Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 03:17 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,396,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
Are Immigrants bad for America
Yes, we are overcrowded already. The goverment should tighten up our immigration laws to mirror other countries laws, and tarrif the hell out of American Companies who move thier operations overseas. Our borders and economy should not be open to other countries who don't trade fairly with us.....
Overcrowded? You don't get out much do you? America has large swaths of land where there is no farming, and no one lives there. We have plenty of room to grow. We have one of the lowest percentage of population to land mass ratios in the world.

Old 08-16-2009, 03:47 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,639,313 times
Quote:
The problem is in proper capitalism outsourcing is not part of the game.
Uh... why not?

As jtur pointed out, the goal of a company in a capitalist system is to maximize profits for its shareholders.

Capitalism as an economic system owes nothing to the citizens of the societies in which it operates. If those citizens can educate themselves and get hired by profitable companies (or start their own) and make money, then good for them, but as a pure system of economics, capitalism has nothing to say about the "rights" of citizens in any given country, and certainly not about their job security.

Workers are only useful if they can contribute to shareholder earnings. If another set of overseas workers can serve that goal more efficiently than American workers, capitalism will naturally prefer the overseas workers.

Old 08-16-2009, 03:48 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,667,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaana View Post
oh, this is not very honest. it wasn't just the anglo-saxons but other immigrants that came and helped build america, some by slave labor. the chinese build the railroads and there are plenty of accounts of how if it weren't for them and some of the ingenuity that was learned from them, it wouldn't have been completed in a timely manner.

this is very, very self-serving and dishonest to say it was only "anglo-saxons'.

it's very clear that the biggest mistake america made was starting this country off as a major immigrant country and the biggest is millions of africans and slavery. well that sentiment is from people who view america as only rightfully belonging to "anglos", however.
Railroads constitute what percentage of this country's infrastructure? Are you honestly going to claim that the U.S. is a Chinese country because of some portions of our railroads?

Old 08-16-2009, 03:52 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,667,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Overcrowded? You don't get out much do you? America has large swaths of land where there is no farming, and no one lives there. We have plenty of room to grow. We have one of the lowest percentage of population to land mass ratios in the world.
In the meantime, here in Los Angeles we're on strict water rationing because of overcrowding, and the prices of energy aren't getting cheaper nationwide. Do you not understand that even if you could crowd a human into every last square foot of this country's physical area it would nevertheless be a very bad idea?

Old 08-16-2009, 04:26 PM

814 posts, read 2,307,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Railroads constitute what percentage of this country's infrastructure? Are you honestly going to claim that the U.S. is a Chinese country because of some portions of our railroads?
you made it clear in your post where you sentiments lie. anglo-saxons in america and basically 'whites' as being true americans.

what is your sentiment about the millions of african-americans brought over for slavery? should they all pack up and leave?

what is your point about anglo-saxons building america? are you afraid of being displaced? isn't this a capitalist country? when that system works at the disadvantage of americans, then it hits home, doesn't it? but when other countries resources and even labor is exploited and happens to work (for a time) in favor of americans then nothing is wrong with the world, right?

well, this situation is an inevitable but good reality check as to what should be done now and that pure capitalism doesn't work that well since it doesn't have much 'human' factor or 'i've got to feed my family too' involved much in the equation.

Old 08-16-2009, 04:31 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,317 posts, read 8,657,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Overcrowded? You don't get out much do you?
Actually I do get once in awile......thanks for asking..

Old 08-16-2009, 04:33 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,684,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaana View Post
you made it clear in your post where you sentiments lie. anglo-saxons in america and basically 'whites' as being true americans.

what is your sentiment about the millions of african-americans brought over for slavery? should they all pack up and leave?
I'd have to say "No", considering that they are all long-since dead and buried. Or maybe I'm off by about 150 years...

Old 08-16-2009, 04:35 PM

814 posts, read 2,307,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
I'd have to say "No", considering that they are all long-since dead and buried. Or maybe I'm off by about 150 years...
oops, i meant their descendants.

Old 08-16-2009, 05:01 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,417,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackZappa301 View Post
I can't blame the immigrants for coming to a country and taking advantage of opportunities, as that is indeed the American dream. Many are coming from bad situations / low life expectancy, things way worse than most could deal with on a day to day basis. It seems that you're frustrated at the immigrants and not the companies that are hiring them.
Or maybe frustrated at an immigration policy that fails to recognize that America is not a vast unpopulated void any longer. At some point we need to realize that open immigration cannot continue. We hit 300,000,000 awhile ago.
Its also common sense that immigration should be cut back if 10+% of the population are out of work.

Where they are coming from isn't my concern, what they are coming to is, if theyre coming here.

Old 08-16-2009, 05:05 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,396,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
In the meantime, here in Los Angeles we're on strict water rationing because of overcrowding, and the prices of energy aren't getting cheaper nationwide. Do you not understand that even if you could crowd a human into every last square foot of this country's physical area it would nevertheless be a very bad idea?
You're right, IN LOS ANGELES. Major urban areas have always had issues with overcrowding, but the rest of the country has plenty of room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates