Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2009, 09:50 PM

1,122 posts, read 2,318,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
What is it for? I don't understand. What is your ear lobe for?
If you are asking the differance....the ear lobe does not protect a gland. If you are asking for us to compare peircing girls ears to circumsision...first is it not a sexaul organ and second, I also do not condone putting a hole in my daughters body without her fully educated and of appropriate age of consent either.

But if you really don't know:

What is it?

Quote:
The prepuce is a common anatomical structure of the male and female external genitalia of all human and non-human primates;.......
The foreskin-also known as the prepuce is the flexible, doublelayered sheath of specialized skin that covers and protects the ***** (or head) of the normal penis. The foreskin is a uniquely specialized, sensitive, and functional organ of touch. No other part of the body serves the same purpose. The foreskin is more than just skin; it is a complex, highly mobile, and beautifully engineered organ composed of an intricate web of blood vessels, muscle, and nerves. In fact, the foreskin contains about 240 feet of nerve fibers and tens of thousands of specialized erotogenic nerve endings of various types, which can feel the slightest pressure, the lightest touch, the smallest motion, the subtlest changes in temperature, and the finest gradations in texture What Is the Foreskin? (http://www.enotalone.com/article/3509.html - broken link)
And what is it for?

It helps keep it clean

Quote:
It is often said that a circumcised penis is cleaner, or easier to keep clean, than an intact penis. Smegma (a natural substance composed of dead skin cells, normal flora, and secretions containing the natural antibacterial agent lysozyme) is more likely to accumulate when the foreskin is present.
Quote:
Parts of the foreskin, such as the mucosa (inner foreskin) and frenulum, are particularly sensitive and contribute to sexual pleasure. Specialized nerve endings enhance sexual pleasure and control [19].
  • The inner foreskin (mucosa) is the skin directly against the *****. Like the lining of the mouth, this tissue is thinner and of a different texture and color than the remainder of the skin covering the penis (shaft skin).
  • The frenulum is a particularly sensitive narrow membrane that runs down the ventral groove of the ***** and attaches to the inner foreskin.
  • The ridged band is the interface between the inner foreskin (mucosa) and the shaft skin. It often "puckers" past the tip of the *****. The band contains whorled smooth muscle fibers, giving it pronounced elastic properties that allow the foreskin to be retracted. The ridged band has a tactile sensitivity equivalent to that of the lips.
The foreskin provides ample loose skin for the penis to occupy when erect. It is a movable skin sheath for the penis during intercourse, reducing chafing and the need for artificial lubricants, and allowing the ***** and foreskin to naturally stimulate each other. Warren and Bigelow described some of the physiological functions of the foreskin in sexual activity.
Circumcision FAQ

Old 10-05-2009, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Virtually every topic in "Great Debates" would fit in another forum. So I don't see a point in avoiding discussion this subject here (and especially now after many posts I've seen from you).

Circumcision has little to do beyond religious beliefs anyway. How else would one explain its proliferation in countries with large Muslim and/or Jewish population (except America). So, it should be okay to debate based on religious grounds. I actually knew your argument was more along religious grounds than along scientific (evolution).

Or, may be you don't have answers to the questions I asked.
The cost for a circumcision is between $2000 and $2500. There is a lot to be "gained" by doing them.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:07 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,697,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
I do not understand how you can take an argument for compassion towards children and compare it to the nazis.
I know you don't understand it. And that's one of the main problems here.

You seem to think that the government knows better than parents how to raise their own children - and should act accordingly.

Thanks but no thanks, Adolf.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
I would like to point out that circumcision almost completely removes the risk of penile cancer which almost always results in the loss of the penis.

Circumcision saves at least as many as it loses.
Another sad uneducated response. Once again, as I have already pointed out....penile cancer almost always happens with old men...you know...the ones who can take care of themselves or who are in nursing homes. assisteed living, ect. with nurses who would understandably be uncomfortable with proper care.

Penile cancer is actually very easy to prevent in men with simple old fashioned proper hygeine, which of course starts with parents who can teach their child how to clean themselves.

Foreskin does not cause cancer, poor hygiene does.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWARK MAGIC View Post
The idea that circumcision prevented penile cancer was an idea raised by a doctor in the 1930's whose agenda was to promote circumcision. He said that the smegma produced by an uncircumcised penis was a carcinogen. He also thought that circumcision prevented epilepsy and masturbation.

The link between uncircumcised men and penile cancer has been subsequently disproved scientifically. Also, all one needs to do is look at statistics: In the countries where the majority of men are uncircumcised the rates of penile cancer are just about equal to those countries where the majority of men are circumcised.

Actually, there are more deaths anually due to complications from circumcision than there are from penile cancer.
Also, the American Cancer Society has oficially stated that it does not endorse routine circumcision as an effective means to prevent genital cancers.

Penile Cancer, Cervical Cancer and Circumcision Status

Old 10-05-2009, 10:26 PM

2,782 posts, read 4,168,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
I know you don't understand it. And that's one of the main problems here.

You seem to think that the government knows better than parents how to raise their own children - and should act accordingly.

Thanks but no thanks, Adolf.
You think a parent should do anything they want to a child.
I think you are delusional, you keep claiming I am a nazi because I think
cutting parts off babies is evil.

You think I am the government.
Quote:
You seem to think that the government knows better
You think that breast feeding is equivalent to cutting parts off a child.
Quote:
Want to breastfeed? You MUST consult me first!
You think an injection is the same as cutting parts off a child.
Quote:
Want to immunize your child? You MUST consult me first!
You think keeping a child up is the same as cutting parts off a child.
Quote:
Want to keep your baby up past 8:00 PM? You MUST consult me first!
You think changing diapers is the same as cutting parts of a child.
Quote:
Want to change your child's diaper? You MUST consult me first
You are delusional. The only think I can think of that would pull someone in to such a self deluded state, is the guilt that he/she cut a peace of his/her child.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:29 PM

2,782 posts, read 4,168,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flik_becky View Post
The cost for a circumcision is between $2000 and $2500. There is a lot to be "gained" by doing them.
It is a multimillion dollar industry. Of course some people don't want it to go.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I'd rep you again, Chessiemom, but you know the story. My son was the same way.
If you actually took the time to read the history you will quickly find that babies use to always be removed from earshot of the mother, had the procedure done, and then returned once they quit screaming. The doctors told the mothers their children felt no pain.

In more recent times, there was a bunch of people who decided that this was unethical. Parents then began to worry and want to be present. To quell their fears, doctors started giving them anesthesia. It is true that they may not feel as bad now days when they are first given the shot but that does not mean that it is not a painful procedure, obviously so if there is some prep done before hand to prevent the chidl from reacting from it.

But again, one must ask the question...Circumcision aside, are their risks with the shots?

It is linked to learning disabilities. What else....let me google around...less than a minute and we have this....

Quote:
Certain facts about the dangers of anesthesia are well known. In general, those who are very ill, extremely young, or elderly have increased risks of anesthesia related deaths, generally as a result of general anesthesia, which induces unconsciousness. Further, certain conditions may increase the dangers of anesthesia. Those with cardiac conditions, brain injury, or dysfunction of the liver may be at greater risk during surgery than those who are healthy.
The most common of the dangers of anesthesia is allergic reaction to one of the medications used. This again is usually noted and addressed immediately, since most patients undergoing general anesthesia are constantly monitored. Those who have an allergic reaction to a local anesthetic are likely to react fairly immediately. Dentists and doctors who use local anesthetics do have emergency supplies on hand should an allergic reaction occur.
Dangers of anesthesia to unborn children have also been well established. Women used to routinely be anesthetized during childbirth, but this is seldom the case now, even during cesarean sections. Instead women who must deliver via cesarean section tend to have an epidural, which blocks sensation from the abdomen downward. This minimizes anesthesia exposure to the baby.
Studies in 2003 show that drugs used in general anesthesia kill brain cells in developing rats and mice. Though these studies require follow-up with human populations, some have theorized that the dangers of anesthesia used in children may be greater than previously estimated. One might not only risk death but also interference in brain development, and perhaps long term memory issues or learning disabilities.
It has also been suggested that one of the possible dangers of anesthesia might be risky to the brain of healthy adults. Could anesthesia cause brain damage significant enough to affect memory, or to hasten conditions like Alzheimer’s disease? These are questions that have yet to be proven, and there are no statistics which can ultimately assess risk. Again, benefits of surgery generally outweigh the possible dangers of anesthesia.
What are the Dangers of Anesthesia?

Old 10-05-2009, 10:30 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,697,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
You think a parent should do anything they want to a child.
I think you are delusional, you keep claiming I am a nazi because I think
cutting parts off babies is evil.

You think I am the government.

You think that breast feeding is equivalent to cutting parts off a child.

You think an injection is the same as cutting parts off a child.

You think keeping a child up is the same as cutting parts off a child.

You think changing diapers is the same as cutting parts of a child.

You are delusional. The only think I can think of that would pull someone in to such a self deluded state, is the guilt that he/she cut a peace of his/her child.
You just DON'T get it, do you? You're so filled with rage, hatred, anger and vitriol that you just CAN'T see it. Your so obsessed with penises that you've gone completely irrational.

But here's a little heads up for you Adolf. You do NOT have the right to go marching around telling parents what they can and cannot do. You do NOT have that right, no matter how ego-maniacal you are.

So go ahead and tell me how to raise my kids. And I'll smile and tell you to kiss my hairy butt. Go ahead and circumcise or not circumcise your kid - if you ever have one. I won't try to tell you what to do, because I don't have that right.

And neither do you.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuteishungry View Post
Isn't it healthier, hygeine-wise to get it done anyway? Plus, those things look ugly uncircumsized; like a dying anteater.
Actually the foreskin is an organ that produces antiseptic compounds that help keep it clean.

You must remember what our culture has put in our brain is beautiful. It is hard to find a woman who doesn't wish to look as "beautiful" as some anorexic model.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates