Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2021, 07:14 AM

2,289 posts, read 1,569,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Wikipedia is pretty reliable as a continually updating, online encyclopedia which references all its own source material in the footnotes section that can be found at the end of every article. One can also click on the "View History" tab at the top of every Wiki article to examine previous versions of the article, any disputes involving material posted, and any editorial changes to the article. Wikipedia is merely a starting point, from which one can further explore a topic. While Wikipedia should never be used a primary source for a college thesis, it is otherwise fine for directional reference use on the I-net.
Before Encyclopedia Brittanica bit the dust Wiki had been assessed as equal to, if not superior. Hardly a day I don't use it.

Old 01-03-2021, 07:19 AM

2,289 posts, read 1,569,516 times
Read a discussion recently where people were referred to as with or without P*****es.
Seems an awkward way to be "inclusive".

Old 01-03-2021, 08:32 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,381,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I disagree with your OPINION that gender dysphoria is not a mental illness.

From my perspective, it is a refusal to accept the reality of one's biology.

The answer (again, my point-of-view) is to work on accepting oneself.

To introduce powerful hormones and toxins into a juvenile's system, I believe, is child abuse.

To go further and cut off body parts is akin to assault (or possibly even Munchausen's by Proxy). It's not "normal" to want to cut your body parts off and/or sew other body parts on (especially not to a child's body).
Since when are hormones toxic? Or do you refer to some other "toxins"? Please name them.

And again, surgery isn't happening on kids. Oh, unless you count the parents who decide gender in newborns with ambiguous genitalia - there's some controversy around that, too.

Old 01-03-2021, 11:55 AM

3,288 posts, read 2,360,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
https://www.jccf.ca/you-gave-me-what...uined-my-life/

I'd like to discuss the psychological impacts of the group of people who think it's alright to allow people under 16 to take gender altering hormones and even get reassignment surgery and the pros and cons of such issues. Given the article I posted I can't really hide my position on this one, but I don't want to post anything too provocative in my first post so I'll leave it open for discussion.

My goal is to not make this political though it might be hard not too. This is a psychological issue in which we are allowing minors to do things which in my opinion they are not mature enough to handle. If mods feel this would be better in another subforum, feel free to move, or lock or delete or take whatever steps necessary to keep things civil. Thanks!

Moderator edit: This topic has been moved to Great Debates from the Psychology forum. As with all posts in Great Debates, participants are expected to abide by the forum-specific Rules and, above all, be respectful.
Minors do a lot of stupid things that they regret for the rest of their lives which is why we limit what they can do. This is one of those things. You gotta penis? Guess what?You are a boy whether you identify with that or not. You wanna swing the other way and mess around with your own sex? Go ahea. But you are still a male no matter what you do to try and change that fact.

That was easy. Cut and dry. Don’t let emotional ridiculous thoughts get in the way of genetic.

Old 01-03-2021, 02:24 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,381,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
Minors do a lot of stupid things that they regret for the rest of their lives which is why we limit what they can do. This is one of those things. You gotta penis? Guess what?You are a boy whether you identify with that or not. You wanna swing the other way and mess around with your own sex? Go ahea. But you are still a male no matter what you do to try and change that fact.

That was easy. Cut and dry. Don’t let emotional ridiculous thoughts get in the way of genetic.
Here's just one condition that happens to affect those who are GENETICALLY male but have feminine PHYSICAL characteristics:
https://rarediseases.org/rare-diseas...drome-partial/

NO, it's not cut and dried... [edit]

Last edited by Rachel NewYork; 01-03-2021 at 02:31 PM.. Reason: Removed comments directed at forum member. (But they did make me laugh!)

Old 01-03-2021, 02:38 PM

6,708 posts, read 5,939,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Since when are hormones toxic? Or do you refer to some other "toxins"? Please name them.

And again, surgery isn't happening on kids. Oh, unless you count the parents who decide gender in newborns with ambiguous genitalia - there's some controversy around that, too.
Are you defending the injection of hormones into children?

Old 01-03-2021, 08:39 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,876,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Are you defending the injection of hormones into children?
Please don't attempt to put words in the mouth of another debate participant. The participant said that hormones aren't toxic, which is a fact -- not a "defense." Additionally, pediatricians may opt to treat some children suffering from hormonal imbalance with endocrine disruptors -- especially for very young girls who suffer from early onset puberty.

Old 01-04-2021, 12:22 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,697,006 times
Okay, I will admit that most of this topic is over my head and that I don't even understand some of the terminology. I posted back towards what is now the middle of this thread. I said, more or less, that probably some people ARE born in the wrong body but I don't think it's as common as it's made out to be. I also said most gay people are born that way. That's what I believe from the people I have known.

But this transgender stuff--to me, it's going too far and too fast. I do think it could be genetic but I also think it's rare. Just because it's become popular and even fashionable doesn't mean that society should just go ahead and allow it so easily.

I see it as another example of the chaos and confusion that is running rampant in our American society and it reminds me of high school when we studied the fall of the Roman Empire. I used to think about that a lot and it seemed as though way back then, during their downfall, the prevailing philosophy was to just let anything go--eat, drink, and be merry. Hedonistic lifestyle. Do whatever you want, who cares? Satisfy yourself and don't even think about being a responsible adult.

(Need some expert on the fall of the Roman Empire to jump in here, lol.)

Anyway, maybe young people feel comfortable with same sex bathrooms but I do not. Maybe young people feel that there's only one gender or there's no gender but I do not. Of course there are degrees of masculinity and femininity and it's hard wired into us. Can't change it in most cases. So there are bound to be A FEW who feel very oriented towards one sex and it's not the sex they were born with. For THEM, let them decide when they grow up. We shouldn't be ruled by kids and what they think. Let them grow up first.

Most people who are confused are simply confused. The more we condone this confusion the more we contribute to the chaos. I think history shows that we need to have guidelines and when we just open it up to a free for all we're really not helping anybody.

Old 01-04-2021, 12:38 PM

726 posts, read 329,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
...So there are bound to be A FEW who feel very oriented towards one sex and it's not the sex they were born with. For THEM, let them decide when they grow up. We shouldn't be ruled by kids and what they think. Let them grow up first....
Exactly. Transsexuals know they're in the wrong body. It's not something they decide. It's just something they know. But this realization is not something a minor should be allowed to act upon. A person should be at least 18, or better - 21 years old, before going through with surgery and hormone treatment, and further, it should be done under the care of a psychologist.

Old 01-09-2021, 05:09 PM

2,820 posts, read 2,287,063 times
I know little to nothing about the topic, so take what I saw with a grain of salt. But, my basic gut feeling is that children should be allowed to act or dress however they want regardless of their biological sex. That may make some people uncomfortable. But, so what. Clothes, hair styles, jewelry are all arbitrary. We saw how damaging it was to deny dignity to gay people for fear of hurting "mainstream" sensibilities.

When it comes to medical interventions. That's a much harder call. I wouldn't say never. But, it should come after careful discussion and shouldn't be rushed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates