Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 06:02 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,087,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Apparently, we can't decide how to define marriage, men or women. Pretty silly people.
Actually 99.99% of humanity has it pretty well defined. The problem lies with that small minority who can't seem to recognize the obvious answer when looking at themselves as they get out of the shower. And another problem is with those who validate this confusion as "normal" and expect everyone else to also.

My solution? Let 'em hold it until they get home and use the bathroom there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 10:07 AM

141 posts, read 293,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by archineer View Post
Oh yeah? My last girlfriend was xxy. Whats she then?
She has Klinefelter's Syndrome.

Old 10-01-2009, 01:43 AM

12 posts, read 10,984 times
A little bit of thread necromancy, but I decided to stop lurking and post something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Should we bend our laws to accommodate a small group of folks who would feel "uncomfortable" using a restroom with folks of their same gender? What about the majority of folks who would find it uncomfortable having a person of the opposite gender sharing their restroom?
Well, that's the problem isn't it?

Not all transsexual women are built like linebackers, and look like a man in a dress.

So, tell me - from the picture - which bathroom do you think will cause less discomfort? For others, and for the individual in question?

Also, please understand that for the Male to Female transsexual, it is chemical castration. Testosterone produces sexual drives in both men and women - in many cases, the testosterone are lower than those in natal females. Hardly "male infiltrators out to rape our [women/children]".

Last edited by karmatic; 10-01-2009 at 01:48 AM.. Reason: Forgot to resize the image.

Old 10-01-2009, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1phwalls View Post
I'm also not interested in explaining to my kids why the woman wearing the dress has a penis.
... and that point, you have indecent exposure in the presence of a minor. Pretty much the same case as any other flasher.

Old 10-01-2009, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeytonC View Post
I agree totally with other posters in here: If you have a weenie you use the mens room, if not, you use the womens room. PERIOD. Just because someone has a mental disorder & they are convinced they are of the opposite sex is no reason to promote indecency in public restrooms. It is laughable that a bill like this is being considered. I'm not old fashioned (I'm 30), I just have common sense and use rational thought.
Perhaps you should use that rational thought some more.

I am friends with a Female to Male transsexual. He was always rather butch, and got sirred while (in a move I will never understand) 8 months pregnant.

After a few months on Testosterone (it's fast) - his voice dropped, he built a lot of muscle up. If he were to go to the Women's room, the cops would end up called.

Likewise, if a Male to Female transsexual is not easily discernable as such, anyone in the Men's room would be seeing only a woman. I would think that would get rather awkward.

I'm going to assume that you aren't staring at other people's privates when you go to the bathroom - why would a part you can't see, and isn't always distinguishable anyway (intersex, which is way more common than you think) - make any difference.

Someone who is visibly male, regardless of the existence of a penis (or lack thereof) is going to make people uncomfortable in the women's room. This holds true whether a FTM transsexual, a post-op MTF transsexual, or someone who is physically intersexed, or with severe hormonal issues.

Old 10-01-2009, 07:36 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,809,259 times
I think it would be best for transgendered people to just go in whichever room they identify themselves with and use a bathroom with a closed door. If you look like a girl, but you have a penis, men might be uncomfortable if they were next to you at the urinal. Go to the ladies room and just make sure you lock the door. If you look like a boy, but you have a vagina, same thing, go to the mens room and lock the door because women might be uncomfortable seeing what appears to be man walking in. Is that legal? I suppose then you get into 'well who gets to decide what sex a person looks like,' I would say maybe just ask some people you are close to for an honest answer.

Old 10-01-2009, 07:49 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
Just wait until some politician in the back pocket of a lawyer's lobby group introduces legislation requiring any business serving the public to maintain three bathrooms--male, female and transgender. The day that bill is introduced to Congress will be the day this has gone too far.

Old 10-01-2009, 08:00 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,809,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Just wait until some politician in the back pocket of a lawyer's lobby group introduces legislation requiring any business serving the public to maintain three bathrooms--male, female and transgender. The day that bill is introduced to Congress will be the day this has gone too far.
yea, no way, that would be terrible. I think that might lead to transgendered people feeling alienated, we need to help transgendered people have a sense of, 'OK you are A or B,' I know we have a patient at work who is going through a switch and we've tried to be good about addressing them properly, they seemed to be pretty understanding about a slip up once though, didn't say anything so that was good. I mean, it can be hard for other people to get use to that, especially when they are pretty feminine or masculine looking and they are going to the other one

Old 10-01-2009, 10:28 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb64282 View Post
I think it would be best for transgendered people to just go in whichever room they identify themselves with and use a bathroom with a closed door. If you look like a girl, but you have a penis, men might be uncomfortable if they were next to you at the urinal. Go to the ladies room and just make sure you lock the door. If you look like a boy, but you have a vagina, same thing, go to the mens room and lock the door because women might be uncomfortable seeing what appears to be man walking in. Is that legal? I suppose then you get into 'well who gets to decide what sex a person looks like,' I would say maybe just ask some people you are close to for an honest answer.
Makes sense to me. Women's stalls all have doors, and I doubt a TG person dressed as a woman is going to want to whip it out at a urinal anyway. Just use a stall.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:30 PM

3,006 posts, read 3,870,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaomao View Post
She has Klinefelter's Syndrome.
Yes I know, my point is that its ludicrous to claim that genes are the sole determining factor as to weather you're male or female. Anyone with any medical training will know that XX = girl XY = boy isn't always true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates