Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2017, 10:46 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJan View Post
Any woman who has survived domestic violence would call your argument blaming the victim. Any psychologist would ask if you have conflated concomitance with causation. Perhaps single mothers do not create "screwed up little boys" all by themselves. Perhaps in part the DNA of the fathers plays a part in their higher rates of criminality.

These "screwed up" little boys are also the genetic offspring of men who could not/would not maintain a relationship. They are the sons of women who left dangerous, erratic, abusive and/or addicted men--and they are also the sons of those men.

I would like to stand up for those mothers who have the courage to leave--and I know how hard it can be and how dangerous it can be--in order to protect their "screwed up little boys".
It isn't just one or the other, it is a variation of problems.

Yes, there are women out there who have had to survive unstable relationships, who have had to leave. The boys growing up in such turmoil have been damaged by that. That cannot be denied. That is just on dynamic that is taking place.

Dynamic #2 is in many cases, father abuses child, and the child becomes as screwed up as the father was.
Dynamic #3. Woman has sex with multiple men, doesn't know who the father is.
Dynamic #4. Neither parent got it right, child might have been raised in foster care or by a relative who wasn't fit to be raising children.
Dynamic #5. Woman might be choosing a man whom she know's is no good, but is to irresponsible to understand this, and voila, child born into a dysfunctional situation.
Dynamic #6. Some cases, a woman might throw the man out, rake him for child support, and keep the child away from the father. This happens more than you know.
Dynamic #7. Boy learns how to be violent by the father teaching him to be that way.
Dynamic #8. Boy could learn violence from his mother.

It isn't just one or the other. You have to look at alot of factors. It takes two. And when one party is not doing their job the right way, everybody pays the price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2017, 11:33 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,085,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
I am a teacher. Trust me, no one advocates for change more than teachers. We are the ones going to the state capital begging them to recognize the problem. We are the ones telling them what needs to be fixed. But guess what? The people who create and perpetuate this system of education have usually never been in a classroom either. Teachers hands are tied. We do as much as we can, but voters need to vote and make their voices heard. The turnout for school board and local elections is pathetically low, so nothing changes.
Are they going to the state with a plan or just with their hand out for more money, which seems to be typical.

Old 05-11-2017, 11:45 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
There's a reason for that:

If you could stop the homicides committed by blacks and other minorities especially in low-income neighborhoods, then the entire U.S. would become as safe as Maine and Vermont. There would cease to be any unsafe areas in this country.

So, it's kind of hard to ignore.
So that kid would not have shot up Newtown (and dozens of other examples)?

And my ex-SIL wouldn't have shot her BF in the stomach during a binge of coke and booze?

Amazing....

Old 05-11-2017, 12:37 PM

3,987 posts, read 2,111,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
As much of an issue as I have with Black men and Muslim men's violence. Did you expect White men's issues with violence to be excluded from this thread simply because they're White? If so, massive F A I L on that thought.

Thanks, yes I do have a VERY accurate observation on the violence of WM. When I think of violence I rank sexual violence just as high as physical violence because it is that.
You are entitled to your beliefs. I happen to believe Islam is evil, violent, and barbaric. Therefore, they are more likely to produce thoes kinds of men- plain and simple. As for blacks- most don't have a father in the home to set an example- so they turn to bad examples that promote violence. Also, not having a father causes a lot of internal anger, and coupled with a lack of coping skills- violence is often the outcome. I never said white men are not violent- just less likely to be.

Old 05-11-2017, 02:56 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
You are entitled to your beliefs. I happen to believe Islam is evil, violent, and barbaric. Therefore, they are more likely to produce those kinds of men- plain and simple].
So plain and simple - so what explains the Japanese "civilized advanced" Buddhists cutting open live people en masse after exposing them to various diseases? 20 Million or more Chinese killed...and NOT because they resisted with weapon. Just because the Japanese felt absolutely no empathy toward them. Not a bit. In fact, killing innocents (women, children included) would get them closer to the Emperor and to Heaven.

I'm no apologists for Islam, but I think one of the reasons Americans dislike Islam is the same reason we dislike Russians and various other groups. THEY FIGHT BACK.

In other words, strange customers aside, Islam is smart and defends its women and sovereignty. Many of the men are warriors - even to a greater extent (do more with less, more ready to die, work harder) than most Americans.

Any group that does not defend their "honor" with violence and warriors will soon be under the thumb of a Putin or a Cheney.

Old 05-11-2017, 03:07 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
Are they going to the state with a plan or just with their hand out for more money, which seems to be typical.
If you're insinuating that we are going there for more teacher pay, then no. More money for special education programs? Yes, at times. My state recently passed a cap on the percentage of kids in special education programs schools can have. That's absurd. It means kids who really need help and services won't (and aren't) getting either if the school has already met their "quota" of kids with special needs. Dropping that cap means more kids will get help, which will cost the state money. So, if that counts as asking for more money, then I guess we are. But it's hardly going to the teachers.

Old 05-11-2017, 05:31 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,064,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
If you're insinuating that we are going there for more teacher pay, then no. More money for special education programs? Yes, at times. My state recently passed a cap on the percentage of kids in special education programs schools can have. That's absurd. It means kids who really need help and services won't (and aren't) getting either if the school has already met their "quota" of kids with special needs. Dropping that cap means more kids will get help, which will cost the state money. So, if that counts as asking for more money, then I guess we are. But it's hardly going to the teachers.
There aren't that many special needs children, but theres no shortage of teachers who want more.

Old 05-11-2017, 07:13 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
There aren't that many special needs children, but theres no shortage of teachers who want more.
There are more special needs children than the states wants there to be. The number of kids on the autism spectrum increases every year, but our state is cutting programs to help children with special needs. How does that make sense?

I've never asked for a raise. I'm not in a union (nor are most teachers where I live). You don't hear about us in the news.

Old 05-11-2017, 11:47 PM

68 posts, read 115,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Men are inherently more aggressive than women. In fact, most mammalian species are this way. Are you really surprised?

And yes, race/ethnicity is a major factor. According to the same FBI statistics website that you reference, black males commit the majority of homicides. It's remarkable because black males are about 6.5% of the entire U.S. population yet perpetrate 60% of the murders.

And really, it's some small fraction of that population; most black Americans are respectable people but there's this 1% gangbanger population that packs heat and is quick to use it.

In fact if you were to ignore this small but violent fraction of the population, our general murder rates and gun homicide rates would be only slightly above those of Canada and western Europe--in other words, not a major problem. Certainly it wouldn't justify the kind of hysterical anti-gun activists that are trying to ban all firearms. They either don't know or don't care who's doing all the shooting.

And yes, there's more violence among black and Hispanic women than among white women. It's not just gender. It's cultural, economic, and ethnic factors.

No one's trying to "ban all firearms". If you think denying an extremist who's gotten himself put on the no-fly list a semi-automatic weapon is a violation of his 2nd amendment rights (the NRA has spent $$$ lobbying this very position), then you need to take a good hard look at yourself.

Men in this country are largely given a pass. They're allowed to behave badly and do things women would never consider doing to defend their egos, among other things. Perhaps black men are the most likely to use firearms because:

1) They're far more likely to be raised in a one parent, impoverished home, because their fathers are incarcerated (most for non-violent offenses). Kids in these conditions are more likely to be left unsupervised while their mother works, and to be introduced to drugs and other illegal activity during that time.

2) Their schools are underfunded, which leaves them ill-prepared to compete for good jobs that would be more lucrative than illegal activity.

Obviously if being black were the cause of this statistic then the black populations of Great Brittan and Canada would skew their results as well. That doesn't happen because their societies do not rely on mass incarceration and de-funding school in favor of tax cuts for the wealthy as the US does.

Old 05-12-2017, 02:54 AM

1,663 posts, read 876,353 times
Quote:
No one's trying to "ban all firearms". If you think denying an extremist who's gotten himself put on the no-fly list a semi-automatic weapon is a violation of his 2nd amendment rights (the NRA has spent $$$ lobbying this very position), then you need to take a good hard look at yourself.
Diane Fienstein wants to ban all firearms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeRR7MwllH8

The no-fly list is riddled with errors, many people have been wrongly placed on it.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/...7TO/story.html

It also violates the 2nd and 5th amendments, as it ignores the right to due process. Felons are banned from having guns, yet many have them. How many do think got them at a gun shop?

Quote:
Men in this country are largely given a pass. They're allowed to behave badly and do things women would never consider doing to defend their egos, among other things..
Nonsense. Do you have any actual examples of this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates