Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2013, 06:50 PM

2,962 posts, read 4,999,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifijohn View Post
I believe its impossible to separate humans from religion,just like it is impossible to separate us from creating music.atheists have for decades said if only there wasnt any religion, we would be better of, but look at the soviet union they got rid of religion and were they any better???
You're probably right. I'm not thinking of the complete absence of religion but rather less dependence on it. When legislation, healthcare, or civil rights are affected it dilutes the original intention.

Old 01-01-2014, 11:08 PM

11 posts, read 14,050 times
Default The answer it there!

It definitely will be better off without religion. Religion should not define how people should be .

Old 01-01-2014, 11:27 PM

5,483 posts, read 3,926,353 times
Fun to debate, impossible to determine. Way too many other variables involved, and we're not capable of running a regression analysis on...all of life (lol), controlling only for religion and nothing else. Hence my "staunch but not militant atheist" self-identification.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:51 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiryasjoelvillage View Post
It definitely will be better off without religion. Religion should not define how people should be .
LOL.

You probably don't know that religion provided the majority of early hospitals and is now still responsible for the majority of soup kitchens, food pantries, homeless shelters, etc.

Old 01-02-2014, 01:58 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,591,694 times
the answer is far worse without religion.

Old 01-02-2014, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
LOL.

You probably don't know that religion provided the majority of early hospitals and is now still responsible for the majority of soup kitchens, food pantries, homeless shelters, etc.
Think about all the bad things. It's kind of a wash.

Old 01-02-2014, 04:44 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,241,188 times
Quote:
LOL.

Why is believing in fairy tales, superstitions & imaginary super beings required to do this?

Old 01-03-2014, 02:19 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,924,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geos View Post
All of this could be accomplished without lies, fairy tales and superstition. It's also a great example of delusional religious thinking. We need to worship this god who did nothing to prevent this horrible tragedy and beg her (or him or it) not to do it again. Wow! If that isn't nuts I don't know what is.
The people aren't going to turn away from God because of the disaster because they already know that the world is imperfect as it is due to the sins of Adam and Eve. God is helping those faithful ones through those various treacheries, and he promises, in the end, a world even more ideal than the Garden of Eden. And the people see that.

Quote:
It's just an extra income source for doctors who concoct studies "proving" it's necessity.
And its true; there are many scientifically proven benefits of circumcision. As stated before, thousands of the procedures are done every day, and the vast majority result in no injuries.

Quote:
As was Mao's China and Kim's N. Korea. Then you have the barbaric Muslim theocracies in the middle east. It has more to do with humanity's barbaric nature than religion. But at least Christians aren't burning women for being witches or heretics who claim the the Sun doesn't revolve around the earth. You can dance around it all you want; bottom line: religion is a source of ignorance, fairy tales, lies, superstition and mindless rituals.
And humans do have a barbaric nature.... it is the nature of humans without the light of God. But by following the light of God, objective order is established, and there is actually a drive for perfection. Yes, some of those who are of God can commit acts of sin... if they turn against God's Word and follow Satan;'s temptation. Atheists never can understand the true Word of God because they are of the spiritually-blind, and thus they can only see religion as "ignorance, fairy-tales, lies, superstition, and mindless rituals."

Old 01-03-2014, 04:30 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWho? View Post
Think about all the bad things. It's kind of a wash.
What bad things specifically?

Don't tell me your one of those people who actually believe the Crusades was about religion? The Crusades were about trade routes and empire building which used religion as a way to get the poor to participate.

King, "I want to increase my holdings and tax other lands. Join my army."

King, "These barbarians are trying to destroy our religious heritage and desecrate our holiest sites. They want to force you to defy your God and worship their false prophet. Join my army to stop them."

Which sells better?

Quote:
Why is believing in fairy tales, superstitions & imaginary super beings required to do this?
Why didn't those not believing in fairy tales and superstitions build these things?

Old 01-03-2014, 06:02 PM

Quote:
What bad things specifically?

Don't tell me your one of those people who actually believe the Crusades was about religion? The Crusades were about trade routes and empire building which used religion as a way to get the poor to participate.

King, "I want to increase my holdings and tax other lands. Join my army."

King, "These barbarians are trying to destroy our religious heritage and desecrate our holiest sites. They want to force you to defy your God and worship their false prophet. Join my army to stop them."

Which sells better?

Why didn't those not believing in fairy tales and superstitions build these things?
Interesting. So you think The Crusades, The Dark Ages, and The Inquisition were just non-believers manipulating religious people who were obviously rather naive, or whose faith led them to do things their faith condemns?

As for homeless shelters and soup kitchens - about a third are faith based. Religious organizations contribute a much larger share of food programs, while secular programs provide a larger share of housing and health care. Oddly enough, faith based programs are much more likely to serve single homeless men, while secular programs serve families and women with children.

Last edited by HarryWho?; 01-03-2014 at 06:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates