Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2020, 09:25 AM

19,637 posts, read 12,231,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montezia View Post
UBI is more or less welfare. You get paid to be idle all day. I've known lots of relatively able bodied people on disability, food stamps, subsidized housing grow fat, idle and entitled. It's really not a healthy or natural state of being. So if widespread UBI were in place I feel like we may see more of this mediocre behavior.

UBI would also likely mean that taxes would have to be higher to fund it.
I would rather people like that stay home and collect than muck up the workplace. They can't hold jobs, cause problems at work, slow everything down, and just make for a miserable work environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2020, 10:47 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,043,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I would rather people like that stay home and collect than muck up the workplace. They can't hold jobs, cause problems at work, slow everything down, and just make for a miserable work environment.
Let them collect (mooch) from their parents, siblings, friends, and charity. I do not expect to pay ANYONE to sit on their azz and steal a “universal basic income” from the good productive people who make the world go round.

Old 04-30-2020, 12:11 PM

10,897 posts, read 7,393,957 times
I've think we should all have some skin in the game.

I used to volunteer with an organization to help homeless kids. When we put on event, none of the homeless adults ever helped out. They chowed down and chatted on their iPhones, but didn't help serve or clean up.

at book sales to benefit the school library, senior citizens did all the work; parents would come shop.

What if people who benefit from a program helped to run it?
Habitat for Humanity is a good example; you have to put in time working to get your house.

Collective daycare, where parents put in hours every week.
Schools where parents do more than bakesales.
Insane asylums run by the inmates. O.k., bad example. (;

Some people are too sick or weak to do much, but most people can do something.

Old 04-30-2020, 12:41 PM

289 posts, read 255,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Quit with your stupid straw man arguments. A UBI does not give money to everyone, it guarantees everyone a basic income. If your income exceeds basic, you get nothing.
LARRY CALDWELL LARRY CALDWELL LARRY CALDWELL LARRY CALDWELL LARRY CALDWELL LARRY CALDWELL LARRY CALDWELL LARRY CALDWELL LARRY CALDWELL LARRY CALDWELL LARRY CALDWELL LARRY CALDWELL LARRY CALDWELL LARRY CALDWELL LARRY CALDWELL LARRY CALDWELL LARRY CALDWELL LARRY CALDWELL LARRY CALDWELL LARRY CALDWELL LARRY CALDWELL LARRY CALDWELL LARRY CALDWELL LARRY CALDWELL LARRY CALDWELL LARRY CALDWELL LARRY CALDWELL

Maybe Larry will see this!

Larry, I agree with a lot of the things you have said throughout this thread, BUT, you got this one wrong:

The idea of UBI is that EVERYONE will get it, regardless of their income or wealth status. Seriously, I and everyone else who has been telling you this is not making it up. How you THINK it works makes sense, BUT it ISN'T how it ACTUALLY works.

From my last response to you:

You seem to think "basic" means something it doesn't. But, "universal" does, mean universal.

u·ni·ver·sal
/ˌyo͞onəˈvərsəl/

adjective
of, affecting, or done by all people or things in the world or in a particular group; applicable to all cases.
"universal adult suffrage"

noun
a person or thing having universal effect, currency, or application.

Defining Characteristics
Adapted from Bidadanure, 2019, “The Political Theory of Universal Basic Income”

Periodic
It is a recurrent payment (for example every month), rather than a one-off grant.

Cash payment
It is paid in cash, allowing the recipients to convert their benefits into whatever they may like.

Universal
It is paid to all, and not targeted to a specific population.

Individual
It is paid on an individual basis (versus household-based).

Unconditional
It involves no work requirement or sanctions; it is accessible to those in work and out of work, voluntarily or not.​

Here is just one source: https://basicincome.stanford.edu/about/what-is-ubi/

There are many different sources, and the above is universal in the description of UBI.

Last edited by carlito2002wgn; 04-30-2020 at 12:55 PM..

Old 04-30-2020, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Or farmers don't want to pay an honest enough wage for. You forgot that excuse for American workers.
Nonsense!!! Farmers CAN'T pay higher wages. Go ahead, go and talk to farmers. See if they are just greedy scumbags hoarding their money, or ... OR see if they are struggling to make ends meet. Almost universally, farmers are struggling. There is a lot involved here, and you need to do more research on the subject before you make ignorant comments like you did.

Old 04-30-2020, 12:52 PM

1,525 posts, read 1,184,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
You must be under the false assumption that we're ten years away from this or something. We're not.
Of course not. If anything in my post made you believe that I don't know that we're already there, I apologize. But while we're "already there" in many aspects, there's still much farther to go.

Old 04-30-2020, 12:58 PM

10,897 posts, read 7,393,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlito2002wgn View Post
Nonsense!!! Farmers CAN'T pay higher wages. Go ahead, go and talk to farmers. See if they are just greedy scumbags hoarding their money, or ... OR see if they are struggling to make ends meet. Almost universally, farmers are struggling. There is a lot involved here, and you need to do more research on the subject before you make ignorant comments like you did.
I think there are at least two kinds of farms:
Family run, with narrow profit margins, and
Corporate factory farms that pay low wages to ensure stockholder profits.

Old 04-30-2020, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I think there are at least two kinds of farms:
Family run, with narrow profit margins, and
Corporate factory farms that pay low wages to ensure stockholder profits.
Right, but on the ground, both kinds of farms are being worked by the same types of people - regular farmers. It is the regular farmers that run the farm and are responsible for the daily activities, and things like hiring and payroll.

Old 04-30-2020, 01:45 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,562,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I've think we should all have some skin in the game.

I used to volunteer with an organization to help homeless kids. When we put on event, none of the homeless adults ever helped out. They chowed down and chatted on their iPhones, but didn't help serve or clean up.

at book sales to benefit the school library, senior citizens did all the work; parents would come shop.

What if people who benefit from a program helped to run it?
Habitat for Humanity is a good example; you have to put in time working to get your house.

Collective daycare, where parents put in hours every week.
Schools where parents do more than bakesales.
Insane asylums run by the inmates. O.k., bad example. (;

Some people are too sick or weak to do much, but most people can do something.
Reminds me after the coats for kids and backpack drives....

At the end of the school year, most of the kids just leave their new coats and backpacks at school. The general attitude is why use them another year or pass them along to someone else when they're just going to get new ones again the following year? I don't blame the children for this as kids do learn what they live, but still....

Unfortunately, the entitlement attitude begins early and is disheartening to witness. It's hard to overcome that attitude when it comes from the home and their community at large.

Having some skin in the game helps, but too many get peevish when asked or required to do so.

Old 04-30-2020, 02:12 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,654,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post
You do realize that those robotic/automated machines need to be created and programmed, right? In a future automated world, the needs will change and, as in all times throughout history, society will rise to meet those demands. Why do you think schools are focusing so much more on STEM?

Takes darn few people to program the robots. They arent made to need frequent babysitting. Some writer went on tour of a Ford plant in recent years. His father had been a worker there. He was shocked to see how few workers were needed. The guy giving him the tour told him he should tour some auto factories in Europe that needed far fewer people yet.

You are also ignoring fact that not everybody is mentally capable of doing the high tech stuff. Those old factories, if you could show up on time and put tab A into slot B over and over again, bingo, you could live a middle class lifestyle. Now those folk trying to live on part time McD service job. It aint middle class. And the need for white collar "educated" will be shrinking too. So who are you going to sell all this stuff to? The robots dont buy anything, they are owned slaves that need no time off. The 1% sure isnt going to buy all the stuff produced.

See this is something Henry Ford figured out over a century ago, you need to pay your employees enough to buy the product you are selling. Eliminating labor in your plant means you think you are only one doing it, and workers in other plants will buy your product. However if all those other workers are eliminated through automation..... how smart is automating then? Are humans supposed to just take in each others laundry and eat at each other's hole in wall restaurants?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates