Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 09:28 AM

261 posts, read 668,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Thats simply not true.

If you added the ENTIRE COUNTRY OF MEXICOS POPULATION to that of the United States,

We would still be about 900 MILLION people short.

Thats 900,000,000 people less than that of China.

The United States has 3537441 square miles.

China has 3705405 square miles

They actually have 170,000 square miles more than us (roughly).

And yes, China has deserts, the Gobi, which takes up a large swath of their country. We actually have a much smaller desert area than China has.

There is plenty of room for America to grow, even with the Suburban areas that we are accustomed to. What freaks us out is when we see Mexicans move 5 families into 3 trailers. However, what we aren't realizing, is this is how much of the rest of the world lives. The American form of one family, one house, is just weird, and actually a little wasteful. But hey, it works here, and if people can afford it, good for them.
Ya do you want to be an adult man who sleeps in the same bed as his mother, wife, children and grandmother? I didn't think so. Chinese and Indian people live this way, and thats fine and dandy for them, they have a very old and great culture and thats there cultures way of getting by, but america is not china, we did not exist in the year 300 and we are not going to live like the chinese.

Also chinese land is more fertile and in the cities millions of chinese live in cramped shacks and labour camps that no american would ever live in. America's population is growing with no end in sight, yet china's population is falling and that is true. Soon enough all of mexico will move here with all of china and america will look foreign to its own people.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:34 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,228,739 times
Quote:
America's population is growing with no end in sight, yet china's population is falling and that is true. Soon enough all of mexico will move here with all of china and america will look foreign to its own people.

So, that is what this is about. This sounds very familiar.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:35 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,559,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post

There is plenty of room for America to grow, even with the Suburban areas that we are accustomed to. What freaks us out is when we see Mexicans move 5 families into 3 trailers. However, what we aren't realizing, is this is how much of the rest of the world lives. The American form of one family, one house, is just weird, and actually a little wasteful. But hey, it works here, and if people can afford it, good for them.
Obviously, this is true....Americans don't live like "most of the world does"....and probably aren't eager to start. If "most of the world" was happy with the status quo, few of its inhabitants would want to come here. Obviously, many of them DO.

Could we Americans pack "5 families into 3 trailers"? Of course we could. Some of us DID live this way, only a few generations ago. We could live in communal settings, share a common kitchen, get our water down the street at a 'tap' which was open 3 hours a day, and die at the age of 45 from preventable illnesses. Of COURSE we could live this way...but most f us don't WANT to, and neither do our arriving immigrants.

You seem to see this as a moral issue...and perhaps it is. If so, though, it belongs in the religious forum. Illegal immigration is a matter of law, and the right of people to set limits on their own society. It may ALSO be a matter of morality and 'selfishness' and 'looking out for number one'...but in that case, so are MOST modern issues...from family life, to sexuality, to income disparity, to the environment, to crime, etc etc. ALL of these issues have a 'moral' dimension...but few of us are willing to address this outside the religious forum.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seren77 View Post
This post is very interesting. So 90% of companies are actually losing money by outsourcing to China? I never saw such a statistic before. Do you have any link for this? Boy, they should be really stupid.
It was in my international business textbook. i don't have any links but you should get something off google.
Yes 90% of companies from the west who go to china lose money. The main reasons why is because:
-chinese people buy different things from us that don't seem obvious
-china has capital restircitions because of its fixed currency
-bribes and corruption and failure to understand who and when to bribe, 3 or 4 people might comeby and say give me $10k or i shut you down but only 1 may really have the power to do so
-chinese workers are not american workers, don't understand machines as well, can't speak or read english-not the ones who will work for $4 /hr anyways have to be trained=added expense
-chinese workers also expect to be feed and housed and if you don't do it they show up late and cost business
Basically china is not america and if you don't understand chinese culture your business does bad. people think they can go into china and pay $4 an hour and they get greedy and salivate at the lips, but they don't think of all the cost like building a factory from the ground up buying land, shipping cost which are alot nowadays, all these add to cost, fixed cost which decrease the valuation of a company. The only reason anyone relocates to china is as some people say here, $4 hr if you have high labour cost

Old 08-17-2009, 09:41 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,908,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungeon View Post
What your not pointing out is that japan is overpopulated and that by 2100 there population will be 60 million because it has become too expensive to have children, most americans don't want to live like that. I don't know why you would even think for a second that Japan is not overpopulated because it is. Japan is a country where they have farms on top of roofs of high rise buildings and most people live in apartments. Its irresponsible to pack your country to the brim like that.
People who live in the suburbs don't want to live like people in japan who pay $500,000 to live in a tiny cramped apartment with 1 kid and a souse.
Also realize that Japan's land is much more fertile than any place in america and california is a desert and i destroying the environment by trying to support these huge populations.

Not because it has "become too expensive to have children", but rather this is a trend seen in industrialized nations. Contraceptives and prevailing attitudes of not having children are huge factor. Overpopulation implies that the country is unable to sustain its population. Having the second largest economy in the world clearly proves otherwise. People who live in the suburbs may have to live like people in Japan. Remember that said suburbs were once farmlands (I know, I grew up in the Inland Empire). Things change. People now got used to the "dense" suburbs of houses on small quarter acre lots. Since CA is a desert, having suburban style housing is a bad idea in the first place. It's not the population aspect that is destroying the environment, but rather where we place our resources. Currently, our lawns and manicured planned communities are sucking up too much water.

Well what the pro-immigrant side is pointing out is that its ok to offshore jobs so if we are sending all the jobs to china why are they coming here and stealing the few jobs we have left?

Stealing jobs? How can you "steal" a job? First off, again, this downturn is temporary. You need to acknowledge that in your arguments. The implication is that there are a finite, decreasing number of jobs (jobs we have left). In reality, this can grow. It has and does. Increasingly, in the West, you need to be a highly skilled worker. It was due to a lack of skill that my brother's company sent manufacturing over to Japan. The quality of the devices were MUCH better. R&D resumed in the US. The fact was that the Japanese workers had more experience, hence made fewer errors. These were connectivity devices (connecting Ipods to computers and TVs, ethernet converters, etc.) R&D remained in the US since we had more skilled workers in this field. It comes down to skill and cost. Hence why certain jobs mostly likely will not be outsourced since the skill level is not seen in said countries and it would be too costly to move to other countries.
Meh

Old 08-17-2009, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
So, that is what this is about. This sounds very familiar.
You take 1 statement and use it to paint the whole house. When we live in a country overflowing with people it will not look familiar to those of us born in a time where we didn';t live stacked like sardines

Old 08-17-2009, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Obviously, this is true....Americans don't live like "most of the world does"....and probably aren't eager to start. If "most of the world" was happy with the status quo, few of its inhabitants would want to come here. Obviously, many of them DO.

Could we Americans pack "5 families into 3 trailers"? Of course we could. Some of us DID live this way, only a few generations ago. We could live in communal settings, share a common kitchen, get our water down the street at a 'tap' which was open 3 hours a day, and die at the age of 45 from preventable illnesses. Of COURSE we could live this way...but most f us don't WANT to, and neither do our arriving immigrants.

You seem to see this as a moral issue...and perhaps it is. If so, though, it belongs in the religious forum. Illegal immigration is a matter of law, and the right of people to set limits on their own society. It may ALSO be a matter of morality and 'selfishness' and 'looking out for number one'...but in that case, so are MOST modern issues...from family life, to sexuality, to income disparity, to the environment, to crime, etc etc. ALL of these issues have a 'moral' dimension...but few of us are willing to address this outside the religious forum.
LOL I agree, no one wants to live like that. The true agenda of these immigrants is just to bring more of their own here so that they can make this country into China/meixco/india jr. as far as I can see. They just want to bring more immigrants here with no goal in site.I want to know when do we stop bringing in more people, when do we become full, when he all start becoming homeless because housing is to expensive?
Sure bringing more people into your country is good but there needs to be a limit. If you were the mayor of a town on a hill, of 1000 people you would not let in more people indefinitely from around the other towns if 170 of your own town folks could not even find jobs.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:50 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,228,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungeon View Post
You take 1 statement and use it to paint the whole house. When we live in a country overflowing with people it will not look familiar to those of us born in a time where we didn';t live stacked like sardines

No, I am following your argument.

Old 08-17-2009, 10:00 AM

"Originally Posted by jungeon
What your not pointing out is that japan is overpopulated and that by 2100 there population will be 60 million because it has become too expensive to have children, most americans don't want to live like that. I don't know why you would even think for a second that Japan is not overpopulated because it is. Japan is a country where they have farms on top of roofs of high rise buildings and most people live in apartments. Its irresponsible to pack your country to the brim like that.
People who live in the suburbs don't want to live like people in japan who pay $500,000 to live in a tiny cramped apartment with 1 kid and a souse.
Also realize that Japan's land is much more fertile than any place in america and california is a desert and i destroying the environment by trying to support these huge populations.

"Not because it has "become too expensive to have children", but rather this is a trend seen in industrialized nations. Contraceptives and prevailing attitudes of not having children are huge factor. Overpopulation implies that the country is unable to sustain its population. Having the second largest economy in the world clearly proves otherwise. People who live in the suburbs may have to live like people in Japan. Remember that said suburbs were once farmlands (I know, I grew up in the Inland Empire). Things change. People now got used to the "dense" suburbs of houses on small quarter acre lots. Since CA is a desert, having suburban style housing is a bad idea in the first place. It's not the population aspect that is destroying the environment, but rather where we place our resources. Currently, our lawns and manicured planned communities are sucking up too much water."

gee so people just have less children because they feel like having less children.No, I been to Italy and know many Italians a nation well known for having many children. Now no one has more than 1 kid there not because of contraceptives or even the high amount of abortions, its because no one can afford to have 5 kids anymore unless you make $120,000 or more annually and have a second income. Kids cost money and no one can afford it, thats why people have abortions, it ruins them economically to have too many kids sometimes even 1. I'd argue that if your country's population has peaked its damn near as over populated as it is going to get. I f no one in Japan wants to have more kids there must be a good reason=cost.
Do you see any other desert with 40 million people living in it? No and theres good reason, any californian will tell you that they are overpopulated, not enough water, elcetrcity, running out of money and so on no jobs. etc run by gangs race war.
Most people in my experience who live in suburbs are of recent immigrants not long timers. Very few people came from farms to live on suburbs who I know as it is hard to go from such a peaceful farm life to a hectic sub city life and i use to live in a semi farm region.

"o acknowledge that in your arguments. The implication is that there are a finite, decreasing number of jobs (jobs we have left). In reality, this can grow. It has and does. Increasingly, in the West, you need to be a highly skilled worker. It was due to a lack of skill that my brother's company sent manufacturing over to Japan. The quality of the devices were MUCH better. R&D resumed in the US. The fact was that the Japanese workers had more experience, hence made fewer errors. These were connectivity devices (connecting Ipods to computers and TVs, ethernet converters, etc.)"

So you are only proving my point that jobs can be kept in america. In this case japan is more developed with higher labour cost yet america was more costlier because of workers who lacked skills and knowledge. This is precisely my point, american worker are more skilled than chinese workers-roughly equally skilled with the japs but it depends on the industry-yet we are focusing on sending jobs away rather than research. I'm not arguing a finite amount of jobs but realize more than 30 million americans are looking for and have no job. Its irresponisble to add mor epeople until that number comes down alot.

"&D remained in the US since we had more skilled workers in this field. It comes down to skill and cost. Hence why certain jobs mostly likely will not be outsourced since the skill level is not seen in said countries and it would be too costly to move to other countries."
You know they are outsourcing engineering and lawyers, soon the only fields left will be doctor, teacher or government worker

Old 08-17-2009, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
No, I am following your argument.
You should be ashamed trying to accuse me of being a racist becuase i'm pointing out the obvious. America will not look the same if we keep taking in millions of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates