Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 03:52 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,808,956 times

Advertisements

I said how you address people affects them, I guess what door they walk into would have just as much of an effect too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 09:04 PM

12 posts, read 10,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb64282 View Post
man I knew of some things that were crazy but this pretty much tops it. someone with a vagina can actually make sperm and your body can preform a sex change. Crazy crazy.
There's a reason Ripley's Believe it or Not is still around. We have nearly 7 billion people in this world, and sexual reproduction introduces variations. Sometimes they are fatal, sometimes they result in sterility, sometimes they are useless, and sometimes they are helpful. Just kind of the way it goes.

Quote:
That's really sad that it happened to someone that didn't want it to happen, I hope they were able to help his body change back, or at least counter the effects.
Depending on what's causing it, they can sometimes work to stop it. That is not always the case.

When your body and your mind don't match up, it causes problems. If you woke up tomorrow in a body of the wrong sex, it would bother you. Despite all the physical evidence to the contrary, you would still have an innate sense of who you are, and who you are supposed to be.

If you close your eyes, you can probably visualize what it would be like to reach out and grab something. Even without doing it, you know what it would feel like. This is our internal map - it's how our body plans, how it models our interactions with our world. For some people, it just doesn't line up, and it's a process that gets worse over time.

Quote:
Previously I said you should just go into the bathroom that you look like so that way people won't be set off and just use a stall and lock it either way
My personal school of thought is to use the one that causes the least discomfort - balancing your comfort and safety, and the comfort of others.

If you look like a guy, this probably means coming to terms with the men's bathroom, no matter what you look like.
If you look like a girl, the women's room is probably the place to be.
If you are in-between and sometimes read as male, and sometimes read as female, well, there's always "safe2pee.org", which has nice listings of gender-neutral bathrooms.

Old 10-02-2009, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmatic View Post

My personal school of thought is to use the one that causes the least discomfort - balancing your comfort and safety, and the comfort of others.

If you look like a guy, this probably means coming to terms with the men's bathroom, no matter what you look like.
If you look like a girl, the women's room is probably the place to be.
If you are in-between and sometimes read as male, and sometimes read as female, well, there's always "safe2pee.org", which has nice listings of gender-neutral bathrooms.
that's really great someone started a website for people like that, I think sometimes we forget just how much other people have to deal with, like, how something as simple as what bathroom to go in can really affect someones life, yea I agree you have to have a balance, interesting thread! You are very well educated in the matter, tried to rep you again but it wouldn't let me

Old 10-02-2009, 07:28 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1phwalls View Post
I think the problem with allowing this is that some guy who wants to get a peek can put on a dress and go into the womens room to get that peek, and vice versa for women going into the mens room. We shouldn't have to worry about being checked out when we are trying to take a crap!

I'm also not interested in explaining to my kids why the woman wearing the dress has a penis.
Ok.

1. Right now, a man can dress up as a woman and go be nasty in a women's restroom. There's nothing stopping him from doing that. So that is a moot point. People who are going to break the law and be gross are going to do it regardless.

2. Why the hell would you have to explain anything to your kids? In which ladies' restroom do they have open stalls and urinals?

If people were actually able to be real adults, this separate bathroom thing would have fallen by the wayside long ago.

Old 10-02-2009, 07:31 AM

well, I don't know about that, I really like the woman's restroom, I mean, it's great to go in the bathroom when you're out with your friends and talk and stuff while you brush your hair and powder your face

Old 10-02-2009, 07:34 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
Yeah, but what you want and are asking for goes well beyond the whole point of having a bathroom (and that is to relieve yourself and wash up). What you want is just gravy.

Old 10-02-2009, 07:39 AM

Yes, I know that is what a bathroom is for, but bathrooms have long been a place to socialize, I think it goes back to even ancient Rome, people hanging out and stuff and talking, but I think that was a different kind of bathroom, pretty sure they were all swimming too, I mean I don't want joint bathrooms everywhere but if people are really that affected by it I guess it would be ok with me, a lot of places do have joint bathrooms already and they don't bother me but typically there is only one stall in them

Old 10-02-2009, 03:36 PM

Quote:
You are very well educated in the matter, tried to rep you again but it wouldn't let me
I learned the hard way. The picture I posted earlier was of me.

Old 10-02-2009, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmatic View Post
I learned the hard way. The picture I posted earlier was of me.
well, I think you should go into the ladies room, too pretty to be in the mens room!

Old 10-03-2009, 12:04 AM

Quote:
well, I think you should go into the ladies room, too pretty to be in the mens room!
I've got a fun hormonal issue - lack of Testosterone. It meant I was never very masculine, but I also ended up extremely tall.

In general, I avoid public restrooms if at all possible. I, like most of the people like me, did not ask nor choose to feel the way I do, and am really not looking to make a scene.

Thank you for the complement, though - I have come to the conclusion that I am far more likely to cause issues in the Men's room than in the ladies. Just as importantly, my ID and name are female - I am in the position where I can get in far more trouble in the Men's - legally, and otherwise.

http://devcenter.coreforge.org/coreimages/storimages/d345b1430540c86d031137228fbf1926/Cropped.jpg (broken link)

It is all too common a misconception that you can instantly tell, or that transsexuals all look like 50 year old men, built like linebackers, wearing a dress.

The transsexuals you see are almost always the ones that are obvious. Most of the younger ones, and almost all of the Female to Male ones - you would never, ever know after they have been on hormones.

It may be hard to understand, but my drives are female, and have been all my life. I never dated, never kissed, never was physically intimate as a guy. I couldn't, it would have been a lie.

There is no reason to fear me in the bathroom. For one thing, I am not sexually interested in women. I am not a pedophile, and have lower testosterone (and by extension sex drive and muscle mass) than most women. I sit down, use a stall, and even if your children peeked under the door, they wouldn't see anything - I assure you.

I am there to do my business, not socialize, not check people out. I would, however, like to avoid being beaten, raped, or otherwise accosted because I went into the Men's room.

Last edited by karmatic; 10-03-2009 at 12:23 AM.. Reason: Clarification
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates