll have to shoulder the tax burden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.