Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2018, 09:17 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,038,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Well, you wouldn't have had to be there if you could've paid a doctor to say you had bone spurs

But thanks for killing all those Vietnamese in furtherance of our geopolitical interests. Who cares that the Gulf of Tonkin incident was largely fabricated and your fellow soldiers died and killed for a blatant lie? They got flags and kind words to make it all better

Let's keep pretending that this whole thing is noble so the next generation can die and kill for the same stupid reasons!
If it was in our "geo-political interest" we would have simply went into North Vietnam and fought them as we did the Japanese in WW2. Then just made the whole of Vietnam a colony. You should write fiction novels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2018, 09:29 AM

405 posts, read 259,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post

Well, yeah, when half the country has been actively engaged with the enemy (the US) against the current government, that is what has to happen - and I suspect just about anything in Southeast Asia is more harsh. Same goes for the countless girls and women who had turned to selling their bodies to US servicemen to survive, and the countless new addicts in S. Vietnamese cities following US presence. Those countries have different ways of solving their societal problems.
But, what the hell, the US still has Afghan prisoners in Cuba (how bizarre that the US has a base in anyone else's country against it's will) who were labeled dangerous terrorists for fighting the invaders of THEIR country.

Old 08-14-2018, 09:37 AM

39,380 posts, read 27,772,073 times
Well, in term of Vietnam war, I guess you will never get a unified answer on this.

After a century of French colonialism a division based on religion was established in the middle of the Vietnamese society. When the “truce” if you want to call it that was accomplished in the mid fifties, there was a massive population shift as Catholics left the Communist North.

The U.S. was committed to stopping the spread of Communism, and it was inevitabe that the U.S. would try to stop the takeover of the South by the North Vietnamese. The North Vietnamese received important assistance from Communist Russia and China, but there cannot be any question that the North Vietnamese troops believed that they were fighting against another White People invader represented by America.

One poster mentioned "south Vietnamese thanked him", I can believe that.

I have several friends who said the same thing. Their parents and grandparents hated the communists the most, and they thanked the American troops for liberating them. Do they all feel this way? I don't know.

Nowadays most people detest racism and imperialism above all else. And the American involvement is seen as a remnant of imperialism But that avoids the reality that America had given its word to an ally that it would stand with it.

It is a complicated issue. There were many intelligent and patriotic Vietnamese who gave everything to avoid a Communist takeover,

I would say that the U.S. should have tried for a “neutral” South Vietnam.

The fact is that Vietnam war is such an unpopular war, so some people feel they have to create a scapegoat (the military) to blame.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 08-14-2018 at 09:48 AM..

Old 08-14-2018, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post

It is a complicated issue. There were many intelligent and patriotic Vietnamese who gave everything to avoid a Communist takeover,

How is that different than any politics, anywhere? In the US both parties would do anything to see the complete elimination of the other side so they could rule over the country in a single party dictatorship. The battle is relentless in that direction. The tactics may be different, but that the end result they want.

Old 08-14-2018, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWLC View Post
How is that different than any politics, anywhere? In the US both parties would do anything to see the complete elimination of the other side so they could rule over the country in a single party dictatorship. The battle is relentless in that direction. The tactics may be different, but that the end result they want.
well, I can't answer your question when you only quoted one sentence of my entire post.

I am not really interested in talking about Vietnam and have no interests in turning this thread into a Vietnam war thread. sorry op for going off topic.

Old 08-14-2018, 10:04 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,038,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWLC View Post
Well, yeah, when half the country has been actively engaged with the enemy (the US) against the current government, that is what has to happen - and I suspect just about anything in Southeast Asia is more harsh. Same goes for the countless girls and women who had turned to selling their bodies to US servicemen to survive, and the countless new addicts in S. Vietnamese cities following US presence. Those countries have different ways of solving their societal problems.
But, what the hell, the US still has Afghan prisoners in Cuba (how bizarre that the US has a base in anyone else's country against it's will) who were labeled dangerous terrorists for fighting the invaders of THEIR country.
Current government? which one was that? Are you confusing the civil war in Vietnam with ours? Are you trying to say prostitution was only practiced in Vietnam for the benefit of US soldiers?
To address your unrelated comment about Guantanamo...…..We signed a lease with Cuba for that base...…..and make a payment every year...…….

Old 08-14-2018, 10:05 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,783,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
well, then we really have nothing else to talk about.
Really? The idea that veterans are humans who are responsible for their *choices* is so alien to you that it can't be discussed?

Old 08-14-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Was little Bush's revenge worth all that plus your friend's arm and leg?

I don't believe for a second that Bush had anything to do with it. There is a long standing US policy and nothing and no one can stand in it's way. The US has always looked for or created justification for invasion. The Pentagon doesn't change hands with each administration.

Anything the US does impacts the entire world - forever. I seriously doubt that the real powers that be would give the ability to change world history to a playboy from Arkansas, a silver spoon baby from Crawford or a community organizer from Chicago. War making is beyond their pay grade. They do what they are told, read the speeches that are written for them, sign the papers they are told to.

What I believe is that the US built the largest embassy in the world in Baghdad to oversee the semi-colonizination of the entire middle east, with puppet governments in each country. All the overthrows and Arab Springs orchestrated by the US are/were preparation for that.

Old 08-14-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Really? The idea that veterans are humans who are responsible for their *choices* is so alien to you that it can't be discussed?
It can be discussed, but I don't think i can discuss it with YOU. I don't want to waste my time.

Old 08-14-2018, 10:17 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,783,936 times
Fair enough

I do believe that people are responsible for their *choices* though. I don't feel like I'm really going out on a limb there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates