Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2009, 02:44 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,555,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWARK MAGIC View Post
My posting of a video of a circumcision was a pragmatic attempt to prove my opinion that circumcision is a horrible, brutal procedure that cannot be justified medically, scientifically, or spiritually. Hardly a rant.
My son didn't enjoy the procedure at all. He felt pain & the procedure in our case was dangerous.

If a person's son was calm: so be it. Perhaps if the experience was different the parent would perhaps entertain another opinion.

Certainly, different experiences evoke different opinions. BTW, Newark, I used your quote to illustrate that I'm chiming IN with you, not against you *L*

Kate

Last edited by sarahkate_m; 10-05-2009 at 02:45 PM.. Reason: Perspective!

Old 10-05-2009, 06:03 PM

2,058 posts, read 5,865,534 times
There are actually studies that determine that pain felt early on in childhood make more pain receptors or something like that. .. I don't know, but I remember my husband was talking about the negative effects of pain in an infant (he's a dorky scientist).

But anyhow, I can't stand the argument that it's your baby, it should be your choice. Well is it your choice to chop off his baby toe since we don't really need it anyways?

And NEWSFLASH: Penises are ugly, cut or uncut. Sorry guys, they serve a very useful and fun purpose, but other than that, they're ugly. Just leave your baby's penis alone.

To say a baby doesn't feel it or isn't effected by it is disingenuous. You aren't the baby, and often times babies retreat to sleep or a state of calm when they are shocked. Ick, I would never never cut off a part of my baby's body. It's an inhumane, outdated, unsubstantiated practice.

Old 10-05-2009, 06:18 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,697,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycat View Post
There are actually studies that determine that pain felt early on in childhood make more pain receptors or something like that. .. I don't know, but I remember my husband was talking about the negative effects of pain in an infant (he's a dorky scientist).

But anyhow, I can't stand the argument that it's your baby, it should be your choice. Well is it your choice to chop off his baby toe since we don't really need it anyways?

And NEWSFLASH: Penises are ugly, cut or uncut. Sorry guys, they serve a very useful and fun purpose, but other than that, they're ugly. Just leave your baby's penis alone.

To say a baby doesn't feel it or isn't effected by it is disingenuous. You aren't the baby, and often times babies retreat to sleep or a state of calm when they are shocked. Ick, I would never never cut off a part of my baby's body. It's an inhumane, outdated, unsubstantiated practice.
How many sons do you have?

Old 10-05-2009, 06:40 PM

2,782 posts, read 4,168,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycat View Post
I agree with you on the most part. If you are an adult and you want a circumcision, go for it. But performing this unnecessary surgical procedure on children without anesthetic is evil. You do not have the right to mutilate your child, in any way. Your child is not your property. Your child is a human being.

Old 10-05-2009, 06:53 PM

Tell ya what... When all you overly opinionated geniuses - who have no children - start having children, I expect you to consult with me before you do ANYTHING with and/or for your child.

Want to breastfeed? You MUST consult me first! There are, after all, risks involved.

Want to immunize your child? You MUST consult me first! There are, after all, risks involved.

Want to give your child milk to drink? You MUST consult me first! Some children are lactose intolerant, after all!

Want to keep your baby up past 8:00 PM? You MUST consult me first! I have decided that kids need to be sleeping by that time.

Want to change your child's diaper? You MUST consult me first - AND you MUST have a monitor camera in the changing area in order to ensure that you don't molest your baby, you stinking little perverts!

Wait a minute though. I have a better idea. I'm not going to wait for you to ask me what you can do with and for your kids. I'm just going to tell you. I'm going to enact idiotic laws that take away all parental rights and turn your kids into little wards of the state. Yeah, that outta work. Parents are stupid anyway. The state can do a better job.

Hiel Hitler!

Old 10-05-2009, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Tell ya what... When all you overly opinionated geniuses - who have no children - start having children, I expect you to consult with me before you do ANYTHING with and/or for your child.
I will not continue to over populate the world, you shouldn't be telling people to have more children. Of course, you don't think someone who believes in protecting children from legal guardian wanting to mutilate them.

Quote:
Want to breastfeed? You MUST consult me first! There are, after all, risks involved.
Your attempt to create a strawman, just show that you understand my position, and have decided it is too solid to try and push over.

Quote:
Want to immunize your child? You MUST consult me first! There are, after all, risks involved.
You fallacies do not fool anyone.

Quote:
Want to give your child milk to drink? You MUST consult me first! Some children are lactose intolerant, after all!

Quote:
Want to keep your baby up past 8:00 PM? You MUST consult me first! I have decided that kids need to be sleeping by that time.

Quote:
Want to change your child's diaper? You MUST consult me first - AND you MUST have a monitor camera in the changing area in order to ensure that you don't molest your baby, you stinking little perverts!
You clearly do not understand what a straw man is.
A straw man argument is an informal fallacy based on misrepresentation of an opponent's position.

Quote:
Wait a minute though. I have a better idea. I'm not going to wait for you to ask me what you can do with and for your kids. I'm just going to tell you. I'm going to enact idiotic laws that take away all parental rights and turn your kids into little wards of the state. Yeah, that outta work. Parents are stupid anyway. The state can do a better job.

Hiel Hitler!

Old 10-05-2009, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
I will not continue to over populate the world, you shouldn't be telling people to have more children. Of course, you don't think someone who believes in protecting children from legal guardian wanting to mutilate them.

Your attempt to create a strawman, just show that you understand my position, and have decided it is too solid to try and push over.

You fallacies do not fool anyone.

Wow 3 straw men arguments in a row..

A straw man argument is an informal fallacy based on misrepresentation of an opponent's position.
The Penis Nazis have spoken.

Epic fail indeed! LOL!

Now don't you have some children to start taking from their parents, rounding up and throwing in your institutions? Get busy now!

Old 10-05-2009, 07:10 PM

37,652 posts, read 46,067,796 times
Agreed. It IS my child, and it IS my right, and it IS my decision. There was never ANY question for me and my husband as to whether or not we were going to have our son circumcised. We knew that we would, long before the day came.

For what it's worth, my son is 16 now, and I've discussed this with him and asked him what he thought about our decision. He laughed and said "Are you kidding? No thanks on the extra skin mom - no way."

So he's happy. I'm happy.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:12 PM

Quote:
The Penis Nazis have spoken.

Epic fail indeed! LOL!
I do not understand how you can take an argument for compassion towards children and compare it to the nazis.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Agreed. It IS my child, and it IS my right, and it IS my decision. There was never ANY question for me and my husband as to whether or not we were going to have our son circumcised. We knew that we would, long before the day came.

For what it's worth, my son is 16 now, and I've discussed this with him and asked him what he thought about our decision. He laughed and said "Are you kidding? No thanks on the extra skin mom - no way."

So he's happy. I'm happy.
If someone wanted to cut off fingers it would be their choice? What about eye lids? Ears? Pull of fingernails?

If only you could have ask him about it after you rip off part of is penis, so they could slide the cup in then cut around the head. I'm sure he would have thank you for causing him that kind of pain because YOU wanted him too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates