Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2020, 08:12 PM

6,701 posts, read 5,928,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I really don’t see now as much different than the 60’s. Social change is brewing and people are protesting. I think talk of a civil war is silly. When Trump loses I fully expect him to try and incite his followers to riot.
Do you remember how the 1960s ended? Richard Nixon beat Hubert Humphrey.

What makes you think now is any different? People are exhausted by the leftist activism of the last few years and are craving law-and-order. That is why Trump (and many other Republicans) will win this November.

The talk of civil war is not silly at all. It's a real and present danger that we would be foolish to ignore. There are extreme right wing groups that are well armed, well trained, and could cause a lot of trouble if they chose, though up until now they've been largely sitting, quietly, watching and observing but not interfering.

There are left wing groups that are out in the streets burning down buildings as we speak. This is not an abstract concept; it's real. Look at the footage from Minneapolis, Portland, Seattle, Atlanta, Chicago, D.C., Baltimore... parts of them are like Third World hellholes.

Part of the reason is that the law-and-order advocates, the people with substantial property and a stake in the system, are not in the cities anymore; they're in the suburban towns. And they're all buying guns to defend themselves against marauders from the cities who are fanning out, looking for easy prey.

No, I would argue that we're already in a low-level civil war, just not one involving the majority of the population, yet. If civil authority collapses as it is near to doing in places like Portland and Minneapolis, then we may see larger involvement and more neighborhood militias forming in self-defense.

Appeasement has backfired in these places. The only real solution is a ruthless crackdown. It gets the radicals off the street and the rest of them go back to dancing and chanting, too timid to engage in violence.

Old 09-16-2020, 09:27 PM

4,190 posts, read 2,505,207 times
People throw the term around like it was nothing. This past week, I have been turning over part of a field that has been relatively undisturbed for over 100 years; its been mostly pasture. I had to warn the young man helping that if he hit anything he had to stop. We still find ordinance in VA left over from the last civil war. Just last year, in a back yard in Petersburg, unexplored ordnance was found; the last casualty of the civil war was in Chesterfield VA in 2008; Samuel White was a collector and the ordnance he had found exploded destroying his garage and him.

Old 09-17-2020, 12:10 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,676,974 times
Insurrection still carries the death penalty. That should cool off the loudmouths and make them think twice before getting violent.

Old 09-17-2020, 02:41 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,519,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Insurrection still carries the death penalty. That should cool off the loudmouths and make them think twice before getting violent.
Well the British tried that tactic to keep the colonists in line. Insurrection and sedition. Didn’t work out so well. Way I see it is anything is possible. McWeigh blew up a federal building with little help. I guarantee you that Homeland security keeps tabs on all these groups. From the radical to the three stooges.. In Romania when it was communist...a evolution was started with the arrest of a priest who was speaking against the regime and the dictator was overthrown.
Castro overthrew Batista....

Old 09-17-2020, 04:54 AM

705 posts, read 505,478 times
I think there is a sort of civil war going on. People of means are segregating themselves to like minded areas. You have this red blue states thing and if people can move, they move. The United States is in a form of “Balkanization”. People are not “united”, they are separating. Unfortunately, I don’t think the President is helping, he seems to encourage it. If it continues, it will not end well. And yes, I do understand what the OP is trying to say.

Old 09-17-2020, 05:05 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,801,283 times
We have way more in common than what divides us. The media is complicit in this divisiveness.

Old 09-17-2020, 06:35 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,637,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I have said often that a U.S. civil war comparable to that of 1861-65 is an impossibility because there are a significant number Republicans/conservatives in blue areas and a significant number of Democrats/liberals in red areas. People would be shooting at their relatives and co-workers. The closest thing to a war going on now is what happened prior to the Revolutionary War of the 1770's -- some of the local citizenry violently protesting against those in control. However, in both cases, the enemy was clearly marked, either by ancestry (British vs. colonists) or by home (North vs. South).

As I have said many times, I do foresee the possibility of the red states or the blue states seceding from the U.S. in about 25-50 years, but if that happens, I think it will be the result of legal proceedings and not violence -- although if the violence continues and the government (state and/or federal) looks the other way, that might serve as a catalyst for some of the red states to secede.

P.S. I also don't see the possibility of a "race war" because the number of blacks who are good citizens obey the law far outnumber those who don't. I am quite sure that most of them, although they might have a great deal of sympathy for the reasons behind the rioting (just as many whites do), have no respect for violent thugs who terrorize innocent people.
Quote:
I also don't see the possibility of a "race war" because the number of blacks who are good citizens obey the law far outnumber those who don't.
I see a race war very, very unlikely. The U.S. and most of the world is way too diverse, more diverse than ever. You'll definitely have those who will try their hardest to do so but I highly doubt that a few blown race war would take place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Set piece battle civil war? I don't think so but civil unrest, domestic terrorism attacks etc??? Yes we are already seeing that.....

Study up on 4th and 5th Generation warfare.....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generations_of_warfare

Fourth generation warfare is defined as conflicts which involve the following elements:

Are complex and long term
Terrorism (tactic)
A non-national or transnational base – highly decentralized
A direct attack on the enemy's core ideals
Highly sophisticated psychological warfare, especially through media manipulation and lawfare
All available pressures are used – political, economic, social and military
Occurs in low intensity conflict, involving actors from all networks
Non-combatants are tactical dilemmas
Lack of hierarchy
Small in size, spread out network of communication and financial support
Use of insurgency and guerrilla tactics
Quote:
I don't think so but civil unrest, domestic terrorism attacks etc??? Yes we are already seeing that.....
Yeah, I definitely expect violence and civil unrest to amp up after the election but I don't see a full out war. At least not yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
We are really too mixed up now to be a truly Red V Blue civil war. Where would the battle lines be drawn? I live in Loony Liberal Land and I don't want to move to a solid Red state.

I'm with the OP I don't want a war but if it comes knocking on my door I won't have an option but to protect myself, family and property.

My fear is that Biden will win and the Demos will start their "march to the sea" and create a situation that will demand good Americans to stand up and defend the institutions and heritage of the land they love. This will be more of a Revolution than than a Civil War.

The big question of course is if the military will respect their vows or go to war for the Lefty extremists?

And here we thought there was A LOT riding on the 2016 election.

Quote:
My fear is that Biden will win and the Demos will start their "march to the sea" and create a situation that will demand good Americans to stand up and defend the institutions and heritage of the land they love. This will be more of a Revolution than than a Civil War.
If Biden, I MEAN, Kamala Harris wins, we can fully expect even more insurrection. That's my biggest worry. She's already been in full support of the rioting and looting. So we can expect much more to go on with impunity. Which is whats scary. A Kamala Harris win is very bad for this country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I really don’t see now as much different than the 60’s. Social change is brewing and people are protesting. I think talk of a civil war is silly. When Trump loses I fully expect him to try and incite his followers to riot.
What world are you living in? Because ALL and I do mean ALL the rioting right now is completely from the left.

I would expect people on the right to be much more ready and even more active in defending themselves, taking to the streets in protest if anything. Rioting? Looting? Being savage animals? The far left already has that on lock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
We have way more in common than what divides us. The media is complicit in this divisiveness.
Absolutely, this is very true.

Old 09-17-2020, 07:14 AM

12,107 posts, read 23,271,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
I'd say that they are a driving factor.

Old 09-17-2020, 07:15 AM

24,476 posts, read 17,215,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
There are Democrats who believe just as Republicans do that they are standing up and defending "the institutions and heritage of the land they love."

I know and I just don't get it. I have friends that are die hard Democrats and the way they think and process information is beyond me. I view the Demoncrats as a danger to the future of America but they see the progressive platform as the new wave for an incredible future.

I just don't get it.

Old 09-17-2020, 07:30 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,873,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I know and I just don't get it. I have friends that are die hard Democrats and the way they think and process information is beyond me. I view the Demoncrats as a danger to the future of America but they see the progressive platform as the new wave for an incredible future.

I just don't get it.
That's the crux of the problem. Not the fact that we have a two-party system, but that each views the other as Satan incarnate. Whereas we are all Americans and we all want pretty much the same thing: Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates