Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 06:26 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,668,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
We finally have a REAL war on drugs, although it is not designed to stop drugs coming into the US. We have started bombing the heroin factories in Afghanistan that the Taliban has been using to fund their activities.

That is a War on Drugs that i can get behind!
Oh, great - spend some BILLIONS so US Pharma can have all the action....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2017, 06:42 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,668,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Opiates are not that easy to synthesize or grow them at home, its why we arent seeing illegal poppy fields all over the place, despite a huge heroin problem.

They can only be grown in certain climates and it takes a huge amount of plants to produce enough usable narcotic opium, when i was an addict, we looked into growing our own, found it takes 5-8 acres of poppies to keep one moderate user supplied, its just not practical for the do it your selfer.

IF anyone had fake or homemade opiate drugs that truly worked the same way, they could be making a fortune right now...not seeing any evidence of that.
Surely you are familiar with fentanyl and other strong opiates - all being MADE (easily) in China and imported here. Oh, they work the same way except 10 to 200 times as strong.

I am very familiar with poppy cultivation.

Your "logic" is backwards. According to you, we SHOULD see fields all over the place - but we don't. Why? Well, first, there are plenty of fields. They grow in an amazing variety of climates - mostly temperate. Eastern Europe has endless vistas of them. As mentioned before, Australia and Tasmania grow amazing amount.

Look at the poppy seeds for sale online - they come from EVERYWHERE.

You are correct about one thing. Unlike Pot, it doesn't pay the average Joe or Jane to grow them. But the same can be said about a lot of things - wheat, for example - and that is not expensive, right?

You cannot eradicate the crops. Period. AND, making the stuff is easy. It costs a little more to make it than to use the plant matter (usually stalks!) as a base, but it certainly can be made and purchased on the web.

Furthermore, many related drugs are LEGAL. So you can buy some and not be arrested.

I'm sure you know that Immonium (constipation drug) is an opiate - as is cough syrup DXM).

No, the War on Opiates will not be won by eradication. It will be won by education......and perhaps a better lifestyle where people are not always seeking escape.

Here is just a little evidence of the "fortunes" you are talking about being made from synthetics or partial synthetics:
https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...445568863.html

"Of the roughly 64,000 drug overdose deaths in the U.S. in 2016, more than 20,000 involved synthetic opioids like fentanyl,"

I'm sure you know what synthetic refers to. Chemists are pretty good these days - especially in China. No, you and your friends are not going to cook up a batch, but it's easy for someone who was top of the class.

Old 11-22-2017, 12:55 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,438,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgforshort View Post
I don't wish to lock up or kill drug addicts UNLESS they take a life due to their greed or impaired actions.
As for the drug makers and the dealers, the death penalty should work, and no trips or wait for the Supreme Court.
I think Taiwan has something like that and their addiction rate is way below of the US. I don't have the numbers, please look it up and advise the rest of us, time permitting.
Don't ever follow Taiwan's example on drug policy (or on anything really). There's no other word to describe it other than that it's a complete flop. And no, there hasn't been any death verdict on drug-related crimes for a long time and there hasn't been any execution carried out since January, 2016.

Taiwan has a lower addiction rate solely because a) America has it too high, and b) the "drugs are dope" mentality is not the norm at all, instead, it's stigmitised in the most irrational way possible. That said, Taiwan has a high incarceration rate and overpopulation in prisons as well. Nowhere near as bad as in America, but it's way higher than countries economically/socially more on the same age such as Korea and Japan. Why? More than half of the inmates are drug users or dealers. The criminalisation of drug use is basically the sole reason why prisons are so crowded, and the recidivism rate is extremely high.

Old 11-23-2017, 09:04 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,577,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothick View Post
In CE I posted a story about how a police dept was indicted due to them searching over 900 HS students for drugs without a warrant and nothing was found. What is the deal with this? Now I know that people will talk about all the ways the harder drugs can mess you up, kill you even, and causes issues which I am not denying it's bad for sure, but I swear, police and politicians seem to view drugs as worse than genocide, worse than the holocaust, worse than anything a fusion of Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, Mao Zedong, Vlad the Impaler and the entire Kim Il Sung family could ever hope to come even close to creating as pure evil as DRUGS!!!! Like they straight-up get erections when they think about them.

Yes, I understand being against drugs and wanting to limit people getting them, but good lord most cops/politicians seem to have some very sick, sadistic and unhinged obsession with them. Hence, instead of treatment they choose just to throw them in prison for decades. Or if this were another time and these same people were some all-powerful Kings they'd have you drawn and quartered just for smoking a joint. To me, the cops and politicians that are against drugs are FAR more scary than any of the drugs they say they are against.
The government will find any excuse for having authoritarian tendencies that it can get away with. Power corrupts!

Old 11-25-2017, 06:14 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post

No, the War on Opiates will not be won by eradication. It will be won by education......and perhaps a better lifestyle where people are not always seeking escape.
This. Instead of the war on drugs which is a failure people need better opportunities and lives especially the minorities who are the ones targeted in this war on drugs.

Old 11-25-2017, 09:52 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,583,782 times
Honestly most people I talk to, online and in person thinks the war on drugs is a complete failure, I have rarely met anyone that thinks its a good thing...so I have to ask, if so many people are against this altogether, why is it still being forced upon us? Dont the people have the power to changes things like this anymore?

It may seem like a dumb question to ask, but seriously when was the last time any of you talked to someone who thought the war on drugs was a huge success and should continue?

Old 11-25-2017, 02:37 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,222,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Honestly most people I talk to, online and in person thinks the war on drugs is a complete failure, I have rarely met anyone that thinks its a good thing...so I have to ask, if so many people are against this altogether, why is it still being forced upon us? Dont the people have the power to changes things like this anymore?

It may seem like a dumb question to ask, but seriously when was the last time any of you talked to someone who thought the war on drugs was a huge success and should continue?
You'd be surprised how many on this forum alone still think the war on drugs is a good thing.

They don't realize the war is over, drugs won.

Old 11-26-2017, 05:35 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,279,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
You'd be surprised how many on this forum alone still think the war on drugs is a good thing.

They don't realize the war is over, drugs won.
This is one issue where the people supporting decriminalization are pretty vocal about it and the people who support the war on drugs are typically more quiet about it, at least in real life.. I'm not talking about internet forums here. There's a large but silent majority I would argue that still believe in the war on drugs.

Both sides have good points.. we can't just legalize everything.. possession of small amounts should be decriminalized, and marijuana should be legalized, but heroin, meth, etc. should not be legalized and dealers or people with large quantities should be imprisoned.

The main reason they want drugs illegal is the money trail... prison industrial complex, civil asset forfeiture, etc. The only reason marijuana is getting a free pass is there's more money to be made legalizing it. The government and people in general are inherently statists.. they want to control what others can and can't do for their own good. Both parties are guilty of this.

Old 11-26-2017, 09:06 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,583,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
The only reason marijuana is getting a free pass is there's more money to be made legalizing it. The government and people in general are inherently statists.. they want to control what others can and can't do for their own good. Both parties are guilty of this.
Im not so sure about that, most areas had a bad painkiller abuse problem not long ago, doctors were writing scripts for them left and right, the pharma companies that made them, were rolling in huge profits, addicted people were willing to pay $100s of dollars for a single pill!!

So there was a HUGE potential to make money there, much more than marijuana, yet Govt stepped in and regulated them to death, now its tough to find any doctor that will write scripts for them, meaning the pharma companies have lost ALOT of profit due to these new regulations.

And really, all that money addicts were spending on pain pills, is now going to heroin, supplied by the cartels, so basically the Govt and pharma industry pushed all their business to the cartels...how much sense does that make? The cartels must have some serious influence on our Govt to set themselves up so nicely and have laws created to ensure this continues for years!!

Old 11-26-2017, 03:44 PM

1,122 posts, read 960,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17thAndK View Post
It's odd that Trump hasn't done more than talk about opioids considering that it's his own base that is statistically most impacted by them.
How do you know they have been "IMPACTED?" Because the media says so? I'm his base - I take an opioid every 72 hours so am I "impacted?" Just asking...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates