Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 01:41 PM

88,865 posts, read 85,274,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Well, I can kind of understand him.
When my husband was promoted to an E-5 in the Army he was offended when ever his subordinates did not address him as Seargent.
But I guess in a way that is different. In the Army you kind of have to do that.
As respect to this man, I would call him Doctor if that what he want. But then he has to expect people to later on ask him medical questions at all times, even on his vacation because he is obviously still, a Doctor, if you know what I mean.
That's different. His military subordinates SHOULD call him by his title.

The apples-to-apples comparison would be: Would he have thrown a hissy if he received a wedding invitation not addressed as "Sergeant"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 01:45 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,187,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwalkr View Post
Speaking of doctorates, there's a push by LPNs who are earning doctorates in nursing to be called 'Doctors'. The AMA is fighting against this since this will 'confuse' the general public.
I never thought I'd use these words, but "OMG!" That's hilarious.

I wonder what happens if a PhD is hospitalized. Does the whole staff get "confused"?

Old 04-14-2010, 03:47 PM

1,921 posts, read 4,783,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I never thought I'd use these words, but "OMG!" That's hilarious.

I wonder what happens if a PhD is hospitalized. Does the whole staff get "confused"?
Yes, I could imagine a scenario with a MD, LPN-PhD, and PhD:

"Doctor (LPN), please give this Doctor (phD) a sponge bath", says the MD

"Surely you don't mean me, I'm too overqualified!" says the LPN

"Yes I mean you, and don't call me Shirley!" replies the MD.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:19 PM

275 posts, read 837,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwalkr View Post
"Yes I mean you, and don't call me Shirley!" replies the MD.
lol!

Old 04-14-2010, 08:25 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,274,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
If you schedule an appointment and they say you will see Dr. xxxx, wouldn't you be upset if they actually scheduled you to see a LPN instead?

I can undserstand that confusion

They aren't LPNs. They have a doctorate in nursing. I have met a few of these professionals and maybe I'm lucky in who I have met and worked with but they were all more patient friendly, time spent with patient, listeners than any MD.

They earned a doctorate.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:39 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,187,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
They aren't LPNs. They have a doctorate in nursing. .

A person with a doctorate in nursing can be a floor sweeper, if that's her job. A person is an LPN if the person is hired by the employer to perform the functions of an LPN. She has no right to practice medicine, under the law. That means she's still a nurse, no matter if she has a doctorate or not.

If a football coach has a doctorate in Physical Education, he's still a Coach, because that's what he does. A friend of mine is a preacher who has a doctorate in theology. He's still a preacher, because that's what he does.

Old 04-15-2010, 06:51 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,231,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
They aren't LPNs. They have a doctorate in nursing. I have met a few of these professionals and maybe I'm lucky in who I have met and worked with but they were all more patient friendly, time spent with patient, listeners than any MD.

They earned a doctorate.
Sorry, I thought you had to be an LPN before you got your doctorate in Nursing. I meant to refer to nurses who have earned their doctorate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates