Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 06:43 PM

814 posts, read 2,306,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungeon View Post
I remmeeber that korean guy who shot up the school in virginia and it showed how poor korea was in cnn. It showed how he came to america from a korean ghetto. I am sure there are some rich koreans like there are some rich people in every country but korea has a gdp according to cia factbook of only 17k, thats not a developed country. Korea has a gdp that is on par with Libya-an african country, estonia-a former soviet republic and taiwan. All have some economic development but lots of poverty. Not necessarily rural poor, but still poor. Korea is poor by american standards a gdp of 17k and most 1st world countries have at least 30k and developed countries have at the very least 20k. I mean chezh republic is considered still developing and it has 21k gdp and I have been told so by Czech people.
lol. you think majority of koreans are living in ghettoes? the cost of living there is different. you can't just compare gdp. korea is not poor but you can keep believing that.

most koreans live with every modern convenience available and it's the most wired country on earth. you are just ignorant. you haven't lived in korea and you are arguing with me about what korea is like.

besides that, i actually like the rural areas better, it's quite quaint and charming. i don't consider it that poor a quality of life either but still korea is a modern country.

and to compare lifestyle. i think they live a more modern lifestyle as well and no less modern than a lot of americans who have to room or live in cheap or average apartments or houses, higher crime(korea has low crime), and also low paying jobs, high taxes etc. american life certainly doesn't feel that progressive.

pay attention: 30k in america is nothing. it costs a lot more to live in america. even as a single person, you could barely live comfortably on that.

i don't find for the most part america is that 'progressive' in actual experience no matter what this 'ranking' says. it's about as fault proof as dining guides. PLUS the gap between the rich and poor in america is a lot wider than in korea.

but poor baby, if it makes you feel better, keep on believing every country is poor and 'undeveloped', 'sucks'(subjective), blah blah etc besides america.

interesting korea feels more civilized in day to day experience than most of america. maybe it's all the 'dumb' americans stereotype. LOL

america is not viewed correctly either, it's viewed with a favorable light whereas other countries tend to be viewed negatively in comparison. there is 'lots of poverty', ghettoes, redneck towns, rundown trailer parks, lots of country churches etc in america. and they seem very, very 'backwards' as well.

Last edited by leaana; 08-18-2009 at 07:40 PM..

Old 08-18-2009, 07:28 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaana View Post
lol. you think majority of koreans are living in ghettoes? the cost of living there is different. you can't just compare gdp. korea is not poor but you can keep believing that.

most koreans live with every modern convenience available and it's the most wired country on earth. you are just ignorant. you haven't lived in korea and you are arguing with me about what korea is like.

besides that, i actually like the rural areas better, it's quite quaint and charming. i don't consider it that poor a quality of life either but still korea is a modern country.

and to compare lifestyle. i think they live a more modern lifestyle as well and no less modern than a lot of americans who have to room or live in cheap or average apartments or houses, higher crime(korea has low crime), and also low paying jobs, high taxes etc. american life certainly doesn't feel that progressive.

pay attention: 30k in america is nothing. it costs a lot more to live in america. even as a single person, you could barely live comfortably on that.

i don't find for the most part america is that 'progressive' in actual experience no matter what this 'ranking' says. it's about as fault proof as dining guides. PLUS the gap between the rich and poor in america is a lot wider than in korea.

but poor baby, if it makes you feel better, keep on believing every country is poor and 'undeveloped', 'sucks'(subjective), blah blah etc besides america.

interesting korea feels more civilized in day to day experience than most of america. maybe it's all the 'dumb' americans stereotype. LOL
Are we talking North or South Korea?

I'd beg to differ from the North. South Korea is very progressed.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:36 PM

814 posts, read 2,306,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Are we talking North or South Korea?

I'd beg to differ from the North. South Korea is very progressed.
of course he's talking about the south, he referred to cho sueng hui and where he's from.

besides, anyone with a shred of knowledge of world politics knows north korea is a militaristic communist country.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:41 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaana View Post
of course he's talking about the south, he referred to cho sueng hui and where he's from.

besides, anyone with a shred of knowledge of world politics knows north korea is a militaristic communist country.
Just making sure,

Old 08-18-2009, 09:48 PM

604 posts, read 1,185,479 times
A UNC study showed that Hispanics are 2.5 times more likely to be drunk in a car wreck than whites and 3 times more likely than blacks. They are 7% of the population and 18% of the DUIs.

Focal Point: Crossing the Line :: WRAL.com

Old 08-18-2009, 09:53 PM

25,689 posts, read 18,773,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbledeez View Post
A UNC study showed that Hispanics are 2.5 times more likely to be drunk in a car wreck than whites and 3 times more likely than blacks. They are 7% of the population and 18% of the DUIs.

Okay. And?

Old 08-19-2009, 12:34 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbledeez View Post

I think we can conclude from this that Hispanics, when they are sober, are much safer drivers than whites, and have accidents only when they are drunk. Whereas whites have a lot of their accidents when they are sober.

As for the DUIs, I bet Hispanics are a lot more likely to be pulled over for routine traffic stops than whites, too, which by itself would lead to a lot more findings of various offenses.

Old 08-19-2009, 02:26 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,649,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
But many times they did. 100 years ago Eastern Europeans came in droves to work in steel mills and the Scots-Irish came to work in the coal mines. Had there been thousands of "willing American workers" these people wouldn't have succeeded and stayed in this country.
Who did those immigrants displace?

Old 08-19-2009, 08:44 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,745,110 times
Thread closed pending review by the Great Debates mods

Old 08-19-2009, 09:11 PM

5,335 posts, read 4,423,566 times
After reviewing the last two pages of this thread it has been decided that this thread will remain closed.

If you have not read the stickies at the top of the forum, I urge you to do so.
Quote:
Personal attacks will not be tolerated.
If you encounter personal attacks, or anything else that violates the rules of Great Debates and/or the Terms of Service of City-Data, please report the offending post(s).
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates