Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 09:45 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,072,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Maybe this will **** down BLM for a bit. The truth has got to hurt. But we know this will make no difference.
Tribunist.com is a notorious fake-news outlet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2017, 09:46 AM

66 posts, read 53,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
What bothers me about this whole conversation about Police Brutality/BLM is that really the only way that this issue is ever going to be resolved is by Black leaders directly engaging police departments. No amount of kneeling at NFL games, protesting or media play is going to save any one life more than getting down to the issue at hand in regards to police policy. Which leads me to my main point:

Many fatal shootings involving police officers could be entirely avoided if we really re-evaluated the ways we train officers/direct departments to engage civilians. Take traffic stops for example: Do we really need here in 2017 to have officers doing this? This is a waste of resources. First off, traffic stops are extremely dangerous for officers, leading to a highly charged situation to begin with. Second, with the speed camera/red-light camera technology out there we shouldn't have officers pulling over people for those things. Third, if it's things like broken taillights or improper driving that is at issue, then use the dashboard camera to photograph/flim the offending vehicle (and their license plate of course) and send the ticket to the offending address.

Another is dealing with youths. Rather than having officers be the first to respond to rowdy youth, instead we need to work with community leadership to have respected adults in the neighborhood work to de-escalate situations and try to help young people build problem solving skills rather than act out.

I have other ideas, but my main point is we need to stop automatically villifiying both police officers as well as BLM because really both groups need to work together to solve issues.
This is one of the most ridiculous post i've ever seen in this forum.
You are asking the entire system to change for a couple of BLM activist, how is this a discussion?
How can anyone in their right mind can have that type of sense of entitlement?
First off, if someone who doesn't want to cooperate and escalate the situation, they will shot.
instead, why dont you go teach all of those people out there to cooperate and respect authority.
We should send you in the hood and in a police uniform and watch someone who come at you with a gun or other weapon and you tell them to stop.
Remember, you can't shoot because you want to sit down with them and talk, maybe after you're murdered.

Old 10-03-2017, 12:00 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,247,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
In a 2017 poll of police officers by Pew Research, 72% said that "police officers do not believe that officers who consistently do a poor job are held accountable".

But go ahead, do your own research, which you won't. You have a clear opinion already.

"endure an internal affairs investigation"? Good. Beneficial to the whole community to show that cops can be held responsible, although any wise person will debate the efficacy of self-policing of the profession (pun intended). An external investigation is what is needed in all such cases.

So what is a "poor job?" Doesn't say they are killing minorities. We had officers who were underperformers but they certainly were not killing minorities. They certainly didn't deserve to be fired if they weren't making enough arrests or writing enough tickets. Your attempt at maligning all cops is falling a little flat.

Old 10-03-2017, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17thAndK View Post
Tribunist.com is a notorious fake-news outlet.

Okay. I'll do your research for you.

No racial bias in police shootings, study by Harvard professor shows - Washington Times

Old 10-03-2017, 12:03 PM

Quote:
In a 2017 poll of police officers by Pew Research, 72% said that "police officers do not believe that officers who consistently do a poor job are held accountable".

But go ahead, do your own research, which you won't. You have a clear opinion already.

"endure an internal affairs investigation"? Good. Beneficial to the whole community to show that cops can be held responsible, although any wise person will debate the efficacy of self-policing of the profession (pun intended). An external investigation is what is needed in all such cases.

As do you based on what I've seen you post before.

Old 10-03-2017, 12:20 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Who exactly are “community leaders†and what kind of authority do you think they actually have?
They have the authority to absolve civic leaders that belong to their political party or mitigate the outrage directed against them.

BLM will never get anywhere because their backers and supporters are not allowed to take the fight to the areas of worst offense in any serious sense. In this case almost zero fallout:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooti...aquan_McDonald

This account is very *nice* because it doesn't mention that the settlement with his family was part of a cover-up prior to charges being brought. Also doesn't mention that charges weren't brought against the officer until the day before the press was breaking the story....over a year later.

All the city did was make some toothless paper proclamations about "doing better" and made a worthless "taskforce"....and it all went away.

Don't rock the party bus BLM and be sure to sit in the back while you're at it.

Old 10-03-2017, 12:52 PM

50,831 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
So what is a "poor job?" Doesn't say they are killing minorities. We had officers who were underperformers but they certainly were not killing minorities. They certainly didn't deserve to be fired if they weren't making enough arrests or writing enough tickets. Your attempt at maligning all cops is falling a little flat.
I'm not maligning all cops. I've know quite a few cops, and almost all were good, or even great police officers. But there are bad cops out there, and if you keep excusing them, then you're just proving my point.

Old 10-03-2017, 01:06 PM

66 posts, read 53,166 times
Quote:
I'm not maligning all cops. I've know quite a few cops, and almost all were good, or even great police officers. But there are bad cops out there, and if you keep excusing them, then you're just proving my point.
There are a lot of black people out there committing crimes.
When they are confronted by officers, they refuses to cooperate and escalate it to a danger situation for the officer.
So why are these BLM activist entitled to NOT FOLLOW the law while the rest of us have no problem with officer shooting us because we cooperate and follow the laws.
If you keep excusing them from the law, what is the point of having laws? You're just proving our point that you're an idiot.

Old 10-03-2017, 01:06 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,845,423 times
Quote:
For the purposes of this discussion I doubt anyone is focusing on the malingerers as those doing a "poor job," but rather those with the tendency to overplay their hands in their interaction with the community. "Stop and Frisk," as an example, can be a valuable tool but has been banned or severely regulated in many jurisdictions because some officers used it as a tool of harassment rather than a judicial enforcement technique. Training and supervision must address such concerns.

Old 10-03-2017, 01:18 PM

50,831 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j000z11 View Post
There are a lot of black people out there committing crimes.
When they are confronted by officers, they refuses to cooperate and escalate it to a danger situation for the officer.
So why are these BLM activist entitled to NOT FOLLOW the law while the rest of us have no problem with officer shooting us because we cooperate and follow the laws.
If you keep excusing them from the law, what is the point of having laws? You're just proving our point that you're an idiot.
1. You've made an assumption that I am excusing Black crime. I am not. However, I do hold a police officer -- a man (or woman) who has been hired to uphold the law -- at a somewhat higher standard than an ordinary citizen. This is no different than when I was a teacher and later principal...I held myself to a higher standard than the parents who sometimes came into our office; I was the official.

2. What is the point of laws and policies and regulations that cover the police, if they don't follow them?

3. You should be aware that in this sub-forum we do not excuse personal attack. That seems to be reserved more for the politics and other controversies sub-forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates