Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2020, 06:43 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,639,758 times

Advertisements

Personally, I am so tired of all this "Civil War looming" talk by the right and the "Revolution!" talk by the left. You got some personalities, Youtubers out there talking about an imminent civil war. You got some bozos (on both sides of the spectrum) that secretly want a civil war to happen so they can enact their violent tendencies or have a reason to be violent. For the right, its to melt some snowflakes, for the left its to bash fascism and get rid of "Nazis and White supremacist".

Where I stand is that if any trouble comes to my front door, my town, my family, my tribe we will be ready to handle that. Otherwise, NONE OF us is ready for a civil war. No matter how many of you either want to see it happen or salivate at the thought of it happening or wanting to partake in it, we're not ready.

Many don't understand the implications of war and what will come with it. Many are "LARPING" now but when things truly amp up, they're not going to want any part of it. Playing the "Heroes Game" comes with consequences. You will have to sacrifice everything, sacrifice all the comforts of what you have now. The very fabric of the life you once lived will not be any longer.

The mental, physical, spiritual toll on your body will be immense. You'll make some choices you're not going to want to make, do things you didn't think you'd ever do.

Monsters can be created out of a civil war scenario, look at the Mexican drug wars. Look at the barbarism many cartels in Mexico do out of revenge. People can and/or will become sadistic from a civil war.

The animosity will loom many years during and after a civil war and for generations. Look at how the relationship with some Chinese, Japanese and Koreans are for example. The scarring will be permanent.

I'm 1000% about self defense and doing what must be done to protect your life, your families life, your property, livelihood. However, some of you on the right are actively looking for trouble.

As as for the extreme left, you guys are just asking for a bullet in your dome. You're picking at people whom are going to lose their cool. You guys are worrying about militias now, well, you'll be praying for the militias that are hardly doing anything now.

Either way, none of are should be fixing for a civil war.

Old 09-16-2020, 07:30 AM

19,807 posts, read 9,367,244 times
I have said often that a U.S. civil war comparable to that of 1861-65 is an impossibility because there are a significant number Republicans/conservatives in blue areas and a significant number of Democrats/liberals in red areas. People would be shooting at their relatives and co-workers. The closest thing to a war going on now is what happened prior to the Revolutionary War of the 1770's -- some of the local citizenry violently protesting against those in control. However, in both cases, the enemy was clearly marked, either by ancestry (British vs. colonists) or by home (North vs. South).

As I have said many times, I do foresee the possibility of the red states or the blue states seceding from the U.S. in about 25-50 years, but if that happens, I think it will be the result of legal proceedings and not violence -- although if the violence continues and the government (state and/or federal) looks the other way, that might serve as a catalyst for some of the red states to secede.

P.S. I also don't see the possibility of a "race war" because the number of blacks who are good citizens obey the law far outnumber those who don't. I am quite sure that most of them, although they might have a great deal of sympathy for the reasons behind the rioting (just as many whites do), have no respect for violent thugs who terrorize innocent people.

Old 09-16-2020, 09:57 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,729,131 times
Set piece battle civil war? I don't think so but civil unrest, domestic terrorism attacks etc??? Yes we are already seeing that.....

Study up on 4th and 5th Generation warfare.....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generations_of_warfare

Fourth generation warfare is defined as conflicts which involve the following elements:

Are complex and long term
Terrorism (tactic)
A non-national or transnational base – highly decentralized
A direct attack on the enemy's core ideals
Highly sophisticated psychological warfare, especially through media manipulation and lawfare
All available pressures are used – political, economic, social and military
Occurs in low intensity conflict, involving actors from all networks
Non-combatants are tactical dilemmas
Lack of hierarchy
Small in size, spread out network of communication and financial support
Use of insurgency and guerrilla tactics

Old 09-16-2020, 01:30 PM

12,043 posts, read 8,425,882 times
We have a Government which was set up to deal with situations like the one we now find ourselves in. Our first efforts at achieving change should be done through legal channels.

But, at least here in Minnesota, the very people who have vowed to protect and defend the Constitution and the citizens have violated that sacred vow. Knowing human nature and acknowledging the fear and lack of trust which has been generated anything is possible at this point.

I saw the negative direction the State was taking over a decade ago but I never thought I would live to see the day when our leaders sat back and allowed massive destruction to occur while making excuses for the law breakers.

Old 09-16-2020, 01:48 PM

36 posts, read 26,968 times
Lodestar: Same general area as you...... small town near me that ok'd the purchase of riot gear in anticipation on unrest due to the upcoming election and msp officer court hearings. Never thought it was possible either.

On track with the thread..... we can only hope for the best, prepare for the worst (as the saying goes)

Old 09-16-2020, 02:06 PM

13,656 posts, read 9,717,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
Many don't understand the implications of war and what will come with it. Many are "LARPING" now but when things truly amp up, they're not going to want any part of it. Playing the "Heroes Game" comes with consequences. You will have to sacrifice everything, sacrifice all the comforts of what you have now. The very fabric of the life you once lived will not be any longer.

The mental, physical, spiritual toll on your body will be immense. You'll make some choices you're not going to want to make, do things you didn't think you'd ever do.
You're of course quite right, in that the vast majority of people utterly fail to grasp the dislocations and horrors inherent in their shrill advocacy... and it's only too easy to be "tough" in abstract circumstances, where nothing real is at stake. Thus, nothing like the worst-case scenario - feared by many, advocated by some - has any likelihood.

However, we are already in circumstances that take "mental, physical [and] spiritual toll": the national response to the 'rona virus. Government(s), Left or Right, already keep us in seige-mentality, and have been doing so, for 6 months. In a sense, the "war" was already lost, before it was even fought. And just like in so many real wars, there have been no winners.

Old 09-16-2020, 02:37 PM

24,502 posts, read 17,239,538 times
We are really too mixed up now to be a truly Red V Blue civil war. Where would the battle lines be drawn? I live in Loony Liberal Land and I don't want to move to a solid Red state.

I'm with the OP I don't want a war but if it comes knocking on my door I won't have an option but to protect myself, family and property.

My fear is that Biden will win and the Demos will start their "march to the sea" and create a situation that will demand good Americans to stand up and defend the institutions and heritage of the land they love. This will be more of a Revolution than than a Civil War.

The big question of course is if the military will respect their vows or go to war for the Lefty extremists?

And here we thought there was A LOT riding on the 2016 election.

Old 09-16-2020, 04:52 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
We are really too mixed up now to be a truly Red V Blue civil war. Where would the battle lines be drawn?
Pennsylvania Avenue. They have already started fortifying the White House.

Old 09-16-2020, 05:13 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,876,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
We are really too mixed up now to be a truly Red V Blue civil war. Where would the battle lines be drawn? I live in Loony Liberal Land and I don't want to move to a solid Red state.

I'm with the OP I don't want a war but if it comes knocking on my door I won't have an option but to protect myself, family and property.

My fear is that Biden will win and the Demos will start their "march to the sea" and create a situation that will demand good Americans to stand up and defend the institutions and heritage of the land they love. This will be more of a Revolution than than a Civil War.

The big question of course is if the military will respect their vows or go to war for the Lefty extremists?

And here we thought there was A LOT riding on the 2016 election.
There are Democrats who believe just as Republicans do that they are standing up and defending "the institutions and heritage of the land they love."

Old 09-16-2020, 07:21 PM

7,134 posts, read 4,540,768 times
I really don’t see now as much different than the 60’s. Social change is brewing and people are protesting. I think talk of a civil war is silly. When Trump loses I fully expect him to try and incite his followers to riot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates