Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2020, 03:25 PM

166 posts, read 91,264 times

Advertisements

I really can’t see any more of my pay check given to the government. Do you see how the government runs things already!?! I certainly don’t want my healthcare ran by them.

Who is paying for this anyways? Doesn’t Canada have insanely long wait times to see doctors?

Old 09-28-2020, 03:34 PM

166 posts, read 91,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
There's a silent, non-violent civil war going, it's been going on for some time now, with polarization. It's also happening in other countries in the world, notably Poland.

An imaginary wall has been created, you stay on your side of the wall, I'll stay on mine.

I've lost a number of relatives and long-standing friends over the last 3-4 years and let them stay on their side of the wall, I want nothing to do with them. In fact, ever again!

Even in my 55+ community, there's a notable division. I told one of my neighbors of whom her other neighbor supported and? I'll never talk to her again! Up goes the wall.

Another poster suggest the possibility of secessions and I think that's the best idea out there today. CA is the same size as Germany, which stands alone, and TX is much bigger than France, so why are we keeping 50 states together when it not necessary.

If you're talking about a physical civil war, this would prevent that. The Blue West Coast states I all but view as foreign countries, and I'm sure others feel the same way, so let's them unite and call the country Pacifica.
I personally try and distant myself from people who aren’t on the same page politically as myself.

Is it wrong?

Old 09-28-2020, 03:46 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old96 View Post
I really can’t see any more of my pay check given to the government. Do you see how the government runs things already!?! I certainly don’t want my healthcare ran by them.

Who is paying for this anyways? Doesn’t Canada have insanely long wait times to see doctors?
No. Years ago, I took my family on a trip to the Maritime Provinces of Canada. My son became ill with stomach problems in the province of New Brunswick. I took him to a clinic and the doctor there was concerned enough to admit him to the local hospital. All this took place in an hour or two. There was no waiting for diagnostic tests including a CT scan of his abdomen. After three days, his problems were resolved and he was discharged from the hospital. Since I was an American I had to pay the bill in full for the doctor and the hospital. Total cost to me for his three full days of hospitalization? About $3,500.00. In America, that would have been $30,000.00.

Canadian healthcare is not perfect, but I sure get tired of "brilliant Americans" who are just sure it is "second rate" or "untrustworthy". Its on par with what we get in America, but cheaper.

Old 09-28-2020, 04:15 PM

2,194 posts, read 1,138,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishcopper View Post

Harris is on the record for stating that she'd support abolishing the electoral college. As are Elizabeth Warren, Beto O'Rourke, Bernie Sanders and Pete Buttigieg.
As were over two-thirds of all Americans, regardless of party affiliation, throughout almost the entirety of the 20th Century.

Old 09-28-2020, 04:18 PM

4,173 posts, read 2,569,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
As were over two-thirds of all Americans, regardless of party affiliation, throughout almost the entirety of the 20th Century.
If you have a source for that statement please post it.

Old 09-28-2020, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
If you have a source for that statement please post it.
https://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politi...oes-it-prevail

https://news.gallup.com/poll/320744/...l-college.aspx

https://www.nationalpopularvote.com/polls

Old 09-28-2020, 05:09 PM

4,173 posts, read 2,569,029 times
This is more divided along party lines. Doing away with the electoral college would give the power to the mostly democrat run cities over the conservative rural areas. And that is what the electoral college prevents. And as a Constitutional Patriot preventing that is a good thing.

https://thehill.com/hilltv/what-amer...democrats-want

https://thehill.com/hilltv/what-amer...ctoral-college

https://www.nationalaffairs.com/publ...ctoral-college

https://electoralvotemap.com/5-reaws...toral-college/

Old 09-28-2020, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
This is more divided along party lines. Doing away with the electoral college would give the power to the mostly democrat run cities over the conservative rural areas. And that is what the electoral college prevents. And as a Constitutional Patriot preventing that is a good thing.

https://thehill.com/hilltv/what-amer...democrats-want

https://thehill.com/hilltv/what-amer...ctoral-college

https://www.nationalaffairs.com/publ...ctoral-college

https://electoralvotemap.com/5-reaws...toral-college/
First: [mod edit: Don't even post abbreviated profanity on this forum.] is a "Constitutional Patriot?"

Second: But that's the problem. You asked for links proving my assertion and I did. Personally, I put a lot more stock in how the vast majority of Americans, regardless of party, felt about the EC from the late 1940s through early 2016 than I do about how things have shaped up in just four years. All the links you posted just show how things have changed relatively recently. But we know that. And that's my point. Most of these people now defending the EC weren't doing so in 1950, or 1970, or 1990, or even in 2001. It's only now.

I know this because I've personally felt pretty strongly about EC abolition for quite a while. I can remember talking about it in the '90s. Lot's of people agreed, lot's of people didn't have strong feelings one way or another. There were a few people who wanted to preserve simply based on tradition, but there was certainly no, "But I don't want those city folks tellin' us rural people what to do" arguments being made. This just seems like a way for justification to me. And this was also during my staunchly conservative, card-carrying Republican days, so it wasn't like I was just insulating myself with like-minded fellows.

Last edited by Rachel NewYork; 09-28-2020 at 06:15 PM..

Old 09-28-2020, 07:00 PM

6,701 posts, read 5,930,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
No. Years ago, I took my family on a trip to the Maritime Provinces of Canada. My son became ill with stomach problems in the province of New Brunswick. I took him to a clinic and the doctor there was concerned enough to admit him to the local hospital. All this took place in an hour or two. There was no waiting for diagnostic tests including a CT scan of his abdomen. After three days, his problems were resolved and he was discharged from the hospital. Since I was an American I had to pay the bill in full for the doctor and the hospital. Total cost to me for his three full days of hospitalization? About $3,500.00. In America, that would have been $30,000.00.

Canadian healthcare is not perfect, but I sure get tired of "brilliant Americans" who are just sure it is "second rate" or "untrustworthy". Its on par with what we get in America, but cheaper.
Canadian healthcare is affordable because of 30-40% provincial and national taxes on everything. Also, they rely on U.S. to be the "healthcare locomotive" that they can benefit from American medical inventions and innovation. Most medical innovation by the way happens in the U.S.

Also, for years the Canadians have come into the U.S. to get timely medical care, despite the higher cost. If you have an elective or non-critical surgery, you can wait weeks if not months in Canada, whereas in the U.S. the wait is far shorter (assuming you're not super picky about which surgeon, etc.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
Regarding Electoral College: these polls are mostly meaningless, because most people don't even know what the EC is. Most people probably couldn't tell you what the First Amendment is. Nor could they tell you where and when the Declaration of Independence was signed, nor who signed it (even just the top 2-3 names). Probably 50% of Americans would struggle to name the first President.

Now suppose Hillary had won the EC but lost the popular vote in 2016. Would those same 2/3 of people polled still say "Oh yes the EC is terrible and we must abolish it!" I HIGHLY DOUBT IT.

Cheers,
Blister

Old 09-29-2020, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Canadian healthcare is affordable because of 30-40% provincial and national taxes on everything. Also, they rely on U.S. to be the "healthcare locomotive" that they can benefit from American medical inventions and innovation. Most medical innovation by the way happens in the U.S.
Okay, take what you pay in all taxes: federal, state, property, sales tax, etc. Now add in all healthcare premiums, deductibles, co-pays, etc. (If you had student loans, don't forget to throw those in too.) I'm going to go ahead and bet that that number is higher than 40% of your income. I know it is for me.

Quote:
Also, for years the Canadians have come into the U.S. to get timely medical care, despite the higher cost. If you have an elective or non-critical surgery, you can wait weeks if not months in Canada, whereas in the U.S. the wait is far shorter (assuming you're not super picky about which surgeon, etc.).
As a resource with obvious limitations on the supply side (time, number of providers, etc.), it's not possible to have a perfect healthcare system. Now in nations like Canada where there is more demand due to the affordability, those limitations do force prioritization of more critical issues. In the U.S., we've simply decided to deal with it by reducing demand through price constraints.

Additionally, that waiting forever for elective surgeries is a bit overblown due to resource issues. Yes, if you live in the middle of nowhere in Saskatchewan that is true. It's not nearly so true if you live in suburban Toronto simply due to the much larger number of facilities and providers.

As for the part about Canada leaching off the U.S. system of innovation, it works both ways. They also lose a lot of their medical providers, especially the foreign-born, due to the fact that they can receive cheap training in Canada and then move to the U.S. to make more money.

Quote:
Regarding Electoral College: these polls are mostly meaningless, because most people don't even know what the EC is. Most people probably couldn't tell you what the First Amendment is. Nor could they tell you where and when the Declaration of Independence was signed, nor who signed it (even just the top 2-3 names). Probably 50% of Americans would struggle to name the first President.

Now suppose Hillary had won the EC but lost the popular vote in 2016. Would those same 2/3 of people polled still say "Oh yes the EC is terrible and we must abolish it!" I HIGHLY DOUBT IT.

Cheers,
Blister
Meh. I'd argue that Gallup began those polls in the late-1940s when I'd venture to say Americans were far more knowledgeable on the subject and were demonstrably more politically engaged. But, frankly, even if that isn't the case, I don't think it really matters. Sure, some/many many not exactly understand how the EC works (although I'd certainly argue that that is definitively not a point in the EC's favor), but they do understand that the EC is not "one-person-one-vote."

As to the last part, maybe/maybe not. It seems in this polarized environment that so many are willing to sacrifice their beliefs and standards just to see their side "win." Personally, I believe in standing by convictions, even if that may mean your preferred viewpoint loses repeatedly, but I realize I may be in an increasing minority with that.

I will say that if your scenario came to pass that it would have meant that in 16 years (5 elections) each party would have been bitten by the EC once a piece, so it possibly could have created a groundswell of bipartisan opposition to the EC, but, who knows? The interesting thing, though, is that the 2000 election did cause a slight, temporary decrease in Republican support for the EC (although not huge). It's only in the wake of the 2016 election that the EC, like nearly everything else in America, has become a partisan issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates