Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2014, 02:06 PM

1,003 posts, read 1,612,024 times

Advertisements

Of course! I think we'd see less hatred, intolerance, judgement and sexual repression that leads to dysfunction, rape, molestation, ect...Peace in Israel...decrease in wars...

Old 01-06-2014, 02:14 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,924,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWho? View Post
Religion doesn't help that much with right and wrong. For the amount of supposedly "religious" people in the world, there sure is a lot of wrong going on. I can't think of any of my non-religious friends who are not well educated and moral. The religious on the other hand... Toss up. I'd say 70/30 I think the problem might be that they are so easily forgiven. Maybe you should hold back on that and threaten them with eternal damnation after a single major offense or a half dozen minor ones...
Religion, if allowed to be practiced by people to the fullest, is the key to unity, and peace in the world. Much of the problems right now are being caused by the "political correctness" of the secular society, a society that polices the religious into suppressing their faith. Such suppression then allows Satan to then tempt the people into to doing evil.

All your Atheist friends may have been moral and educated, while the religious friends may have been a tossup, but your small sample of friends does not reflect the majority. Religion, if practiced to the fullest with no oppositions, can allow for better conditions of the world, and allow the practitioners not to give into sin so easily, so they won't have to repeatedly repent.

Old 01-06-2014, 02:23 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,108,604 times
If religion didn't exist people would find some other reason to start wars. I doubt a religion free world would equal a conflict free world. As long as people exist there will be disagreement and some people willing to go to the extreme to try to prove they are right. Religion has brought about good as well, so I think it's unfair to act like religion is the source of everyone's problems. And if a lot of these so called religious people really practiced what their religion tells them to, then they wouldn't do the violent things they do.

For example,true Islam doesn't advocate blowing yourself up on a school bus full of children. Some bad/evil people use religion as their scape goat to justify committing horrible acts, but it's the person doing those acts. Not the religion.

Old 01-06-2014, 04:26 PM

2,962 posts, read 4,999,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
Religion, if allowed to be practiced by people to the fullest, is the key to unity, and peace in the world. Much of the problems right now are being caused by the "political correctness" of the secular society, a society that polices the religious into suppressing their faith. Such suppression then allows Satan to then tempt the people into to doing evil.

All your Atheist friends may have been moral and educated, while the religious friends may have been a tossup, but your small sample of friends does not reflect the majority. Religion, if practiced to the fullest with no oppositions, can allow for better conditions of the world, and allow the practitioners not to give into sin so easily, so they won't have to repeatedly repent.
I fully agree the statement about my friends was anecdotal, but experience is experience.
Sorry as to the rest, not seeing it. I think it may even be the other way around.I tend to agree with Mr. Weinberg."Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion."

Old 01-07-2014, 01:51 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,705,472 times
Who would have thought that in the 21st century, with all our advances in knowledge, that you would still have people grovelling on their knees praying to invisible imaginary entities.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:31 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,426,693 times
Questions like these remind me of a funny meme I saw. "How I see Math word problems: If you have 4 pencils and have 7 apples, how many pancakes will fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens dont wear hats."

There is no possible answer to these kind of questions, and to consider them is folly because human nature is entirely unpredictable. If we had no religion, we would just find something else to fight about.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:45 AM

2,962 posts, read 4,999,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Questions like these remind me of a funny meme I saw. "How I see Math word problems: If you have 4 pencils and have 7 apples, how many pancakes will fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens dont wear hats."

There is no possible answer to these kind of questions, and to consider them is folly because human nature is entirely unpredictable. If we had no religion, we would just find something else to fight about.
Hypotheticals are exercises for the mind. I hardly see that as "folly".

Old 01-07-2014, 12:47 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,591,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
Who would have thought that in the 21st century, with all our advances in knowledge, that you would still have people grovelling on their knees praying to invisible imaginary entities.
radio waves are invisible, does that mean they are imaginary ?

Old 01-07-2014, 02:17 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,924,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWho? View Post
I fully agree the statement about my friends was anecdotal, but experience is experience.
Sorry as to the rest, not seeing it. I think it may even be the other way around.I tend to agree with Mr. Weinberg."Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion."
And that is false. As stated before, within the texts, religion contains the key for peace, unity, and kindness for all in the world. Religious people who are able to resist all temptations lead pure lives, purer than anyone else in the world. The only thing that causes religious people to commit crimes is temptation from Satan.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:34 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,229,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
radio waves are invisible, does that mean they are imaginary ?
There is proof that radio waves exist, as they are a product of man. There is not a shred of proof that any omniscient deity ever existed, except in some people's minds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates