Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2009, 07:23 PM

2,782 posts, read 4,164,177 times

Advertisements

I'm sure this boy is going to be happy.

YouTube - Circumcision Clinic

Old 10-05-2009, 07:30 PM

37,590 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
If someone wanted to cut off fingers it would be their choice? What about eye lids? Ears? Pull of fingernails?
You just jumped over a canyon there. Absolutely and totally off the planet. I'm good with our choice, and so is he. No regrets. AT ALL.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
You just jumped over a canyon there. Absolutely and totally off the planet. I'm good with our choice, and so is he. No regrets. AT ALL.
That's because he doesn't remember it, and has never known anything else. You could chop off half his penis and as long as everyone else is the same, he would have been "happy". It doesn't make your choice right.

New Zealand Turns Away from Circumcision
"Even some European and New Zealand Jewish people are not having their kids circumcised. People question the validity of it when it is botched and have a hard time dealing with the guilt." --DR PERCY PEASE

You ask any male. Would you take the very low risk of getting an infection, or the very low risk of having your penis looking like one of the "botched" procedures.
botched circumcisions - Google Search

Old 10-05-2009, 07:51 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,735,637 times
I found this quote to be very interesting:

Quote:
genital mutilation is nearly always carried out on minors and is therefore a violation of the rights of the child. The practice also violates the rights to health, security and physical integrity of the person, the right to be free from torture and cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment, and the right to life when the procedure results in death.
Can anyone determine which gender it is referring to?

IMO, it applies to males and females equally.

http://whqlibdoc.who.int/publication...596442_eng.pdf

Old 10-05-2009, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayneinspain View Post
I found this quote to be very interesting:
Can anyone determine which gender it is referring to?
IMO, it applies to males and females equally.
http://whqlibdoc.who.int/publication...596442_eng.pdf
There is a double standard because "female circumcision" can include cutting off the clitoris, which would be equivalent to cutting off the penis head.

Both procedures should not be performed on children.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:06 PM

American Thinker: Our Sexual Identity Crisis
"Yet the damage had been done. His tormented life which began in such a tragic way came to a tragic end: he did commit suicide, at the age of 38"

Old 10-05-2009, 09:23 PM

1,122 posts, read 2,315,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I hear you, I do. I had a lot of mixed feelings about the procedure and relied on my husband to choose. If we were going to have another son, I'd probably oppose circumcision. We're not having any more children, though, so that is moot. That's about as far as I am going to take it, and unfortunately, that's probably where most other opponents stand too.

Parents do have the right to deprive their children of parts of their anatomies, however--that's obvious. Appendectomies and tonsillectomies come easily to mind. I mentioned before that my daughter was born with heart problems; she was on medication for a year that suppressed extra electrical stimuli that made her heart beat faster. Those impulses weren't part of her anatomy, per se, but they were part of how she was born and how her body developed all on its own. We had the right to change that about her.

Yes, I understand that circumcision is not medically necessary. I am just pointing out that parents do have the right to alter their kids' bodies--we are just quibbling about where that line is drawn.
Let me make that easy....

medically necessary_________________________not medically necessary

Life threatening___________________________not life threatening

Child's personal rights____________________________religious based mutilation

Pro for infant cosmetic sugery______________________________anti-infant cosmetic surgery

refusal to put their infant child in pain__________________________using the exuse that they will not remember it

Moms who leave their children natural_____________________________mom's who cut it off simply because they don't like the way it looks

parents who are unconvetional________________________________paren ts who would prefer their sons fit in in the high school locker room (Probably to point to the other boy later and say...."Man, you're so lucky."

Parents without sexual issues__________________________parents who are a bit twisted and make sexual choices for their newborn infants

Parents concerned about sexism______________________parents who see a problem with cutting up a little girl but chop their little boys without a thought

That was easy now wasn't it. Where do you stand?

Old 10-05-2009, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I'm curious. How many adult men who've been circumcised feel that they've been mutilated? Has it ruined your self image or your sex life?
Actually, as I was grabbing some site quotes for this, I came across quite a few. One thing I read was about a man who filed a suit against his parents and when it was finished, he planned to never speak to them again.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I dont know how many, but I have heard 3 men state that they were glad their parent had them circumcised. Of course Im female and the subject rarely comes up.
Sadly, I've always been one of the guys and have heard this debate more than I need to know.

The nukber one reason men do prefer to be circumsized is.....drum roll please....because the girlfriend/wife thinks it is prettier that way.

All the men have wondered what it would be like.

One man in one conversation smiled and walked away (uncircumsized maybe? I wasn't about to ask.)

About a third were upset that their parents had not allowed them to decide.

80% of them were uneducated about the purpose of this. Didn't they teach that in health class??? I guess not.

edited to add: What about the so many men going the route of foreskin restoration? http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=...fp-t-701&sao=1

Last edited by flik_becky; 10-05-2009 at 09:53 PM..

Old 10-05-2009, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
It reduces risk of transmitting HPV to your partner. Which people now know can lead to cervical cancer.

Circumcision reduces risk of herpes and HPV infection - CNN.com
ONE MORE TIME:

Many people who are intact are born away from hospitals and from heavy education about health whereas most circumcisions happen in hospitals, thus the patients are more likely to grow up around the education about limiting partners.

Once more, statistics are presented without the full story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates