Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 09:43 PM

305 posts, read 376,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWho? View Post
I think it may be rough going at first, but would be better in the long run.
let me guess, you're an atheist? lolz

Before religion, people went straight to hell. So, yes, religion is better than atheism. Who wants to go to hell?

Old 12-28-2013, 10:08 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,120,086 times
Hell was invented by the early christians as a means to separate the believers from their money.

Old 12-28-2013, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeatheist View Post
Hell was invented by the early christians as a means to separate the believers from their money.
That's why you're so hung up on it all. I smell BS^

Old 12-28-2013, 10:20 PM
EA

No, that is not what I'm hung up on. You brought it up.
I am hung up on the mistreatment of humans and spread of willful ignorance religion specializes in.

Old 12-29-2013, 12:34 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,325,190 times
Quote:
What about believers who had no money?

Old 12-29-2013, 12:44 AM
EA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
What about believers who had no money?
Then they couldn't buy the "pass" from hell the bishops and priests were selling.

Old 12-29-2013, 01:03 AM

Quote:
No, that is not what I'm hung up on. You brought it up.
I am hung up on the mistreatment of humans and spread of willful ignorance religion specializes in.
I'm a believer. You claim you are not. So, it makes no sense for you to obsess over something that doesn't exist.

Mistreatment of humans? There is no recognized religion whose mission is to mistreat humans. In fact, the only mistreatment of humans and their souls is by atheists. Sending people straight to hell and offering nothing. You don't believe in anything so you should really just disappear.

Old 12-29-2013, 01:15 AM
EA

Quote:
Originally Posted by theGreat1 View Post
I'm a believer. You claim you are not. So, it makes no sense for you to obsess over something that doesn't exist.

Mistreatment of humans? There is no recognized religion whose mission is to mistreat humans. In fact, the only mistreatment of humans and their souls is by atheists. Sending people straight to hell and offering nothing. You don't believe in anything so you should really just disappear.

It's called knowing your enemy.

You should really ready your bible or quran which ever you subscribe to. BOTH books are chock full of commands to hurt other humans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theGreat1 View Post
What? You're not even making sense. Blowing smoke and spreading lies.

The early catholics created hell as a punishment. That is why it doesn't exist in the old testament.
They made up hell to scare the believers. If you sin you will go to hell and burn in a lake of fire. Pretty scary huh? Well, for the low low fee of a few pieces of silver you can purchase a pass for various sins which keeps you out of hell.
Eventually they discovered that they no longer needed to sell the passes, people would pay just to go to church. They phased out the passes and introduced confession.
Feel free to look into it. It's documented.

Old 12-29-2013, 01:34 AM

Quote:
It's called knowing your enemy.
You should really ready your bible or quran which ever you subscribe to. BOTH books are chock full of commands to hurt other humans. The early catholics created hell as a punishment. That is why it doesn't exist in the old testament.
They made up hell to scare the believers. If you sin you will go to hell and burn in a lake of fire. Pretty scary huh? Well, for the low low fee of a few pieces of silver you can purchase a pass for various sins which keeps you out of hell.
Eventually they discovered that they no longer needed to sell the passes, people would pay just to go to church. They phased out the passes and introduced confession.
Something that doesn't exist, is your enemy? Sounds crazy. I don't believe in green aliens from mars. You don't see me dedicating my existence to spreading vitriol against green aliens. You're not fooling anybody, devil. You're just making yourself look like a liar.

FYI, I don't read the quoran. I have Protestant beliefs. I don't recall ever being taught to "hurt other humans." You can go to any Christian website and study their mission statement. You're just not going to find it, devil. You're trying to hurt religious people by spreading hate. What's next on your agenda, throwing us all in jail because we believe? Devil, you are out of your mind.

Is there punishment for sins? Yes, but that is a result of a sinner's own doing. We believe in a lawful society. If you go out and shoot up a school, you deserve whatever punishment you receive. If you run out and punch somebody in the face, then you deserve to go to jail, sit there, and rot. Law, is what civilization is built upon. Sounds like you're just advocating lawlessness; people should just do what they want, unless they believe in religion. You just don't make sense.

Old 12-29-2013, 01:38 AM

Quote:
The early catholics created hell as a punishment. That is why it doesn't exist in the old testament.
Nobody has ever in my life, charged me or anybody I know to attend church. Moderator cut: personal remarks

Last edited by Marka; 01-02-2014 at 03:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates