Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2020, 12:03 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,871,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Very Man Himself View Post
Note to Mod, for the CD tech peeps.
Tried to rep Jazzy Jeff above and get a message that I' can't rep the same post twice.
This happens with some regularity.
You may have inadvertently hit the rep button twice? Not to worry. I just checked Jazzy Jeff's latest reputations received and I saw that yours had gone through.

This happens to me, as well. I often hit the rep button twice, just to be sure, because we don't get a screen telling us that our rep has gone through. The reps always go through the first time, as far as I've seen.

Old 12-09-2020, 04:09 PM

1,748 posts, read 1,295,598 times
The tragic story of David Relmer is one of the saddest book I've ever read. I strongly object gender assignment of any kind to even consider for anyone under the age of 25yo.

Old 12-14-2020, 09:20 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,551,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
https://www.jccf.ca/you-gave-me-what...uined-my-life/

I'd like to discuss the psychological impacts of the group of people who think it's alright to allow people under 16 to take gender altering hormones and even get reassignment surgery and the pros and cons of such issues. Given the article I posted I can't really hide my position on this one, but I don't want to post anything too provocative in my first post so I'll leave it open for discussion.

My goal is to not make this political though it might be hard not too. This is a psychological issue in which we are allowing minors to do things which in my opinion they are not mature enough to handle. If mods feel this would be better in another subforum, feel free to move, or lock or delete or take whatever steps necessary to keep things civil. Thanks!

Moderator edit: This topic has been moved to Great Debates from the Psychology forum. As with all posts in Great Debates, participants are expected to abide by the forum-specific Rules and, above all, be respectful.
If I had a child that in this situation, I would respect his or her wished when I come of how he or she feels. However, as a minor, I would not go along with anything that deals with physical changes. Why? Because if I went along with him or her as a minor, later, there is a chance he or she would sue me because I allowed him to do so. He or she would claim that I, as a parent, should have known better that he or she was not mature enough to make such decision.

Once he or she becomes a legal adult, he can do whatever he or she wants to do with his body legally.

As far as the psychological part, I would have not problem to pay for a psychological counseling if he or she wanted it.

You have a great day.
elamigo

Old 12-14-2020, 11:58 AM

4,190 posts, read 2,503,893 times
I suppose its a sign of the times that we are still discussing this...When Thomas Hall (1603-?), aka Tomasine Hall, came to Virginia in 1627, a person was defined as either male or female. Yet, he, a veteran of the English army in the Siege of Saint-Martin-de-Ré (1627), floated between the two identities. Having appeared before the Quarter Court, he/she was given permission to wear the attire of either sex. His physical examination is recorded but not appropriate perhaps for the forum.

Old 12-14-2020, 12:13 PM

1,680 posts, read 1,791,872 times
As scientist— we can often times be incorrect, misinterpret linkage(s), and under estimate data coupled with biases and political fuel. I believe this was the case with the removal of Homosexuality via the APA’s suggestion in 73’ from the DSM. Sometimes we simply “get it wrong.”

I state biases as a majority of the TF supplying documents 03’ (Lawrence V. Texas) were Homosexual with the exception a few; one being Bisexual and the chaired Judith M. Glassgold, Psy.D is also lesbian.

Moving forward examine Xenomelia, one's desires to remove a healthy limb and data states “the condition has an onset in early childhood and that it may even be present since birth” Scrutinizing the desire to become a paraplegic; would you consider this as healthy thinking and a normalcy because said person desired to remove their limb(s) since birth or childhood? Drill down deeper would you seriously analyze this a normalcy— simply because the DSM removed Xenomelia? How many of you would cheerlead and support this belief from your child and remove said limb?

More importantly pushing beyond the negative connation associated with illness, disorder, condition, syndrome, or plain English; broken, we can have a dialogue about the true nature of the mental state. Ultimately providing a full unbiased remedy or/and comprehension of the root.

Via the definition of illness/disorder each: Homosexuality, Transexual, and Xenomelia fit the scope.

Love yourself—Love your children albeit— this doesn’t mean cling to the web(s) spun up by them

Old 12-14-2020, 01:22 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,871,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPECFRCE View Post
As scientist— we can often times be incorrect, misinterpret linkage(s), and under estimate data coupled with biases and political fuel. I believe this was the case with the removal of Homosexuality via the APA’s suggestion in 73’ from the DSM. Sometimes we simply “get it wrong.”

I state biases as a majority of the TF supplying documents 03’ (Lawrence V. Texas) were Homosexual with the exception a few; one being Bisexual and the chaired Judith M. Glassgold, Psy.D is also lesbian.

Moving forward examine Xenomelia, one's desires to remove a healthy limb and data states “the condition has an onset in early childhood and that it may even be present since birth” Scrutinizing the desire to become a paraplegic; would you consider this as healthy thinking and a normalcy because said person desired to remove their limb(s) since birth or childhood? Drill down deeper would you seriously analyze this a normalcy— simply because the DSM removed Xenomelia? How many of you would cheerlead and support this belief from your child and remove said limb?

More importantly pushing beyond the negative connation associated with illness, disorder, condition, syndrome, or plain English; broken, we can have a dialogue about the true nature of the mental state. Ultimately providing a full unbiased remedy or/and comprehension of the root.

Via the definition of illness/disorder each: Homosexuality, Transexual, and Xenomelia fit the scope.

Love yourself—Love your children albeit— this doesn’t mean cling to the web(s) spun up by them
I think that bringing xenomelia (a desire to have one's healthy limbs amputated) into a discussion about gender reassignment (and/or homosexuality) is creating a false equivalency.

Transgenders and homosexuals are still able-bodied adults and choose to live their lives as able-bodied adults in all ways except with the ability to reproduce. And, even in that, it is not always because they don't desire to have families of their own.

Old 12-14-2020, 01:55 PM

3,318 posts, read 1,815,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Keep in mind that most who transition have not had surgery, so there is nothing to "revert back".

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6626314/
Then what did they 'transition TO' if there was nothing to revert 'back FROM' ?

Old 12-14-2020, 01:57 PM

1,680 posts, read 1,791,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
I think that bringing xenomelia (a desire to have one's healthy limbs amputated) into a discussion about gender reassignment (and/or homosexuality) is creating a false equivalency.

Transgenders and homosexuals are still able-bodied adults and choose to live their lives as able-bodied adults in all ways except with the ability to reproduce. And, even in that, it is not always because they don't desire to have families of their own.

The proposed correlates to mental state/beliefs; thus, providing ground for great equivalency.

Transgender, homosexuals, and Xenomelia should each be considered able-bodied beings.

Without distracting from the point of mental stability or belief each member should be loved and fall under the scope of illness/disorder by definition.

Last edited by SPECFRCE; 12-14-2020 at 02:07 PM..

Old 12-14-2020, 05:43 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
Then what did they 'transition TO' if there was nothing to revert 'back FROM' ?
They live as the preferred gender without having irreversible surgical procedures. Hormones can just be stopped.

Old 12-14-2020, 09:15 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,922,938 times
I don’t really share this part of my life with others, but considering nobody else seems to have personal experience regarding gender dysmorphia I decided to speak up. So starting around 3 years old I experienced I guess what one could call gender dysmorphia, granted everyone experiences it differently. In my case I was the youngest in my family at the time and was growing up with 3 sisters and 1 brother. My brother who was the oldest and would’ve been around 9 at the time was very macho and big and he would pick on me a lot and call me a girl and such for being so weak and feminine I guess. And because of that I would play with my sisters and I identified with them more. At times the bullying would get so bad that I would think maybe my brother was right and that my parents made a mistake and I was a girl all along especially since I thought the only anatomical difference between boys and girls was that girls had a small phallus and boys had large ones, and considering I was just a little boy obviously I had a small one (it also didn’t help that I was the only one in my family who was circumcised), so this confirmed my theory that maybe I was a girl after all. So then I would try and start wearing my sisters dresses since I thought that was the biggest difference between the two sexes. But then my mom would catch me and clearly explain to me what I was doing was wrong though to my surprise at the time my dad was a lot more chill about it and would tell her not to worry and that it was just a phase and I would soon grow out of it. As the time went by these feelings would mostly fade, especially as I started finding a common footing around my brother and found activities we could both bond over (mainly video games) and when I went to kindergarten I definitely identified as a boy, but still in the back of my head I had this feeling that I would make a better girl than a boy and if somebody at that time would’ve told me that I could magically turn into a girl like Pinocchio I would’ve done so no questions asked. But then when I was 6 one of my younger sisters was born and when I saw what a girls anatomy really looked like for the first time I was shocked and disgusted and the thought of me being a girl went out the window. I’m extremely grateful that I didn’t grow up around people who would’ve fed my delusions, and would’ve extremely regretted it if I had fully committed to my female persona.

My takeaway from this experience is that some people have a misconception that males have to be strictly masculine and females have to be strictly feminine and that if they don’t fit in one or the other stereotype then there is something wrong with them and that life would be easier if they reassign their sex to better fit the stereotype, when in fact there is a lot of gray area in between and they can still enjoy the things they want to do while still being their biological sex. And I personally think more often then not they are trying to outrun something which unfortunately will still be there even after the sex change (though I could be projecting) There’s a lot of talk about accepting once self/body/size/weight etc., and I think there should be a conversation about accepting one’s biological sex as well. Granted I was never repulsed by my own body but rather was repulsed/frightened by the way other male figures acted around me, but even then that still sounds like a psychological disorder, if not more so considering there are so many other disorders regarding disgust to ones body such as anorexia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates