Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 02:52 AM

9 posts, read 51,063 times

Advertisements

Women go in the men's room all the time when theirs is full. Women take their sons into the women's room. Men take their daughters into the men's room. Some places only have one restroom. Nobody's worried about who sees what. Nobody cares. Oh, but as soon as someone you don't understand and therefore hate wants to use your restroom you get all bent out of shape. You're worried about your children! You're worried about perverts! You're worried what you'll see of their anatomy! You're worried what they'll see of yours! Give me a break. You're just a bad person and you're looking for an excuse to justify hate.

I find it horrifying that people assume that gender-bending folks must be perverts and child molesters. To the contrary, a huge number of transsexuals are basically asexual because they're uncomfortable with their body.

Sure, some male to female transsexuals don't have particularly feminine features or mannerisms or voices, but where do you want them to go? The men's room so they can get their ass kicked?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
Well said. I think transgendered individuals should be allowed to use the facility that matches their new gender but only after the appropriate surgery. I realize that this can be a problem for all the transgendered folks who either do not want surgery, cannot afford surgery or simply have not had surgery yet. However, I think its necessary to draw the line somewhere.
But what is the concern here? Freaking people out? Presence or lack of a penis doesn't have anything to do with that. There are totally passable transsexual women who still have penises, and there are extremely masculine ones who have had theirs removed.

Besides, what are you going to do? Would you like to give mall security the power to inspect anybody's junk they want to make sure they're in the right restroom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1phwalls View Post
I think the problem with allowing this is that some guy who wants to get a peek can put on a dress and go into the womens room to get that peek, and vice versa for women going into the mens room.
So trannies are all perverts? Don't flatter yourself. Nobody wants to see you pee.

Quote:
We shouldn't have to worry about being checked out when we are trying to take a crap!
Using that logic lesbians should have to use the men's room and gay guys should have to use the women's room, just so you can be sure you're not peeing with somebody who might be attracted to you. Is that what you meant to suggest?

Quote:
I'm also not interested in explaining to my kids why the woman wearing the dress has a penis.
So are you assuming transsexuals show everybody their penises as soon as they walk into the ladies room?

Besides, I'm sure you've worn pants before, and I'm sure you've gone in the men's room before. Are you a pervert?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeytonC View Post
I agree totally with other posters in here: If you have a weenie you use the mens room, if not, you use the womens room. PERIOD.
So if a man gets penile cancer he has to start using the women's room?

Quote:
Have you ever been in a bathroom, and some little kid peeks under the door at you. I know it's happened to me, and I've heard other peoples stories about it. So yes, a little kid can get a glimpse of something they are not supposed to.
So even though I look a lot more like a woman than a man I'm not allowed to use the women's restroom because a bad parent might let her kid crawl into the stall with me and inspect what I may or may not have dangling below the rim?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Quite frankly, I don't want a man (no matter how much he "thinks" he "feels" like a female) to be in the women's locker room for any reason whatsoever, no matter what stage of surgery he's in.
You'd prefer "he" went to the men's locker room so they can all see what estrogen did to "his" chest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
So if a transgendered male-female begins to change in front of you and the she-male pulls out a penis, would you be ok with this?
Yeah, if we let transgendered women in the women's locker room they're all going to start pulling their penises out and waving them around!

Quote:
Personally, I use the stalls but I'm still uncomfortable with someone who is biologically male being able to come inside a public restroom or locker room.
Why do we scare you so much? Do you think some estrogen-laden tranny is going to try to rape you with her non-functioning boy parts?

Quote:
Allowing any male who claims that he is a female on the inside would open up a huge can of worms where any man with nefarious intents could claim he is a woman but is only interested in peeping or attack women in the restroom or locker room. This is an issue where safety should take precendence over the feelings of a few gender-confused folks.
And you think it's rational that "gender-confused folks" automatically make you feel unsafe? I find that very depressing.

This really demonstrates the bogus fantasy you've concocted. You have no idea what transsexuals go through on a daily basis. I've had years of therapy (yeah, go ahead and tell me it didn't work). I've gone through years of injecting estrogen in my butt. I've gone through years of laser hair removal. I'm a friendly, feminine person with nice hair and natural breasts and I've met women with deeper voices. I'm probably more emotional, more nurturing, and a better cook than you are.

But people like you are going to lump everybody with "gender issues" in the same category, as though I'm no different than if Larry the Cable Guy walked into the women's locker room in a skirt. Why must I be reduced to my genitalia? Trust me, you're never going to see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
False advertising is illegal. As such cross dressers & transvestites are breaking the law. No amount of surgery can change X chromosomes to Y & that is the definitive test of biological sex.
What exactly am I supposedly advertising? I'm not for sale. Are you assuming all trannsexuals are prostitutes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fact2000 View Post
Shall we "correct" GOD?
Ahh, the old "God doesn't make mistakes" argument. But "correcting God" is just about the only thing doctors do! I could write a hundred pages and not even touch the surface! Sorry, but your God seems to make mistakes all the time.

Transsexuality is a pretty serious condition. The majority of transgendered people attempt suicide (and 31% of them are successful) because of people like you giving them so much stress. So maybe the real cure for transsexuality would be you being more tolerant, but since that's never going to happen can we at least let them get surgery if they think it'll make them feel better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fact2000 View Post
There is a very preascious set physical ,emotional,and spiritual atrributes that make a woman a woman.How dare we think that the simple consumption of estrogen and reproductive mutilation is all it takes to enter that realm.
Transsexual women have a very precious set of physical, emotional and spiritual attributes, too. Maybe they're a not as feminine as you'd like them to be, but they're certainly not men in anything but a very limited physical aspect. The estrogen and "reproductive mutilation" is just to try to make their bodies match their other attributes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by archineer View Post
There are a number - over a hundred - of medical conditions we call "Intersex". That is, neither wholly male, nor wholly female.
Using examples of intersex conditions to justify transsexual rights is like using examples of homosexuality in nature to justify gay rights. Bigots don't care -- they still think we're an abomination. All it really does is alienate the majority of transsexuals who were non-ambiguously born into one gender role when they fit much better into the other gender role.

Even when you start taking about Functional MRIs (which have made transsexuality and homosexuality quite tangible), what does that really mean? Should we give transsexuals some kind of a test to see if they're "real transsexuals"? Then what happens if someone fails the test? Is it then OK to make their life hell because they'd rather be different than some people think they should be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 11:58 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,925,882 times
All this bantering about gender etc gives me a good laugh.

Recall when living in Mexico City some friends and I went to a bar where they have Hostesses for company/drinking/dancing.

It was at the early opening hr and after ordering our drinks I went to use the restroom. Walked past the ladies room which had the door open and it was full of women. Next was the mens room and it was also full of women...what?. Walked inside to the urinal and NO one took notice of me as they were all too busy with the makeup and hair etc. This was a little shock to me...I felt a little insulted as they never payed me notice...I was invisible.

Oh well we learn don't we. It was NO big deal as was explained to me by my friends. I was new to the city and NOT accustomed to that type of exposure in the US.

When in Japan and Korea saw a similiar situation with NO adverse affect.

Not sure about other countries as a whole...do believe the US is the only Victorian country still around.

Steve

Old 10-12-2009, 03:07 PM

25,713 posts, read 18,788,778 times
If one doesn’t want one’s parts exposed in a general public setting, the obvious answer is wearing Depends™; when the time comes... let ‘er rip. Optionally, there is always a leg bag. Or a urine bomb while driving...

My policy is to wait until I find a single public restroom with a locking door. Works like a charm every time. It has nothing to do with transgenders, transvestites, homosexuals, asexuals, solosexuals, heterosexuals, necrophiliacs, Victorians, sadists, sadomasochists, or anything-ists. It's pretty simple. I just like to take a **** in peace. Sue me.

Old 10-13-2009, 05:24 AM

2,782 posts, read 4,165,260 times
Get rid of the standing urinals, and have proper closed up individual stalls, which everyone can use - problem solved.

Old 10-13-2009, 06:44 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
Get rid of the standing urinals, and have proper closed up individual stalls, which everyone can use - problem solved.
That, of course, accomplishes two things:

One, it solves the problem!

Two, it starts a huge debate over how much this new arrangement is going to cost, and why everyone's taxes need to be raised to pay for it.

Old 10-13-2009, 06:49 AM

2,782 posts, read 4,165,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
That, of course, accomplishes two things:

One, it solves the problem!

Two, it starts a huge debate over how much this new arrangement is going to cost, and why everyone's taxes need to be raised to pay for it.
When did we ever tear down and rebuild something just because of something like this? If we make new rest rooms, we build them like my idea, as for the old one we keep them till they need rebuilding.
If you have a penis, go to the male room, if you have a vagina go to the female room, if you have a combination of both, you choose...

Old 04-22-2010, 08:07 AM

1 posts, read 984 times
Lawmakers try to sneak the transgender rights bill into the budget:

[url=http://massachusetts-election-2010.com/2010/04/22/rep-driscol-and-rep-lewis-try-to-sneak-the-transgender-rights-bill-into-the-budget/]Rep. Driscoll and Rep. Lewis Try to Sneak the ‘Transgender Rights’ Bill into the Budget « Massachusetts Election 2010[/url]

Old 04-30-2016, 05:49 PM

53 posts, read 89,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by culturedmom View Post
Why? What is it about them in the locker room that makes you uncomfortable. (BTW, I am not trying to bait you or be sarcastic, I really am tryign to find the logic in it)
What is it about them in the locker room that makes transgendered people uncomfortable, then?

You can't have it both ways -- you can't say "it's totally ok for trans people to be uncomfortable with ___ gender in their restroom," while simultaneously saying it's soooooo awful for non-trans people to be uncomfortable with _____ gender in their restroom.

Old 05-01-2016, 03:58 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,793,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
If you pee standing up it's the mens room.
So, women who pee standing up should use the men's room while men who pee sitting down should use the women's room?

Old 05-02-2016, 08:01 AM

810 posts, read 667,363 times
I live in North Carolina (in the capital city) and this is a HOT MESS. People are at each other's throats over this issue. Families and friends attacking others' families and friends on social media with long winded rants. It's almost gotten comical. My favorite scenario that somebody pointed out: An overweight, burly kinda guy at a football game is tired of standing in line for the men's room and instead walks over to the ladies while saying " I identify as a woman"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates