Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 10:34 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,870,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
OK, You're a Doctor.
This, couldn't have summed it up better. Is the guy not still a "Mister" ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 01:26 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,888,988 times
I live in a college town. PhD's are a dime a dozen. I have a Masters degree. When told I must call someone Doctor I have a simple reponse. "Happy to, Dr. ...! You may call me Master Keim."

Old 04-09-2010, 04:28 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,274,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post

You wouldn't call a married woman Ms. instead of Mrs. if she prefers Mrs, would you?
I think this one bugs people more than the doctor one.

Old 04-09-2010, 07:02 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,501,055 times
It sounds like the "doctor" isn't all that close to the couple getting married or they would have known he was a doctor. So I'm questioning why he was invited at all.

The "doctor", his family, and social circle are making much ado about nothing. Oh me oh my, they are so offended. sigh. No class. Just get over it already.

One of my closest friends, whom I've known since college, is a medical doctor. I would NEVER call her Dr. or use that title on her personal correspondance. Nor does she use it when she sends me greeting cards, etc. About the only time I use her Dr title is when I'm teasing her about the medical profession.

Signed,
Easybreezy, BA

Old 04-09-2010, 07:03 PM

122 posts, read 331,377 times
so if i have a cpa, should i insist everyone include the cpa at the end of my name?

Old 04-10-2010, 01:11 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,061,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Many doctors who use the title when making a reservation do so because it generally gets them preferential treatment.

In a purely social situation, I would think it better not to announce the fact that one is a doctor so as to avoid the opportunity for someone to ask for medical advice.
I agree. If folks knew a "doctor" was in the house, the poor doc would wind up having some folks ask for medical advice. Being a medical doctor is a demanding job and many are on-call so when they are off-duty, the last thing they would want to think about is work. I am not a doctor but when folks find out about my profession, I get all sorts of request for assistance. I love what I do but when I'm off the clock, I don't want to think about work!

Old 04-10-2010, 01:15 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,061,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
I have two Masters' degrees. Can I expect to be addressed as "Master"? That may not go over well at first, particularly with some co-workers and neighbors who are of a particular race, but I'm sure once they understand how long and hard I worked to get those degrees they'll go along with it.

I agree with addressing a Dr. as such in the context of matters dealing with health issues, or in a professional setting otherwise, but for social and somewhat more casual occasions, all I can say is "How freaking pretentious!!"

I call my dentist Joe and my family doctor Sam, and they call me Bob. Neither is meant as a slight to their position or accomplishments. Honorifics are sometimes best saved for award ceremonies or tombstones.
I've been called "master" by some folks after I obtained my master's degree. It gets old after a while.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:07 PM

467 posts, read 1,524,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
It's a shame you judge candidates that way. There are plenty of students who attend the brick and mortar universities that cheat off one another and get through college with term papers written by others and cramming for tests. A lot of what you learn in any school, be it online or in a classroom is rarely absorbed in the long run. You hone your craft in the workplace and I don't believe the degree you possess for certain career fields really makes all that much of a difference. Is it reassuring to know that your family physician graduated from Harvard Medical? Sure. But is it necessary for an Anthropologist or urban planner to have a degree from Yale?
No, but there's a big difference between wanting my urban planner to have a degree from Yale and not wanting him to have a phd from an online diploma mill. Good luck finding a legitimate online phd program.

I don't much care whether any professional has a degree from Harvard, Ohio State, or Central Michigan. But those are all legitimate schools with accreditation.

When I interview folks, I can generally determine if they cheated their way through college. One of the nice things about working in a math-heavy industry.

Old 04-12-2010, 06:52 AM

88,869 posts, read 85,274,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
If you worked 80+ hours per week for 7+ years to be a doctor, you would want to be called by it too.

What is the big deal? I sense a lot of jealousy amongst people on this thead.

I am not a doctor, but I respect the work people have put into becoming one.

You wouldn't call a married woman Ms. instead of Mrs. if she prefers Mrs, would you?
The big deal is that the "Dr." is making a big deal out of not being addressed as doctor on a dang wedding invitation. What the heck does that have to do with how many years you chose to go to school? A person getting married has a huge amount of work to do, and may be addressing invitations to HUNDREDS of people! This schmoe is so caught up in his own acheivements that he feels insulted because the person getting married wasn't so tuned into the status of his degree that she or he forgot to make sure his envelope said "doctor"? This is an person who needs to spend some time brushing up on personal interaction skills now that he's out of school and has entered the real world. Geez.

Jealousy has nothing to do with it. That was a weird thing to say. Yes, the money a doctor makes is nice, but you have to look at yucky body parts and innards all the time. Not for me.

Old 04-12-2010, 07:01 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,231,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The big deal is that the "Dr." is making a big deal out of not being addressed as doctor on a dang wedding invitation. What the heck does that have to do with how many years you chose to go to school? A person getting married has a huge amount of work to do, and may be addressing invitations to HUNDREDS of people! This schmoe is so caught up in his own acheivements that he feels insulted because the person getting married wasn't so tuned into the status of his degree that she or he forgot to make sure his envelope said "doctor"? This is an person who needs to spend some time brushing up on personal interaction skills now that he's out of school and has entered the real world. Geez.

Jealousy has nothing to do with it. That was a weird thing to say. Yes, the money a doctor makes is nice, but you have to look at yucky body parts and innards all the time. Not for me.
I personally wouldn't make a big deal out of it, but I don't understand why so many people on this thread are so offended by this.

Just call him doctor, what is the big deal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates