Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2020, 07:09 PM

6,703 posts, read 5,930,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
"If it bleeds, it leads." Don't believe what you see on the evening news. The whole protests in Portland are limited to a 2 block by 4 block area of downtown, and only after business hours. If you are actually there, you would be hard put to imagine anything is happening, though the gas is stinky for a while. It's silly to think it's a national issue.

The fires are much more serious, and got everyone's attention around here.
You do know people have died there? Buildings have burned down, and many stores and offices have had their windows and doors busted down? And aggressive groups starting to fan out to residential neighborhoods?

Portland is undergoing anarchy right now, and no end in sight.

Old 09-22-2020, 09:43 PM

6,100 posts, read 3,338,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
One thing for sure, the northeast has put up with as much from the Trump cult as they can stand. The northeast is strongly in favor of national health care and it started in Massachusetts. The northeast is divided as to illegal immigration but many wish the government would crack down on it.

For the most part, the northeast couldn't care less about guns and we wouldn't allow the amount of violence that's been happening in the PNW. Most people here think that California is much too lenient with allowing people to set up tents and sleep on the streets, thus depriving law abiding citizens of the right to use those streets.

People here are furious. Ironically, this is where the idea of America got its start and the first shot of the Revolutionary War was here. We haven't forgotten and we hold our history and heritage in high regard.

We didn't have slaves (just for a little while) and we were opposed to the idea of slavery when the time came to decide what to do about it. We are an independent minded corner of the country and would gladly be absorbed by Canada it if came to the choice between giving up what we believe in or becoming followers of a Trump cult type of theocracy to which we do not subscribe. We fought for separation of church and state and we haven't forgotten that. We realize that if people are to live in society there is a need for laws and some number of regulations and there's a need and an obligation to help others. That's the price you pay to be part of a great country.

Like most here, I don't know how it will happen but if a new government seeks to further divide us as a country and to ignore the deep seated values of various cultural areas like New England, I don't see us staying together.
I’ve never understood why healthcare should be nationalized and free. If that is the case, I want someone to pay my grocery bill and mortgage too. Throw in free college, free internet, free phones and iPads too. Oh yea, I need a monthly UBI as well.

In return for all that free stuff, I promise to show up at my place of business and do a mediocre job. Or not, I might not even show up to work since I can live fine without employment.

Old 09-22-2020, 10:10 PM

30,148 posts, read 11,783,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
You do know people have died there? Buildings have burned down, and many stores and offices have had their windows and doors busted down? And aggressive groups starting to fan out to residential neighborhoods?

Portland is undergoing anarchy right now, and no end in sight.
Come on. I know Portland. Lived there for several years. Like the other poster said. Its in a small area after hours. Trumpers are desperate to make it more than it is for political purposes.

That being said riots should not be tolerated. Once Biden wins in November the riots will go away quickly. If Trump wins they will go on for 4 years. You have to decide if 2 months or 4 months of riots is better?

Old 09-23-2020, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Come on. I know Portland. Lived there for several years. Like the other poster said. Its in a small area after hours. Trumpers are desperate to make it more than it is for political purposes.

That being said riots should not be tolerated. Once Biden wins in November the riots will go away quickly. If Trump wins they will go on for 4 years. You have to decide if 2 months or 4 months of riots is better?
"small area", huh?

This video was made on June 1. Since then, about 80 more nights of rioting.

There were 63 shootings in Portland just in the month of July (the same month that the City Council disbanded the firearms investigative unit of the PPD).

I mean, you can believe what you want, but the evidence is voluminous that unrest is huge in several large cities.

Does this mean civil war? Probably not. The majority of the population does not seem inclined to take up arms against each other. This is a rather specific small group that is extremely skillful at inciting mobs to violence and turning them against the police and other authorities.

I suspect that as the antifa and other organizers get picked up for various crimes, as is finally starting to happen, and as the economy recovers from the virus shutdowns, the violence will subside, and outward calm will be largely restored.

That said, the election looms, with potential violence-inducing emotions rising to a fever pitch. But you can tell that people are starting to get tired of 2020 and just wish it were over and life back to normal. As life indeed returns to normal, the notions of civil war will fade.

Old 09-23-2020, 04:48 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
Quote:
"small area", huh?

This video was made on June 1. Since then, about 80 more nights of rioting.

There were 63 shootings in Portland just in the month of July (the same month that the City Council disbanded the firearms investigative unit of the PPD).

I mean, you can believe what you want, but the evidence is voluminous that unrest is huge in several large cities.

Does this mean civil war? Probably not. The majority of the population does not seem inclined to take up arms against each other. This is a rather specific small group that is extremely skillful at inciting mobs to violence and turning them against the police and other authorities.

I suspect that as the antifa and other organizers get picked up for various crimes, as is finally starting to happen, and as the economy recovers from the virus shutdowns, the violence will subside, and outward calm will be largely restored.

That said, the election looms, with potential violence-inducing emotions rising to a fever pitch. But you can tell that people are starting to get tired of 2020 and just wish it were over and life back to normal. As life indeed returns to normal, the notions of civil war will fade.
Goes to show that if you shoot protesting citizens in the face with tear gas and rubber bullets, beat them with clubs, and stuff them into vans, they won't lay down. I have to admit, Americans still have the spirit that led us to resist the tyranny of the British.

Old 09-23-2020, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Goes to show that if you shoot protesting citizens in the face with tear gas and rubber bullets, beat them with clubs, and stuff them into vans, they won't lay down. I have to admit, Americans still have the spirit that led us to resist the tyranny of the British.
With all respect, these aren't protesters; they're violent rioters

And they do lay down. There are videos of some of these people literally falling to the ground and crying when the cops arrest them.

They are not Nathan Hale "I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country."

Old 09-24-2020, 10:26 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
Quote:
With all respect, these aren't protesters; they're violent rioters
I agree they are not protestors, they are a by-product of protestors met with violent state force clamping down on protests.

Not to worry. Trump has been talking about making protesting a crime.

Old 09-24-2020, 08:35 PM

6,793 posts, read 4,236,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post

So basically the public is just supposed to give the rioters what they want and then they'll stop rioting? Interesting logic.

Old 09-25-2020, 08:41 AM

30,148 posts, read 11,783,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
So basically the public is just supposed to give the rioters what they want and then they'll stop rioting? Interesting logic.

No I am saying Trump ads fuel to the fire. He is part of the problem as to why there are protests. Yet he claims to have the solution.

Old 09-26-2020, 06:49 AM

2,227 posts, read 1,402,894 times
It didn’t have to be this way.
Trump divided this nation. He pitted rival groups against each other using their fears. That’s why we have problems. Otherwise, we would have a common identity, just with different views. The US people are not reality show participants and we are growing sick of it.
Let’s go back to the America we had from the 1980-2010. Back when people could agree with each other on the common theme of being American.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates