Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 10:33 AM

412 posts, read 940,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
At the wedding be sure you and your family badger him about all of your ailments and grill him for free medical advice. He'll be sorry he ever brought it up.
LOL - good idea.

I wonder if this guy makes his friends and family call him doctor in social settings, too. For instance, at the wedding, it is expected that everyone refer to him as "doctor"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 11:30 AM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,209,346 times
Since the wedding invitations were being mailed, addressing their son as "Dr." would be the correct Emily Post type of thing to do.

I always address a doctor as "Doctor" or "Dr. ____"... as a sign of respect for their profession. If later on, I actually become friends with that person, I will then drop the "Dr." and just address them by first name.

My boyfriend's sister has a longtime college friend that is also close friends with the rest of their family. Affectionately, they always refer to him as "Dr. Bob". But that is also because they know a few "Bobs".

One of my high school English teachers had two Ph.D's. She wanted to be addressed as "Dr. ___", and would often tell us that in Germany, she would be addressed as "Dr. Dr. ____".

In Chinese culture, since we have a great respect for those with higher academic standing, addressing people by their academic titles just comes naturally to us.

And I'm not sure why anyone would want to p*ss of their doctors by refusing refer to them as "Dr."... lol

Old 04-04-2010, 08:55 PM

2,383 posts, read 6,062,011 times
I'm from the south and in the south it is the proper way to address someone if they hold that status. My grandfather was a doctor and I sent him a card oneday addressed to "Grandaddy" and my mom told me how inappropriate that was. Now...before you insult my mother, understand that she was raised that way and was taught that you address people by their proper names. My grandfather's proper name was "Dr. M___." Now, not sure where your friends are from or how old they are because I do think that there is an age thing about it. I'm not sure that in today's society it would be as big of a deal but back in the late 40's when my grandfather started practicing medicine, it was a HUGE deal!

Old 04-05-2010, 08:15 AM

5,664 posts, read 5,096,808 times
I have two Masters' degrees. Can I expect to be addressed as "Master"? That may not go over well at first, particularly with some co-workers and neighbors who are of a particular race, but I'm sure once they understand how long and hard I worked to get those degrees they'll go along with it.

I agree with addressing a Dr. as such in the context of matters dealing with health issues, or in a professional setting otherwise, but for social and somewhat more casual occasions, all I can say is "How freaking pretentious!!"

I call my dentist Joe and my family doctor Sam, and they call me Bob. Neither is meant as a slight to their position or accomplishments. Honorifics are sometimes best saved for award ceremonies or tombstones.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:36 PM

11,762 posts, read 14,675,748 times
At the University of Vermont medical school they have a ceremony every year when they give the students their white coats, and it often gets covered by the local TV station. One year when I saw that story I heard one of the students say how humbling the experience was. My reaction was, "That won't last."

Here in Vermont, where almost everyone is very casual, I call my doctor, my dentist, and all of the many doctors I interact with professionally by their first names. I would think it is no more appropriate for me to call them "Doctor" than it would be for me to expect them to call me "Mr."

Old 04-05-2010, 08:39 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,293,311 times
My response would be something along the lines of "if you believe it was addressed incorrectly, don't send it back. And don't wait for a replacement invitation either."

Old 04-06-2010, 11:53 AM

1,921 posts, read 4,779,046 times
I call Dr's doctors at least initially since that's how I was raised. We usually end up calling each other by first names anyway after they see my degree. However I cringe every time I'm called doctor since it just feels so unnatural to me.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:08 PM

5,077 posts, read 14,653,894 times
I work with all doctors so from a standpoint of respect, you do and would address them as such and it has a lot to do with age too. When patients aren't around all of the doctors and I call each other by first name.
A lot of more senior doctors still want to be addressed as "Doctor" so and so. I've always heard on any type of invitation you use "Doctor and Mrs." or whoever the Doc is. It really doesn't have anything to do with hierarchy, I think it's more of a respect issue.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:13 PM

275 posts, read 837,131 times
i guess from "proper" standards, an invitation should be written with one's title... but i'm not really into that and think it's silly that they objected. as a physician myself, i expect that my patients will call me doctor (not my first name) unless i know them in a personal way (i.e. from other community activities or something). if the patient has a degree that makes her a doctor (phd/md/etc), i will call her doctor as well. i do not call my patients by their first names. outside of the medical setting, i prefer not to walk around with an "im a doctor" sign and usually feel weird having to tell people i am one when they ask.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:27 PM

50,400 posts, read 64,119,967 times
Is the son a physician? If he's a PhD, then it's kind of affected to be referred to as Dr. outside of a professional setting, although on an envelope it would be proper.
What really bugs me is when, in a newspaper article for example, everyone else is referred as Joe Blow, and Sam Jones, but it's Dr. so and so. Like we care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates