Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2020, 12:33 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Very Man Himself View Post
I find your Autism claim astounding. Do you have any evidence in support?
Has anyone ever claimed that a man got pregnant, and provided evidence in support?

I don't have the impression that TG' are looking for society to "celebrate" their decisions. I think all that most are looking for is acceptance, just like the rest of us. Sure, there will always be some who are too in your face, but I don't think they are the majority.
https://www.spectrumnews.org/news/la...der-diversity/

This is the first to pop up on Google but there are many others. It's pretty well documented at this point, and not at all surprising.

EVERYONE want's to "celebrate" it. Proclamations are made, congratulations are given, attention and ego stroking goes into overdrive by ally's and rando's who want to support everyone. For some it's a dopamine hit for sure. Especially for the moms of trans kids. But that wears off after awhile.

Old 12-05-2020, 03:18 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,673,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Read about Tomas Beatie
I'd never heard of this person. So, she was a woman, who felt like a man, "became a man" legally, yet wanted to give birth to children, which "he" did twice.
I wish that family all the best, but it's not something I can wrap my brain around. Maybe I'm just an old curmudgeon.

Old 12-05-2020, 05:32 PM

1,691 posts, read 1,271,429 times
My stance is cut and dry. Being transgender is a mental illness. Parents allowing "children" to make these lifelong decisions are essentially committing child abuse.

Old 12-05-2020, 05:34 PM

6,701 posts, read 5,930,570 times
Transgenderism is a complex subject and our culture, our civilization in fact, has no clear guidelines on how to treat TG.

Adding to the confusion among the mainstream population is the energetic work of TG advocates who argue strenuously that gender is an assigned trait, and not an innate trait. They promote the notion of allowing young children to pick a gender themselves rather than simply forcing them into the predefined gender roles based on chromosomes and body parts.

There was a time not so long ago when the above would be ridiculous and even criminal, but today is increasingly accepted, or at least people are increasingly afraid to rock the boat and speak out against the growing LGBTQ+ orthodoxy lest they be "cancelled" from social media or lose their jobs or even be charged with a crime. In California, for example, legislation was accepted in the legislature that makes "mis-gendering" or mis-pronouning someone a crime punishable by fines and even prison time, at least in an institutional setting such as a medical facility.

The article linked by the OP does not mention numbers. How many TG's came to regret childhood procedures and hormonal treatments? How many committed suicide because of it? How many are happily adjusted and better off because of transitioning at an early age?

I read somewhere that many, perhaps most, children who want to switch genders would normally grow out of it and become accepting of their biological genders by the time they're 18-19. If this is true, society is committing a vast and horrible injustice by allowing stupid parents to grant their kids a gender reassignment at a young age.

It's true, a boy-to-girl situation might work best if the boy is transitioned before puberty, to preserve feminine aspects before they disappear. A girl-to-boy might want to avoid breast growth altogether and coax her vocal cords to deepen as they grow.

But what if they come to regret this later? A boy will never be able to produce ova and become pregnant, nor will a girl be able to produce sperm. At best, they'll be in disguise for the rest of their lives.

There's a Youtuber I follow named Blaire White, a male-to-female TG who likes to comment on socio-political matters from a conservative perspective. Yes, a conservative TG, imagine that! She says, gender dysphoria is a mental illness. Playing the role of the opposite gender is what helped her overcome the illness, but it's still an illness and should not be treated as a whimsical thing. She believes minors should not be transitioned, because of the life-altering nature of the treatments.

Closer to home, a family whose daughters are friends with our daughter has one of them that decided around age 15 or 16 that she wants to be a boy. After some resistance, her parents agreed to let her take hormone therapy. We had the family over at some point and when the kids were outside, I thoughtlessly misgendered "him" and said "She must be busy with school and music blah blah blah" and the other adults glared at me, or so I was told later; I was oblivious that day. Boo hoo. She's a girl pretending to be a boy. So sue me for not playing her game.

A friend of mine works with a couple of male-to-females who are difficult personalities, not very good at their jobs but super-defensive and vengeful. Woe to you if you mis-gender them; your manager will hear about it. My friend tries to be polite and professional but it's not pleasant.

I believe minors should not get surgical and chemical alteration. They're simply too immature. Probably some would be okay with it, but others would be irreparably harmed by it. I would therefore err on the side of protecting the vulnerable. They're not old enough to make a life-altering decision like that.

Old 12-05-2020, 05:42 PM

8,481 posts, read 6,886,522 times
The mind is the real self and it transcends the physical state of human beings irregardless of how we might be seen by others.

Old 12-05-2020, 07:14 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,567,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
https://www.spectrumnews.org/news/la...der-diversity/

This is the first to pop up on Google but there are many others. It's pretty well documented at this point, and not at all surprising.

EVERYONE want's to "celebrate" it. Proclamations are made, congratulations are given, attention and ego stroking goes into overdrive by ally's and rando's who want to support everyone. For some it's a dopamine hit for sure. Especially for the moms of trans kids. But that wears off after awhile.
Fascinating study, I had no idea, but, the finding that:
Quote:
About 30,000, or 5 percent, of the cisgender people in the study have autism, the researchers found, whereas 895, or 24 percent, of the gender-diverse people do.
does not support your original claim that "most" gender diverse people "have other issues going on like Autism, or emotional problems." It's hardly surprising that the gender diverse have emotional problems, but by my math 24% falls short of "most" as you characterized it.

The cisgender or non gender diverse celebrate all manner of milestones, personal and public, particularly religious ones that they attach significance to, only because of their religion. So why shouldn't the gender diverse not be permitted to celebrate milestones, that are significant to them?

Old 12-06-2020, 12:07 PM

4,190 posts, read 2,506,426 times
Gender reassignment in one form or another is routine. About 1 in 2,000 infants have some sort of issue which requires surgery in this area. What if the parent gets it wrong? Is that kid stuck for life?

Old 12-06-2020, 02:57 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,066,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
The mind is the real self and it transcends the physical state of human beings irregardless of how we might be seen by others.
What happens when the mind (brain) is defective (not working per design)?

How many people among us don't suffer from at least one phobia, tic, or irrational thought, no matter how minor? Look how many people are in prison because they can't control their anti-social (violent) tendencies, and how many others of us have addiction problems - most all of us have at least some amount of "bad wiring" between our ears. Mood Disorders (like depression) are common and treatable, as are many other mental illnesses. By the time you end up with the type of Psychotic illnesses that cause a "break with reality" (like schizophrenia), people are often unable to live within civil society, but even many of these folks have been helped via modern medications. But many others have not, and end up in state hospitals - IMHO, shutting the majority of those down, and allowing the folks who would have been committed years ago, to walk (and defecate) in the streets, sure doesn't seem to be doing them (or the rest of us) any favors in today's world. At least most people suffering from gender dysphoria are able to function within society, often being very productive members. Not so true with animals like Ted Bundy.

Bottom line, what makes someone who thinks they are a chicken different from someone who thinks they are a member of the opposite sex? But because modern medicine has not found the cause or cure for it, the treatment for the latter is to perform sex-reassignment surgery - not much different than allowing the imagined chicken to sleep in the barn - plus, "We need the eggs". Again, my stance is that if doing so allows the afflicted to have significantly happier, and therefore healthier lives, then "Go for it". We need to be more tolerant, and more compassionate, to the people around us who are not running on all 8 cylinders, even if that means consciously saying "Ma'am", when our brain tells us we should be saying "Dude". Even switching this thread over to "Great Debates" from the original "Psychology" folder was a conscious choice at being kind. Nothing wrong with that. Sorry if my viewpoint appears cynical or mean, sometimes the truth can appear to be both. For example, would it be kinder to allow those living with severe depression, to live greatly diminished lives vs. properly diagnosing and treating them?

I'm sure there is a theory out there where "Those with this problem have perfectly functioning brains, but Nature screwed up by developing that perfectly functioning brain within a body containing the wrong chromosomes, reproductive organs, etc." If so, I hope they explain what the odds of that happening are, when mental disorders are so prevalent among humans to begin with. So to Bruce Jenner, Dr. Curly would say, "Your brain isn't working quite right, but if it makes you happy to wear makeup and dresses, and surgically turn your Outie into an Innie, you go right ahead, because science hasn't progressed far enough yet to otherwise help you". But for children? "First, do no harm".

Old 12-08-2020, 06:52 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,297,931 times
The Supreme Court declined Monday to take up an appeal from Oregon parents who want transgender students in their school district to use locker rooms and bathrooms based on their sex assigned at birth.

The decision lets stand a federal appeals court ruling that upheld the district’s policy of permitting trans students to use facilities that align with their gender identity.

“A policy that allows transgender students to use school bathroom and locker facilities that match their self-identified gender in the same manner that cisgender students utilize those facilities does not infringe Fourteenth Amendment privacy or parental rights or First Amendment free exercise rights, nor does it create actionable sex harassment under Title IX,” Judge A. Wallace Tashima of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals wrote in the February decision for Parents for Privacy v. William P. Barr et al.

https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-...ppeal-n1250284

Old 12-08-2020, 10:31 AM

2,289 posts, read 1,567,115 times
Note to Mod, for the CD tech peeps.
Tried to rep Jazzy Jeff above and get a message that I' can't rep the same post twice.
This happens with some regularity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates