Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2020, 05:58 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,873,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Okay you don't like Epoch Times. A lot of other people do like it.
It's fear-mongering alarmists and conspiracy theorists who spread disinformation that I don't like. As for "a lot of other people" who do like Epoch Times... Well a lot of other people like Alex Jones, as well. 'Nuff said.

Quote:
What about all the other things I mentioned?
Nice research. I'll let you know what I think when I've finished reading about the legislation in all four links that you've posted.

Right now, the start of 2021 approaches, and I've got more entertaining things to do.

Last edited by Rachel NewYork; 12-31-2020 at 06:17 PM..

Old 01-01-2021, 07:48 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
I am leaning against easy access to gender re-assignment.

Last month, I spent a week with a trans woman who was my manager about 30 years ago. Since then, he was married twice and with two sons with each wife. Four years ago at the age of 51, he transitioned to being a woman. We were never actually friends when I worked with him, but with FB, a bunch of us hotel people reconnected. Three years ago, I needed help working a wedding. It was on Fathers Day and the event thrown together with a month's notice. I reached out to my former banquet manager to be one of my servers. She was an okay server, but was very flamboyant in how she moved and styled herself. Blue eye liners, fingernail polish, flashy earrings and a lot of bracelets. The day was so busy, that luckily the client didn't have time to notice this one server with too much flair. So fast forward to three weeks ago.

I got a message from her through FB asking if she could stay with me for a couple of days. I said sure. Well what happened was I had a week of very little sleep because she wanted to talk and talk and talk. And I was worried about her, so I listened and gave advice. And then through FB, I got a message from her first ex-wife and ended up having a long conversation with hi oldest son. Long story short, my manager is having a severe mental crisis and she knows it. She has PTSD triggered by a couple of deaths of people she knew in her neighborhood from old age). She is go through therapy to deal with this, and talks a lot about having PTSD and how she is still "processing", she is on meds and has a medical marijuana card, and she also has the mannerisms and thought patterns of a 12-year old girl. She makes videos of herself singing to rock music. She wearing prescription eyeglasses that are flared and with rhinestones. She is also on a mission to declare her undying love for one of her high school classmates, someone that she thinks that they "almost had a moment together" back in school.

So fast forward to now, this 55 year old trans woman who thinks and acts like a teenager crushing on David Cassidy, has left my house and driven to her former hometown to declare her undying love for a high school friend, a man that she thinks that they once had an "almost moment" with when they were in school together.

Anyway, I just don't understand how my former manager ended up getting a sex-change procedure, when he is clearly so mentally unbalanced. And I worry that if his doctors and therapists ever fix his PTSD or at least get him on the right meds, will my manager then have regrets for losing his penis?

And is having a sex change procedure the right solution for a man who might be unwilling to be a bi-sexual or homosexual? What if his high school friend is gay, and might have been willing to explore a romance now, but certainly wouldn't be attracted to a mentally unbalanced trans woman.

IMO his doctors should be sued.

Old 01-01-2021, 08:27 AM

8,270 posts, read 8,650,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Not only has CTA made their report publicly available, I even posted a link to it in my previous post, where you will find that quote which Epoch Times selected to misrepresent what was stated in the report.

btw, Epoch Times is about as reliable a nooze source as Alex Jones. (I also included a link to the Wikipedia article on Epoch Times in my previous post).
I agree that Epoch Times is kind of out there but Wikipedia should never be used as a source.

Old 01-01-2021, 08:37 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,873,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
I agree that Epoch Times is kind of out there but Wikipedia should never be used as a source.
Wikipedia is pretty reliable as a continually updating, online encyclopedia which references all its own source material in the footnotes section that can be found at the end of every article. One can also click on the "View History" tab at the top of every Wiki article to examine previous versions of the article, any disputes involving material posted, and any editorial changes to the article. Wikipedia is merely a starting point, from which one can further explore a topic. While Wikipedia should never be used a primary source for a college thesis, it is otherwise fine for directional reference use on the I-net.

Old 01-01-2021, 01:32 PM

6,701 posts, read 5,930,570 times
Quote:
Wikipedia is pretty reliable as a continually updating, online encyclopedia which references all its own source material in the footnotes section that can be found at the end of every article. One can also click on the "View History" tab at the top of every Wiki article to examine previous versions of the article, any disputes involving material posted, and any editorial changes to the article. Wikipedia is merely a starting point, from which one can further explore a topic. While Wikipedia should never be used a primary source for a college thesis, it is otherwise fine for directional reference use on the I-net.
I hadn't noticed the View History feature; thanks & will try it. I do find Wikipedia to be a combination of excellent, authoritative information and politically biased, depending on the topic. I believe they tainted their reputation by taking down or heavily editing socio-political content that went against the biases of the group in charge; others may say, they removed misinformation. Tomato, tomAHto. I say, put all the information out there and teach people the analytical tools to sift fact from fiction. Don't curate it for us.

Old 01-01-2021, 02:52 PM

9,447 posts, read 5,208,974 times
Quote:
There are many unanswered questions surrounding gender alteration.

It's expensive-- who should pay for it? Should health insurers be required to cover it?

Should combat regiments be required to accept trans enlistees?

Should high school girl athletes be forced to compete with male-to-female TG's?

Should mis-gendering be a crime? In other words, if you use the wrong pronoun, can the TG sue you? Get you fired? Get you fined by the local Human Rights Commission?

Society should be talking about these issues and come up with solutions, compromises, remedies that are workable and avoid tearing our country apart.
In order:

The person wanting reassignment should pay for it. No, health insurance should not be required to cover it since it is not a 'required' medical procedure.

I don't believe it's in the best interests of combat regiments to accept transgender enlistees.

I don't believe biological males who has trans'ed over to female should play sports with biological females.

NO, misgendering should not be a crime! Are you serious? No on all these questions.

How is this 'tearing the country apart?' Most people that I know feel the way I do.

Old 01-01-2021, 04:46 PM

6,701 posts, read 5,930,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
In order:

The person wanting reassignment should pay for it. No, health insurance should not be required to cover it since it is not a 'required' medical procedure.

I don't believe it's in the best interests of combat regiments to accept transgender enlistees.

I don't believe biological males who has trans'ed over to female should play sports with biological females.

NO, misgendering should not be a crime! Are you serious? No on all these questions.

How is this 'tearing the country apart?' Most people that I know feel the way I do.
I mention these questions because they are becoming/already are law in some places, notably California.

Old 01-02-2021, 09:03 AM

2,289 posts, read 1,567,115 times
There may be a vote in Congress next week........

Quote:
"He" or "she" would become "Member," "Delegate" or "Resident Commissioner." "Father" and "mother" would become "parent," while "brother" and "sister" would be "sibling."
Members will consider the package next week.

https://www.axios.com/congress-gende...sam&stream=top

Old 01-02-2021, 05:27 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
Quote:
This. You should not cite it as a source for serious research, but it is fine for general acquisition of knowledge. Plus, it gives primary source info at the end of its articles.

I look things up in Wikipedia often. It is an amazing resource.

Old 01-03-2021, 05:35 AM

9,447 posts, read 5,208,974 times
Quote:
I mention these questions because they are becoming/already are law in some places, notably California.
....which is in part why I left CA nearly 20 years ago....of course, VT will probably follow suit at some point.

They're gonna need a bigger jail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates