Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 05:18 PM

765 posts, read 474,114 times

Advertisements

I don't do social media and i just don't do online friendships anywhere. have been burned by bigtime liars and scam artists, so i just don't go there on this or any other site.

that being said, if i did have so called "online friendships" I wouldn't unfriend them, but we sure would have a lively discussion about it.

Look. There is just too much ignorance on this topic. Women do not report sexual assaults for a litany of reasons. I have said it here before, I was raped by my father's brother as a young young child. when i told my mother what happened. she didn't believe me. she went to my dad, and he tried to "beat the truth out of me". i never got help, support counselling. When even parents aren't going to be supportive, how can anyone think total strangers in a very macho dominated system of police/courts be expected to understand and BELIEVE a woman.

it's outrageous we have another Supreme Court Justice who has a record of pretty unreliable judgement when he drinks. Don't tell me maturity has set in and he has overcome his wilding ways..... if he has a problem with alcohol, that is another hidden, shameful thing people are not going to confront, they remain in denial sometimes for a lifetime. We already have one sex offender on the highest court in the land. I'm sorry, I never believed Judge Thomas, and I totally believed Anita Hill.... who was the first woman to come forward and be CRAZY BRAVE.... she was villified, torn apart by the press and societal condemnations. NO WOMAN COMES FORWARD KNOWING SHE WILL GET RIPPED APART AND BE TOTALLY DOUBTED unless she actually went through what she said she went through. Women do not do fake reporting on a national stage. they do not . period.

Old 09-26-2018, 08:59 PM

28,678 posts, read 18,801,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
No, we don't know that. That's what a full investigation by the FBI would tell us.

You didn't get my question, or else you just avoided answering it:

How much of an investigation would be satisfactory to you?

Old 09-26-2018, 09:17 PM

50,839 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
You didn't get my question, or else you just avoided answering it:

How much of an investigation would be satisfactory to you?
What does "how much of an investigation" mean?

A pound? A meter?

I don't know what that means.

If you explain, I'll be happy to answer.

But let's put it this way...the FBI investigation of Anita Hill's accusation took 3 days. Okay. Then again, Congress investigated Hillary Clinton for 2 years and 4 months -- longer than Congressional probes into 9/11, Watergate, the JFK assassination, and Pearl Harbor.

So how shall we measure a real investigation versus pure politics?

Old 09-26-2018, 09:21 PM

988 posts, read 683,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceiligrrl View Post
Women do not do fake reporting on a national stage. they do not . period.
I wish people wouldn't say stuff like this. It just isn't true. There have been many cases of this, such as Duke Lacrosse, Emitt Till, etc. If those weren't "fake reporting on a national stage" cases, I don't know what is. Using your standard, the Duke Lacrosse players would be in jail right now. Were you happy Emmitt Till was lynched? He was guilty, according to your standard. His female accuser couldn't have been lying. Give me a break. Evidence is needed, always. What does the #metoo movement gain by trying to invalidate one of the core principles of our justice system? The word of an accuser is not enough.

Moving on, look into Kavanaugh. Even if the accusations are false, and I don't think they are, they need to be looked into.

Old 09-26-2018, 09:39 PM

50,839 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unwillingphoenician View Post
I wish people wouldn't say stuff like this. It just isn't true. There have been many cases of this, such as Duke Lacrosse, Emitt Till, etc. If those weren't "fake reporting on a national stage" cases, I don't know what is. Using your standard, the Duke Lacrosse players would be in jail right now. Were you happy Emmitt Till was lynched? He was guilty, according to your standard. His female accuser couldn't have been lying. Give me a break. Evidence is needed, always. What does the #metoo movement gain by trying to invalidate one of the core principles of our justice system? The word of an accuser is not enough.

Moving on, look into Kavanaugh. Even if the accusations are false, and I don't think they are, they need to be looked into.
You don't get evidence without a thorough investigation.

Old 09-27-2018, 03:17 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,639,095 times
My GF had a previous friend who accused a guy of rape, in high school, because she was embarrassed that she had sex with him. I know this because she TOLD my GF that, later, and furthermore her behavior after the fact was nothing close to a sexual assault survivor. She literally didn't seem bothered at all by it, was happy-go-lucky, then when she realized she had a one night stand, and people found out about it, she was suddenly raped. Anyone who says that women don't lie about rape because "it's too serious to lie about!" is a total moron. People lie about ANYTHING, they always have, they always will. It happens constantly. It doesn't mean you should ignore or disregard anyone who accuses someone else of wrongdoing, but neither does it mean you should immediately believe it, either. Just like anything in life, you should consider the weight of the evidence.

I personally have no desire to believe anyone, about anything, without actual proof. If there were no witnesses, and someone just says something happened, they never went and got a rape kit, they never reported it to police, and there are no corroborating witnesses, then for all intents and purposes it didn't happen. That may be sad if it really did happen, but this country was founded upon the presumption of innocence. That's what our justice system is all about. I'm not about to believe anyone unless they can provide some real evidence for something having happened, especially if I don't know either person, then I have absolutely no idea who is or isn't telling the truth. Now, that's a different situation if it's your best friend or your girlfriend or whatever and she says right after the fact, hey, this is what happened, this is how it went down, then of course you're going to believe that person.

But if Person A says Person B sexually assaulted them, and I don't know either of them from two random people off the streets, I really have no basis to understand who is telling the truth without some more evidence. It seems unbelievably foolish to me that I should automatically assume the accuser is de facto telling the truth and correct, and throw the accused under the bus when I have nothing else to go on but eyewitness testimony, which is notoriously unreliable.

Old 09-27-2018, 05:46 AM

28,678 posts, read 18,801,179 times
White women falsely accusing black men of rape happens to be a thing, and has been for a couple of centuries in the US. It has gotten men killed even in my memory.

If I'd been accused of rape by a white woman when I was a teen in Oklahoma, everyone would have believed her, and there is a significant chance I wouldn't have seen another week.

In fact, I actually had a gang of angry whites show up in my yard just because those idiots heard a rumor that I liked a particular white girl.

So, no, I don't automatically react to a white women's tears without some back up. White women's tears are literally a death risk.

Old 09-27-2018, 05:59 AM

2,548 posts, read 4,055,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
Because so many assaults go unreported, one has to wonder what the actual statistics are - I have to wonder how many American women there are who by age 25 and above have NOT been groped in some fashion at some point in their lives? Part of the problem is likely that if you count near same-age games of "Doctor", backseat fumbling in high school, etc., the number probably drops to near zero. And if you count non-sexual forms of assault, how many of us (male and female) have been bullied on the playground, roughed up intentionally playing sports, etc.? All of us?

Which goes to support all of the above comments that state not all assaults are created equally. "Copping a feel" on a date at age 15 is a bit different than what happened to Elizabeth Smart, and IMHO, should not disqualify one for being a Supreme Court Justice, especially if it cannot be substantiated beyond what has been done so far. I find it very, very convenient that someone affiliated with higher education (collectively a very liberal group), comes forward with this at the last minute to subvert a nomination by a President that liberals hate worse than a root canal. But even if it did happen, in the exact same set of circumstances as has been reported, it's not enough to offset a lifetime of good work and disqualify Kavanaugh. And before the screams of agony die down, I have two words for the screamers: Bill Clinton. And maybe two others: Ted Kennedy.
If you are describing the Kavanaugh accusation with your words here, I think perhaps you haven't read the allegations. It's not copping a feel. It's dragging a girl into a room, locking the door, holding her down, putting your hand over her mouth so she can't scream, and trying to take off her clothes. It was attempted rape. He was unsuccessful apparently because she was wearing a one-piece bathing suit under her clothes, and because his drunk friend jumped on them and she was able to escape in the ruckus that followed. That is NOT copping a feel.

Old 09-27-2018, 06:16 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,704,598 times
I have mixed thoughts on it.

I was in college 30 some years ago and things were just different then. Classic example, I had a close friend on campus who was being stalked by some man who wasn't even a student. She came to me for safety because she tried going to the police, she tried going to the school and was basically told she was over reacting. I was there, I would see this jerk roll onto campus with his car and roll down the windows and try to propositioned her before I could scare him off. She was a very shy, sweet, conservatively dressed 18-year-old freshman and was scared and no one in authority would help her. Nothing happened they told her. Just boys being boys they would tell her. Finally, her dad came to the campus from halfway across the country and met behind closed doors with the Dean of Students and suddenly campus police banned the man. My friend was still a bit of a prisoner being stuck on campus, but she didn't seem to mind as she was focused on studies anyway.

The point is, 30 some years ago, a woman was very likely to not be listened to or taken seriously. The same with children bringing up priest abuse years later. They were just ignored, not believed, or blames and punished for the abuse that happened to them. People stayed quiet because why make yourself a victim twice? Things were different. By the way, if you were too look up what happened to my friend all those years ago, I don't know that there is any record of it. The police didn't take a report or write anything down. I was there with her along with a couple of other boys to support her claims and they ignored all of us and told her to just stay in her dorm.

But I see the flip side too with false accusations from unscrupulous women being thrown out there. That happens too. And sometimes people misremember things. People are too quick to try someone as guilty in the court of public opinion.

I think it's a good idea to look into any accusation like this. It's important to walk the fine line between sympathy for the victims and allowing the accused to be innocent until proven guilty. I think we will get there in time. Right now, it's a lot of pent up accusations and adjusting to how we as a society handle things. I think if we start listening to victims of abuse and stop blaming them, they will be more able to come forward and you'll see less and less of accusations happening years later.

Old 09-27-2018, 06:24 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,180,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I think you're right about that. What's been sobering about the #metoo movement is how many women can actually say, "this happened to me, too, and I felt scared and alone and ashamed and that no one would believe me." Many men (people, really,) are dismissive of the zeitgeist, but we can only hope that its legacy will change the way we as a society do things.
I am a woman who is not sympathetic to the #METOO movement. Yes, I have also been in situations of unwanted male attention, what woman hasn't been? However, I was always careful to not get in any situations with either men of sketchy character, or men of better character but who were drunk. But I also never accepted dates with men that I had no intention of starting a romance with, just for the sake of free drinks and/or a dinner.

Otherwise, are Christine Blasey Ford's parents still alive? I wonder what their take on this situation with Kavanaugh it? Are they at all upset that as a 15 year old, she went to parties with alcohol involved and no adults at those houses? I know that my parents would have been very upset with me and punished me for doing something so stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates