Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2013, 01:52 AM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,120,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theGreat1 View Post
Something that doesn't exist, is your enemy? Sounds crazy. I don't believe in green aliens from mars. You don't see me dedicating my existence to spreading vitriol against green aliens. You're not fooling anybody, devil. You're just making yourself look like a liar.

FYI, I don't read the quoran. I have Protestant beliefs. I don't recall ever being taught to "hurt other humans." You can go to any Christian website and study their mission statement. You're just not going to find it, devil. You're trying to hurt religious people by spreading hate. What's next on your agenda, throwing us all in jail because we believe? Devil, you are out of your mind.

Is there punishment for sins? Yes, but that is a result of a sinner's own doing. We believe in a lawful society. If you go out and shoot up a school, you deserve whatever punishment you receive. If you run out and punch somebody in the face, then you deserve to go to jail, sit there, and rot. Law, is what civilization is built upon. Sounds like you're just advocating lawlessness; people should just do what they want, unless it's believe in religion. You just don't make sense.

Moderator cut: personal remarks

Religion exists, does it not? THAT is what I am against.

I said Quran OR, or being the key word there, the bible. The words following my suggestion further explain. I wasn't going to assume you were a christian or muslim and you didn't tell me so I included both.
Hurting humans does not always mean physically assaulting others. However, the bible explicitly instructs believers to put to death witches, adulterers, mind readers, unruly children, and even people of other religions. I can pull the verses if need be.

The vatican, the head of the catholic church, funded missions to Africa specifically to misinform the aids stricken population on condom usage. Those vile people told Africans that condoms SPREAD AIDS which is demonstrably false. They very literally sentenced millions of Africans to death.
Muslims told those same Africans that vaccines were evil and deadly and to reject them, which they did. This harmed thousands of Africans.
This is just in this century.

Religion and battered wife syndrome are indistinguishable from one another. THAT is harmful.
Religion beats down it's adherents and convinces them that they need religion and they are worthless without it, much like a wife beating husband.

I do not know where you are getting this lawlessness idea I supposedly want. You're just making things up. I'm very pro constitution, pro personal responsibility, and pro accountibility.

I'd never force people to stop practicing their religion for 2 reasons.
1 The 1st amendment.
2 It wouldn't work, it'd only strengthen their belief.

Last edited by Marka; 01-02-2014 at 03:34 AM..

Old 12-29-2013, 01:55 AM
EA

Quote:
Originally Posted by theGreat1 View Post
Nobody has ever in my life, charged me or anybody I know to attend church. Another lie. Oh, I get it. You lose an argument and so you make stuff up. Crazy stupid.
"people would pay just to go to church."

I NEVER said charge now did I. I said people would PAY to go to church. I did NOT say they would be charged, or even forced to pay. I said, they would pay. You know, TITHE. Putting money into the collection plate. Stop trying to put words in my mouth Moderator cut: personal attacks

Last edited by Marka; 01-02-2014 at 03:34 AM..

Old 12-29-2013, 02:19 AM

305 posts, read 376,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeatheist View Post
Do you actually think before posting?
Religion exists, does it not? THAT is what I am against.
I said Quran OR, or being the key word there, the bible. The words following my suggestion further explain. I wasn't going to assume you were a christian or muslim and you didn't tell me so I included both.
Hurting humans does not always mean physically assaulting others. However, the bible explicitly instructs believers to put to death witches, adulterers, mind readers, unruly children, and even people of other religions. I can pull the verses if need be.
The vatican, the head of the catholic church, funded missions to Africa specifically to misinform the aids stricken population on condom usage. Those vile people told Africans that condoms SPREAD AIDS which is demonstrably false. They very literally sentenced millions of Africans to death.
Muslims told those same Africans that vaccines were evil and deadly and to reject them, which they did. This harmed thousands of Africans.
This is just in this century.
Religion and battered wife syndrome are indistinguishable from one another. THAT is harmful.
Religion beats down it's adherents and convinces them that they need religion and they are worthless without it, much like a wife beating husband.
I do not know where you are getting this lawlessness idea I supposedly want. You're just making things up. I'm very pro constitution, pro personal responsibility, and pro accountibility.
I'd never force people to stop practicing their religion for 2 reasons.
1 The 1st amendment.
2 It wouldn't work, it'd only strengthen their belief.
You would never force anybody to stop believing because 1. legally, you can't; 2. philosophically, you can't; 3. anything you would propose is utterly inferior, downright laughable, and simply untrue . You still haven't explained why any rational, well intentioned person would spend his life trying to refute something that does not exist. You don't see me going to any length to refute martians.

Battered wife syndrome? Here you are, diagnosing people without a medical license, people you've never met. More quackery. Do you have anything to offer other than attacking religion? What do you have to offer people? What is your theory on the meaning of life? How did life begin? Where does it end?

Far as Africans and catholics, I'm not Catholic, so I don't know if it's true or not, why they would lie to the Africans. I wasn't there. Neither were you. So, you really don't know. You're just speculating, at best. By the way, what have you done to help these poor Africans? I don't see any atheists lending a hand or doing anything to help humankind. Just complain and leach off of religious society.

How can you claim to not advocate lawlessness, when, by their very nature, laws are designed to punish people? To advocate civilization, means you advocate restraints/punishments on people. Which goes against everything you claim is bad about religion. You truly don't make sense.

PRACTICE WHAT YOU PREACH.

Old 12-29-2013, 05:40 AM

2,962 posts, read 5,001,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin View Post
Exactly. If the human race became extinct, the world wouldn't have any problems.

But, I have to say that in the past 113 years, humanism has killed probably more people than all the religious wars of written history combined.
Only because there are more targets and better weapons. That doesn't change the premise.

Old 12-29-2013, 05:40 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,102,741 times
About hell: why would I go there? I've never been a boss.

Old 12-29-2013, 06:06 AM

757 posts, read 1,025,268 times
Definitely worse, much worse. Religion provides human civilization a foundation of virtues and morality, a much needed guidance for creating just and civilized world and society, which subsequently lead to law and order the way we have it in most civilized countries today. Imagine back in the ancient pagan world when gods/idols are created for personal gain, benefits and well-being. Everyone were there for themselves instead of the good of their community and human race in general.

The problem with religion lies in the personal interpretation of God's words and teaching. Apparently, when it is twisted and taken out of context by aggressive and extreme individuals disastrous tragedy happens. However, it is not the fault of religion but that of much flawed human nature. Deluded and uneducated souls could really be turned into evil.

Old 12-29-2013, 06:17 AM
EA

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Crusoe View Post

The problem with religion lies in the personal interpretation of God's words and teaching. Apparently, when it is twisted and taken out of context by aggressive and extreme individuals disastrous tragedy happens. However, it is not the fault of religion but that of much flawed human nature. Deluded and uneducated souls could really be turned into evil.
Which god?

Old 12-29-2013, 07:19 AM

2,962 posts, read 5,001,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Crusoe View Post
Definitely worse, much worse. Religion provides human civilization a foundation of virtues and morality, a much needed guidance for creating just and civilized world and society, which subsequently lead to law and order the way we have it in most civilized countries today. Imagine back in the ancient pagan world when gods/idols are created for personal gain, benefits and well-being. Everyone were there for themselves instead of the good of their community and human race in general.

I'd have to disagree. I think religion had a hand in the dark ages and actually held man back. Christianity has a lot of rites and customs borrowed from the "pagans", and of course, the most religious countries are certainly not the most civilized.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:24 AM

2,403 posts, read 5,242,684 times
The big lie of religion is not that there's a "god" but that there's a benevolent god you can petition with prayer. Of course there's a creative force otherwise we wouldn't be here but "You cannot petition the lord with prayer" in the words of Jim Morrison. Well, you can but it won't do you any good. There's not a shred of evidence that prayers, chants, twirling, rain dancing, sacrificing virgins or any other religious ritual has the slightest effect.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:29 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,026,672 times
Depends which religions you're talking about. Christianity = definitely. Religions such as Buddhism are benign though and beneficial to the soul.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates