Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2020, 11:49 AM

9,453 posts, read 5,212,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
I just find it all so bizarre... It seems like more and more people are coming out as transgender or gender neutral these days. There are so many confused people... I've listened to people's experiences about having the MTF surgery and it's very unpleasant... It's basically mutilated down there... I can't believe some surgeons actually do this..
I agree with you on this one! To me, it's one thing to allow your children to play how they want when they are children, ie, let the little girl be a tomboy and the little boy to play with dolls if that is what they gravitate to, and I'd assume that at some point in 'growing up' it might become clear that the child clearly leans away from the birth gender, but it is quite another to allow a full blown 'transition' to another gender when the child is not even an adult, and especially with no psychological counseling. Aren't the doctors who would facilitate such a transition required to ensure that counseling has taken place?

Old 12-20-2020, 12:04 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
I agree with you on this one! To me, it's one thing to allow your children to play how they want when they are children, ie, let the little girl be a tomboy and the little boy to play with dolls if that is what they gravitate to, and I'd assume that at some point in 'growing up' it might become clear that the child clearly leans away from the birth gender, but it is quite another to allow a full blown 'transition' to another gender when the child is not even an adult, and especially with no psychological counseling. Aren't the doctors who would facilitate such a transition required to ensure that counseling has taken place?
Minors cannot do a "fullblown" transition. For children it amounts to being able to wear the preferred hairstyle and clothes, use of preferred pronouns and name. At puberty there is the option of use of medication to block physical changes. Those can be stopped at any time and puberty allowed to proceed. Children do not have surgery.

Counselling is part of the process of transition at all ages.

Old 12-20-2020, 12:33 PM

9,453 posts, read 5,212,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Minors cannot do a "fullblown" transition. For children it amounts to being able to wear the preferred hairstyle and clothes, use of preferred pronouns and name. At puberty there is the option of use of medication to block physical changes. Those can be stopped at any time and puberty allowed to proceed. Children do not have surgery.

Counselling is part of the process of transition at all ages.
Really?? Puberty is such a tumultous time of life (it was for me). I can't believe there would be an option to block physical changes at that point...what are we talking...12-14 yrs old?
It may not be considered 'right,' but I would probably try to protect my child from the unintended consequences of such grave decisions at that time of life.

Old 12-20-2020, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
Really?? Puberty is such a tumultous time of life (it was for me). I can't believe there would be an option to block physical changes at that point...what are we talking...12-14 yrs old?
It may not be considered 'right,' but I would probably try to protect my child from the unintended consequences of such grave decisions at that time of life.
Gender dysphoria exists. Those with it do better psychologically if they have family support. The medications used are reversible. If the situation evolves and the child wants to stop the meds, that is done.

Old 12-20-2020, 02:19 PM

1,680 posts, read 1,792,130 times
Quote:
Gender dysphoria exists. Those with it do better psychologically if they have family support. The medications used are reversible. If the situation evolves and the child wants to stop the meds, that is done.
A man in his profile states he's 6'5 yet upon meeting- he's 5'7--wouldn't you say hey pal, you've expressed your height as 6′5?

Now; He rebuttals: inside I feel and believe I'm 6'5 and always have since a 7 yo; also, I have legal documents proving my 6'5 stature..here look at my legal Identification card; clearly labels myself as 6'5.

Shall you describe him as 6'5 to your friends and family purely based on his internal belief?

Old 12-20-2020, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPECFRCE View Post
A man in his profile states he's 6'5 yet upon meeting- he's 5'7--wouldn't you say hey pal, you've expressed your height as 6′5?

Now; He rebuttals: inside I feel and believe I'm 6'5 and always have since a 7 yo; also, I have legal documents proving my 6'5 stature..here look at my legal Identification card; clearly labels myself as 6'5.

Shall you describe him as 6'5 to your friends and family purely based on his internal belief?
Your hypothetical does not erase the fact that gender dysphoria is real. You do not have to "believe in it" for that to be true.

Old 12-20-2020, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Your hypothetical does not erase the fact that gender dysphoria is real. You do not have to "believe in it" for that to be true.
I believe Gender Dysmorphia exist equally as I believe homosexuals and transgender homo-sapiens exist.

Additionally I believe there's a complex or disorder aassociated with each aforementioned life style. My goal isnt to refute they're not who they desire to be. Moreso I'd like to discuss the illness or disorder associated with their belief.

My question is completely serious and innocent. No hidden trapdoors. Would you consider/ describe the man 6"5 or 5'7?

Old 12-20-2020, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPECFRCE View Post
I believe Gender Dysmorphia exist equally as I believe homosexuals and transgender homo-sapiens exist.

Additionally I believe there's a complex or disorder aassociated with each aforementioned life style.

My question is completely serious and innocent. No hidden trapdoors. Would you consider/ describe the man 6"5 or 5'7?
I would not describe him at all. He does not exist.

Old 12-20-2020, 03:57 PM

Quote:
I would not describe him at all. He does not exist.
Uncertain how you've come to your conclusion.

But- very well.

Old 12-20-2020, 06:08 PM

828 posts, read 465,550 times
I know this my sound like a platitude but the saying: "It is what it is." would be appropriate to my way of thinking. If one wishes to assume the role of the opposite sex I don't know why he/she should be prevented from that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates